Need Ideas After Sunrise Volcano Bike Tour

redtinarn

We (my DH 41, DS 16, DD 13 and myself 41) are renting a jeep and doing the Road to Hana our first day on Maui. Our 2nd day we are doing the sunrise volcano bike tour. I was wondering what we should do afterwards before we leave the island. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

We just got back from Maui this week. It is a beautiful island! Biking down the volcano, back-to-back with the trip to Hana sounds like plenty to do in 2 days! I would take the afternoon and find a beautiful Maui beach to enjoy. Although Maui is a great place to be active, it is also a great place to slow down and experience the relaxing side of Hawaii! Aloha :)

We just got back from Maui this week. It is a beautiful island! Biking down the volcano, back-to-back with the trip to Hana sounds like plenty to do in 2 days! I would take the afternoon and find a beautiful Maui beach to enjoy. Although Maui is a great place to be active, it is also a great place to slow down and experience the relaxing side of Hawaii! Aloha :)

Excellent point! I was thinking of doing just that! I guess we'll pick a beach right by the harbor. Thanks!

Before bike tour, or after, depends on time and light left...stop at visitor center in volcano park and get map to see all the other sites there.Lots of really great sites to see besides lava...we spent 2 days there on car tour on own and found lots off the beaten track...don t want to disappoint you, but bike tour we took was long,hot,and very little lava flow at that time,but 1 yr.ago, so hope better for you....still an experience...{ps,,,the ride is bumpy and sort of a challenge,so do some riding to get in shape ...I did a few miles every day, but live in FL and flat,so it was hard....but,hey Im a senior citizen....:rolleyes:

Before bike tour, or after, depends on time and light left...stop at visitor center in volcano park and get map to see all the other sites there.Lots of really great sites to see besides lava...we spent 2 days there on car tour on own and found lots off the beaten track...don t want to disappoint you, but bike tour we took was long,hot,and very little lava flow at that time,but 1 yr.ago, so hope better for you....still an experience...{ps,,,the ride is bumpy and sort of a challenge,so do some riding to get in shape ...I did a few miles every day, but live in FL and flat,so it was hard....but,hey Im a senior citizen....:rolleyes:

Are you sure you're talking about the same volcano. Haleakala, as far as I know, is not active and there would not be any lava flow. I could be wrong, so if you know something I don't please share.

My fiance and I will be on our honeymoon on the 7/3 cruise. It sounds like you are on the same cruise. I'm 41 and she's 35 and our plans are identicle to yours. Were driving to Hana on the first day, fireworks that night and then up early for sunset on the volcano and biking down. After we are done we plan to find a good beach near the ship to chill. We're from the east coast and getting up early will be natural but we fully expect that our batteries will drain by that afternoon. Nothing worse than being on vacation and being exhausted... It's going to be a fun time!

My fiance and I will be on our honeymoon on the 7/3 cruise. It sounds like you are on the same cruise. I'm 41 and she's 35 and our plans are identicle to yours. Were driving to Hana on the first day, fireworks that night and then up early for sunset on the volcano and biking down. After we are done we plan to find a good beach near the ship to chill. We're from the east coast and getting up early will be natural but we fully expect that our batteries will drain by that afternoon. Nothing worse than being on vacation and being exhausted... It's going to be a fun time!

We're doing the sunrise bike tour with Cruiser Phil's Volcano riders. who are you using?

cruiser46143,

What "tour" did you do with Haleakala Bike Company? We went with Cruiser Phil a couple of years ago and did the sunrise tour. We loved it!

But since we've experienced the sunrise, we just wanted to do the bike ride (and not at 2 or 3 AM) this time so we have a little more time to take in the scenery. Our only complaint with Cruiser Phil's, and I suspect all tour companies are the same, is that they keep you riding so fast that you don't get to look at the scenery (or you'll crash!). They stop for photo ops and to let everyone catch up, but we would like to slow the pace a little so we can look around a little more.

Did you just rent bikes and ride on your own? Did you have a tour guide? Was it a particular "package"? Thank you!!!

we did Haleakala Bike Company's sunrise tour - had to leave the ship at 2:30 am and we left the bike company around 3:45 am to make it. the way the tour works is you take a few pics at the top and a few other stops so by the time they fit you for your bike all of the crazies driving down from sunrise have already passed. we got to go down at our own pace (they do not make you ride as a group you get to go on your own!!) and it was absolutely breathtaking. We stopped for breakfast at the Kula Lodge on the way down - which has an amazing view and great breakfast. definitely very memorable! I would do sunrise again if I were you - you truly haven't done it unless you have taken Frank's tour with Haleakala . I PROMISE you won't regret it!!

so no not all tour companies are the same - Haleakala Bike Co gives you their number and some very specific instructions on how to get back to their location and then you are on your own. You don't have to worry about other slow riders, a line of dominoes falling if one rider falls off and you can stop and enjoy the scenery all day if you wish. We got back to the shop probably around 11am but we could have kept the bikes until 4pm but we were done biking by then!! Honestly I cannot say enough good things about it.

Archived