QG on the QV

warringtonian

Thanks to a cheap fare and the lure of $700 OBC we tried a five day voyage on the Queen Victoria in the Queens Grill. Was it worth it?

CABIN:

sorry, stateroom, sorry, suite: We had a Q5 right at the stern with a huge balcony and a wonderful view although the weather kept us indoors most of the time. We had a similar suite on Princess last year and I love being able to watch the wake and the port receding from view. When we checked in several people introduced themselves and I never did catch which one was the butler. In the afternoons we were presented with a tray of canapes. I pointed that five canapes didn't really work with two people and we were promised six in future. Sure enough, the next day we got six but then on the following day we didn't get any. Serves us right for being greedy. On formal nights the brochure promises a special turn-down surprise. I've no idea what it was as it never arrived, although I did have unusually vivid dreams that night so maybe it was some sort of strange succubus that was gone by morning.

FOOD:

Food in the Queens Grill is extremely well presented as you would expect. We had asked for a table for two but we were given a table for four laid for two. Strangely they set the places side by side rather than opposite each other. I must admit that after thirty years of marriage it probably is better to stare at the other guests rather than at each other. The table was furthest from the window and right by the waiter's station so it was a bit unnerving having the waiter standing over us chatting through the meals, although he was a nice chap.

On the second day I had gazpacho and when the maitre'd asked me how it was I must have pulled a face as he wanted me to say why I didn't like it. I pointed out that I would expect gazpacho to have a taste of vinegar and olive oil and not just comminuted tomatoes and hopefully be served with croûtons and other garnishes. He agreed that I should have had croûtons but otherwise that it was a matter of taste. I presume that this soup, billed as gazpacho Andalucia, comes from a region of Spain where the natives are easily satisfied.

Next day I had eggs benedict for breakfast which was nice but not as good as that served in Sabatinis on Emerald Princess. Whereas Princess had crisp muffins, ham and a thick holladaise sauce, Cunard serve soggy muffins, Canadian bacon (thin and formed in a suspiciously round circle) and a very thin sauce.

I thought that I would test them on the next night. The menu listed fillet steak au poivre and I asked if they could do steak diane but I was told that I would have to give a day's notice. Well, if they took the fillet steak, added a few mushrooms, flamed it in brandy and poured a bit of cream over it it would be steak diane, near enough. A ten-minute job. In the end I settled for the steak au poivre which I must admit was very good.

On the whole the dinner menu doesn't have as many options as you might expect. Piscatorially they majored heavily on sole. On the first night they had sole meuniere, then on the second night rolled fillets of sole and on the third goujons of sole. Great for lovers of sole food. Unfortunately my wife is a vegetarian as I was dying to have the beef wellington but it is only served for two people.

The service is excellent and more informal than I expected. For the benefit of those worried about what to wear at least half of the men didn't wear a tie on elegant casual nights and on formal nights at least one had a ready-tied bow tie. Yes, it was me!

WELL, WAS IT WORTH IT?

For the experience, yes, but on our next voyage on the QE we have booked Princess Grill.

Hi - we had a suite at the stern too - I think it was 4189 - right on the starboard corner (I've been to bed too many times to remember the exact number) The room was lovely. We too got 5 canapes between 2 of us. The turndown treats were usually chocolates or brandy snaps which were left in our room for our return at the end of the evening. With regard to the dining room - we too had a table by the Maitre'd station, but in the centre of the room - wonder if they allocate sections in the dining room to particular sections of cabin areas? Have to say though that the service we had in the dining room was second to none and outshone QM2 QG by a mile. I think by the end of our trip they could have been forgiven for thinking of me as having some kind of fixation with flambe. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff (or they gave a very good impression that it wasn't). Our butler Primo on QM2 was superb. Can't even remember the name of the one on QV. I am now counting the days until November when I am back on QM2. Enjoy your next trip.

Thanks to a cheap fare and the lure of $700 OBC we tried a five day voyage on the Queen Victoria in the Queens Grill. Was it worth it?

Unfortunately my wife is a vegetarian as I was dying to have the beef wellington but it is only served for two people.

It seems that overall you do not have the best of experiences. In QG I would expect the best.

Am I missing something? Could they have not served you beef wellington for two but with only you eating some of it and leaving the rest?

Peter

We had a pretty terrible experience in QG a few weeks ago on the QV. They decided to change the menu three days into the cruise so instead of having the regular menu with the a la carte they changed it to the menu that didn't change and was the same every night with the exception of the spa menu. It was complete chaos and the poor waiters were tearing their hair out! The food was delicious but waiting times were very over the top. Although I did manage to get beef wellington for one when I ordered it the night before. Previously we have found that the QG will accommodate any request but it seemed to change with the new menu. Something caught my eye on the Britannia menu and I asked if the next night it would be possible to have it but was told no because then everyone would be asking for different things! I was also told a lady asked for fish and chips for lunch and was refused. I don't know if the PG went though this transition as well but I can only hope that by our next cruise in August they have managed to iron out the creases.

