Snorkeling Fins Rub Feet Raw

ars4216

How do I avoid my fins rubbing the top of my feet raw while snorkeling? On our last trip, my feet hurt after a while and I had to get out. Any tips on how to avoid this? Thank you for any responses!

We love to snorkel and purchased our snorkel gear from a dive shop, so the fit is great. However, your fins really are not necessary, try snorkeling without them. Sometimes my husband doesn't pack his fins just because of weight of the suitcase. He does just fine. If you are more comfortable with them, try Vaseline on top of your feet, it may help.

your fins don't fit!

If they are really YOUR fins, then you need to get fins that fit. If they were rental fins then you might want to consider getting fins that fit.

Further information . . .

There are two types of fins: full foot fins and strap fins

Full foot fins are intended to fit like shoes and if you manage to find a set that fits well they are all good and fine. Most rental fins are full foot and many people think that if the fit OK that's good enuf for the excursion. That may or may not be true. A bad shoe can mess up my foot fast. If a full foot fin is tight ... expect problems. If a full foot fin is LOOSE ... expect problems. If you are an occasional user and find a full foot fin that fits well and is comfortable for the long haul then by all means use them. If they tear your feet up, read on.

A strap fin usually has a very square foot pocket and altho you can adjust the strap for the size of your foot that big square pocket is heck on toes worn bare. Good fins ... good strap fins ... are intended/designed to be worn with a set of dive boots. A strap fin wrapped around a good fitting dive boot is VERY comfortable and any reputable dive shop can fix you up IF you plan to advance from the occasional user who has swimming pool quality equipment, to the experienced user. Cuz good fins and a set of boots is gonna run $200 or more. A lot you say? Yes it is, cept like many things you get what you pay for and my fins are 40 years old and despite needing the straps replaced a few times, coupled with my boots, just replaced after 25 years, they have served well.

'course if you are not sure if you will ever snorkel again .... sore feet just may not be so bad . . .

don't like this discussion???? Compare all points to DownHill Ski Equipment. Inexpensive vs rental et al . . .

Just to add to what Capt. BJ said. It truly sounds like the fins don't fit. It will be an issue everytime for you. But even with full foot fins that fit, it is rubbing against bare skin. I use snorkel/dive socks to snorkel with or dive with on vacation. When I travel, I don't want the weight of my heavier, strap foot fins/boots. So I have a good set of full foot fins and use the socks. You can find them at Divers Direct, Leisure Pro or other scuba shops online.

Thank you do much for the responses. Up until this point, we have just used the provided snorkel gear on excursions. We purchased snorkeling gear at our local Bass Pro Shop, they are strap fins. Eventually I will look into the boot, thank you for that tip. For now I plan on going with the sock. Thank you so much for all the helpful information!!! =)

• 2 months later...
I had a strap on my fin that rubbed; not poor fit, but just the design of the rubber strap, so picked up a pair of cheapie lycra socks in the women's dept. Worked just as good as the more expensive 'dive' socks. :)

Excuse for sounding stupid, but lycra socks? What are they? What would I look for? When I snorkle, and the skin pulls away from the toe, it is uncomfortable.

I am a diver and have fins that fit my rock boots on my drysuit. I use these fins for snorkleing and I find that aqua sock/shoes with a rubber sole work well. They cover my whole foot and the rubber sole keeps my toes from being pushed against the pocket. Dive boots are 3mm over ankle high, where aqua socks are like loafers

• 2 weeks later...

We use Alpha fins http://www.swim2000.com/product/aquasphere-alpha-fins/

they float and will not chaff, they are made of the same soft material as crocs. They do not place the same amount of stress on your joints like full size fins so you can swim longer without the risk of cramping if you are not used to using fins. Since they are not a full size fin they are very easy to pack. I can swim free style while snorkeling which allows me to cover long distances fast. You can swim out to the dive boats and beyond with ease if you are a competent swimmer.

Here is a link to socks for flippers.

http://www.swim2000.com/product/speedo-neo-socks-for-fins/

I wear lycra socks with my booties to keep my feet happy.

I have a toe that turns under slightly from being broken twice, and the socks keep my toes moving comfortably in the bootie.

If I am forced to wear full-foot fins, I always wear a pair of my hubby's old sweatsocks with them. It keeps my feet happy, and provides amusement for everyone else.

Also, the socks keep any sand or grit away from my feet. That's particularly important when I'm going to be wet for several days in a row, on dive trips and cruises.

Good luck!

Wendy

Archived