NCL Kids Club Age Group Strictness

dancergirlmom

We are traveling on the Pearl over Thanksgiving with 3 families including 11 kids. There are (7) ten year-olds in the group, (2) 14 year-olds, one 12 year old, and one 9 year old. The 12 year old really wants to be with the 14 year olds and the 9 year old really wants to be with the ten year olds. Will they allow this, if we beg? They've all been friends forever...and we don't want two unhappy kids in the group. Can you fib on the forms?

Considering you have to show ID to get on the ship (passport or birth certificate plus government-issued photo ID), fibbing on the forms will only generate grief and aggravation at check-in.

Your best bet, based on what I've read on these boards, is to go to the kids' clubs upon boarding and plead your case with the staff.

My understanding is that they may allow kids to move down in age group, but they won't let them move up. Your situation is quite unique, mind you, so it's certainly worth trying, but over thanksgiving there are going to be a LOT of kids, so space in the groups will be tight. With so many ten year olds and one nine that is obviously part of the group, I'd be optimistic about that one, but there are no guarantees.

I can tell you that the 12 year old will absolutely not be allowed to go in the teen group. It's good to keep in mind, also, that the two 14 year olds that you know are NOT going to be the only teens in that group, and who knows what your 12 year old would be exposed to behaviour-wise. There's a reason they have age cut-offs, especially between Kids Crew and Teen Crew. They should end up in the same group as your 10 year olds, though perhaps they consider themselves 'too mature'? :p

As I noted, there are going to be a lot of kids on your cruise over thanksgiving. Even if the kids aren't allowed to mix, surely there will be all kinds of new friends to have fun with, and the Pearl also has plenty that they can all do together outside of the organized activities. They have bowling, rock climbing, wii, and a waterslide, to name a few.

My daughter, who has cruised NCL since she was 8, will be 12 this year and is looking forward to meeting the other kids on our cruise in December. Every cruise she meets kids that are in her own age group, have similar interests and have fun together. It's a great opportunity to meet new people and learn about different places, and she always comes away sad that she has to say goodbye. Don't assume that just because the odd-aged kids aren't with their travelling companions in the Kids Crew they will be unhappy. Be enthusiastic about the potential for making new friends who share their interests. If YOU go into it saying they'll be unhappy, or that you'll be disappointed that they can't change groups, then that's what they'll expect. Treat it like it will be a 'bonus' for them because they'll have the opportunities to 'get away from the group' while the others are 'stuck together' (without making it sound bad to be together either, of course!). Make it sound like a good thing and they'll believe it - and undoubtedly enjoy it. :)

Last month I went on a ship tour on NCL Jewel and I took a list of questions with me. The top of the list was THIS ONE. So I marched off to the kids club and went off to find out. The kids crew counselors told me that they have a ZERO TOLERANCE for MOVING. :eek::eek::eek:

ZERO! ZIP! NOT A CHANCE!

They said it was a company wide policy for NCL.

Of course you can't lie on the forms. You are talking about travel documents. :eek: They can deny boarding if they don't match. Don't mess with that.

Just warn the kids in advance that they won't be in the same groups. You MIGHT get lucky and get a very understanding counselor -- but the ones I talked to said no way. Its just not done on NCL. And that was the first time I had ever been told by a kids club counselor "no, never" -- usually they tell me "maybe" ;)

• 2 years later...
How about moving down an age group instead of up on NCL? My just turned 13 year old wants to be with his 11 year old brother and i am not thrilled with him hanging out with 17 year olds!

Not on NCL - I bet the parents of a 9 year old don't want a teen in that club.

My daughter, who has cruised NCL since she was 8, will be 12 this year and is looking forward to meeting the other kids on our cruise in December. Every cruise she meets kids that are in her own age group, have similar interests and have fun together. It's a great opportunity to meet new people and learn about different places, and she always comes away sad that she has to say goodbye. Don't assume that just because the odd-aged kids aren't with their travelling companions in the Kids Crew they will be unhappy. Be enthusiastic about the potential for making new friends who share their interests. If YOU go into it saying they'll be unhappy, or that you'll be disappointed that they can't change groups, then that's what they'll expect. Treat it like it will be a 'bonus' for them because they'll have the opportunities to 'get away from the group' while the others are 'stuck together' (without making it sound bad to be together either, of course!). Make it sound like a good thing and they'll believe it - and undoubtedly enjoy it. :)

This is such good advice. I've never cruised on NCL but have used the kid and teen programs for years now on other lines with similar rules and policies. There inevitably comes a time when your kid feels that he or she is on the wrong side of an age divide. (My older DD turned 13 on the day after disembarkation on our 2009 Princess cruise but was not allowed into the teen program.) But stop for a minute and think what would happen if they start making exceptions that let kids "move up" into the next group. Where does it stop? And how does it affect the kids who are in the "right" age group? The average 16 year old in the 13-17 teen program does not want a bunch of 11-12 year olds "moving up" into the program. Canadian Twosome has the right attitude. Pitch it as a good thing, and let your kids enjoy the program the way it's designed. There's plenty of time to do stuff as a family together.