However I must say that I was very disappointed the escargots had been taken off the menu and I ordered them two nights running, both times they forgot. But the third night I finally got them and double portions! I didn't really see why they needed to change it but seemed a strange time to change half way through a cruise rather than at the beginning of one.

Congrats on getting the beef wellington. I asked our waiter if on a longer cruise the menu would change but they didn't know - in November we're in PG for 18 days on the QE. Also a lot of the staff seem to be waiting to hear if they will be moving to the Queen Elizabeth. Apparently they won't know until much later. So I may meet them again.

We had a pretty terrible experience in QG a few weeks ago on the QV. They decided to change the menu three days into the cruise so instead of having the regular menu with the a la carte they changed it to the menu that didn't change and was the same every night with the exception of the spa menu.

Sorry, Bkecky, are you saying that the daily menu has been withdrawn?

We will be on board on Monday (QG). Our last trip was in December and we were actively encouraged to order off menu, so has that changed also?

Who was Maitre d' ?

Stewart

Sorry, Bkecky, are you saying that the daily menu has been withdrawn?

We will be on board on Monday (QG). Our last trip was in December and we were actively encouraged to order off menu, so has that changed also?

Who was Maitre d' ?

Stewart

When I was on, yes. It was changed 18th May. However there were so many complaints so perhaps they decided to revert back? You can still order off menu but some things seemed to be completely unavailable.. I would say order as far in advance as you can and double check. Andrew was the maitre d' at the time. I can only hope that they have decided to change back or that they have overcome their teething problems. The new menu was very nice, although very rich. There were such things as lobster thermidore and steak au poivre. Being non fish eaters we struggled past steak and rack of lamb, which was a bit heavy every night but if you eat seafood you may just love it!

I should mention that the lunch menu still changes every day. I found the biggest disappointment was that I enjoy getting the menus in the cabin and looking to see what I was going to have that night but I already knew! Sometimes when I pre-ordered I was in the mood for it the night before but then on the day didn't fancy it so much. Bit late by that point though!

We were told in PG to ask for what we wanted & they would try to do it. My husband loved the surf & turf on the old menus. Our Maitre'd, Ica (leaving for the QE) told him as fillet steak & lobster were on the menu he could just have them together.

We had the beef wellington. We said we liked it, but I like medium rare & DH likes medium/well. Ica produced it by finishing his off at the table so that it was cooked to his taste.

They couldn't do enough for us :D

We were told in PG to ask for what we wanted & they would try to do it. My husband loved the surf & turf on the old menus. Our Maitre'd, Ica (leaving for the QE) told him as fillet steak & lobster were on the menu he could just have them together.

We had the beef wellington. We said we liked it, but I like medium rare & DH likes medium/well. Ica produced it by finishing his off at the table so that it was cooked to his taste.

They couldn't do enough for us :D

This is precisely the sort of service I would expect in the grills - with the amount extra that they cost, I would hope that long may it remain.

Whilst I love the grills and hope to travel in them whenever I am on a Cunard ship, they still have to remain value for money - I wouldn't travel in them just because they were grill class. And the dining is a big part of that value for money.

Hmm.. my husband slummed it :) and had the Beef Wellington in the Britannia Restaurant last week - he said it was extremely good, and cooked to perfection but there is no doubt at all that it would have fed at least 3!

We travelled PG on the QE2 and the restaurant service was faultless as was the food. Our experience in the Brittania over the last 2 weeks was again faultless service, but the quality could be a little bit erratic. I am not sure I would now pay the considerably extra money now demanded for PG just to get different food. I think I would rather pay less for a Britannia Balcony and go on more cruises!

Hmm.. my husband slummed it :) and had the Beef Wellington in the Britannia Restaurant last week - he said it was extremely good, and cooked to perfection but there is no doubt at all that it would have fed at least 3!

We travelled PG on the QE2 and the restaurant service was faultless as was the food. Our experience in the Brittania over the last 2 weeks was again faultless service, but the quality could be a little bit erratic. I am not sure I would now pay the considerably extra money now demanded for PG just to get different food. I think I would rather pay less for a Britannia Balcony and go on more cruises!

I usually travel QG but back in the QE2 days I did a week in the Mauretania and I have to say the food was superb! However on my recent cruise on the QV I dined on the Deputy Captain's table and the difference between the Britannia and QG was enormous! I got the food much quicker but the quality was just not as good and not as well presented. And this wasn't just me being snobby because my friend was in the Britannia and said sometimes she had a great meal and then other times the food was not so good. A bit hit and miss it seemed!

I know what you mean Becky. We dined with David Stephenson, the hotel manager on QM2 once. The service was excellent, but the food not qutie there.

Where's your picture gone? You looked lovely :)

I know what you mean Becky. We dined with David Stephenson, the hotel manager on QM2 once. The service was excellent, but the food not qutie there.

Where's your picture gone? You looked lovely :)

Well on the cruise, which I am doing alone I am in Britannia, no way I could afford the single supplement of the QG so I will be able to make a more rounded judgement rather than basing it on one evening.

I only had it up so you coul recognise me from the roll call! I worry someone might recognise me moaning about the QG haha!

Archived