Edited by junglejane

How about moving down an age group instead of up on NCL? My just turned 13 year old wants to be with his 11 year old brother and i am not thrilled with him hanging out with 17 year olds!

Since I wrote the above post in 2010 I have cruised norwegian with my girls two times (Epic and Gem) and I can confirm - there is zero moving.

Your son will be in the teen club. Which actually isn't that bad. We had to do that on RCI last year when my daughter was TWELVE. :eek:

Since I wrote the above post in 2010 I have cruised norwegian with my girls two times (Epic and Gem) and I can confirm - there is zero moving.

Your son will be in the teen club. Which actually isn't that bad. We had to do that on RCI last year when my daughter was TWELVE. :eek:

I really just feel bad for my 11 year old. They are best buds and will be lost without eachother. They are not new to crusing or kids clubs and have never been apart. will me 13 year old have the ability to sign himself out?

I really just feel bad for my 11 year old. They are best buds and will be lost without eachother. They are not new to crusing or kids clubs and have never been apart. will me 13 year old have the ability to sign himself out?

Instead of feeling bad for the 11 year old, feel proud of the 13 year old. He has reached a milestone and deserves to have it recognized. The younger boy's time will come all too soon. I'm not experienced with NCL, but in my experience with other cruise lines, there is no signing in or out with the teen programs. They just come and go.

• 4 months later...

Just checking if anyone has had any luck moving a 2-year-old up to the 3-year-old group during a cruise with the new NCL guidelines that came out in 2012? I know the new rules say it is age as of time of embarkation, and our's turns 3 on day 4 of a 12-night cruise aboard NCL Spirit next month. I have read of flexibility with the older age groups, but haven't seen any passenger feedback on the younger age group. The phone rep yesterday reiterated the same rules I read, just as she said muster drill is 30 minutes prior to sailing (which is not what our same itinerary of passengers found in April - it was 2.5 hours prior to sailing so I know the rep was probably incorrect yesterday) I know folks on CruiseCritic can sometimes see things done different onboard a ship versus what someone on the NCL phone might say such as that muster drill scenario.

Our cruise immediately prior to this is on Disney for 14 nights, and they have an unwritten one-month flexibility where if potty trained they will evaluate a child first and if room allow them into the 3 year old club without parents. Didn't know if NCL is similar or just cut-and-dry with zero flexibility. All of her cruises have been on DCL. Our older child is 6 so no worries there.

Thanks in advance for any experiences :) (And no - I am not taking my child on a cruise to dump her in kids club - so please no flaming. She has already cruised 21 days and spent less than ten hours in kids club total, mainly so we could enjoy specialty dining or spa as a couple...)

Our experience with kids club last summer - there was no moving. Period. My 5 year old was in with 2 and 3 year olds. My 7 year old was in with kids up to 9 or 10. They ended up not going to kids club because they wanted to be together. Next cruise - they are in the same age group.

Yes, it will be disappointing for OP's family that they won't be together. But, look at it this way, isn't there enough 'togetherness' on a family vacation sharing a cabin with your family and no space to yourself? Maybe they will take this in stride - do different activities in their respective age groups, and then have more to talk about when the family is together.

Convince them to at least TRY it out. They might just like it.

Our experience with kids club last summer - there was no moving. Period. My 5 year old was in with 2 and 3 year olds.

Thanks. With the new NCL rules my 2 year old (who turns 3 just 3 days after embarking a 12-night cruise) cannot use the 3+ Kids Club at all, even after she turns 3 (per the rep I spoke with yesterday). It is age as of embarkation. So no more worries of 5 year olds being grouped with 2 year olds since 2 year olds are no longer allowed in the 3+ group, even after their birthday onboard.

• 5 months later...

I realized I never made an update to this.

Our experience on the 12-night NCL Spirit (Barcelona to Venice) this past June:

Yes, they allowed our potty trained 3 year old to move up on her birthday, which was day four of the 12-night cruise. We filled out paperwork on embarkation day, they wrote her birthday across the top and said we could begin bringing her on her birthday.

We were very impressed with the kids club. It was a port intensive cruise so our children only got to play in the evenings or on the two sea days as we took them to all ports (but one - a ship tour in Croatia). Grouping the kids by ages 3-5, 6-9 and 10-12 worked very well and both our 3- and 7- year olds enjoyed it. :)

I realized I never made an update to this.

Our experience on the 12-night NCL Spirit (Barcelona to Venice) this past June:

Yes, they allowed our potty trained 3 year old to move up on her birthday, which was day four of the 12-night cruise. We filled out paperwork on embarkation day, they wrote her birthday across the top and said we could begin bringing her on her birthday.

We were very impressed with the kids club. It was a port intensive cruise so our children only got to play in the evenings or on the two sea days as we took them to all ports (but one - a ship tour in Croatia). Grouping the kids by ages 3-5, 6-9 and 10-12 worked very well and both our 3- and 7- year olds enjoyed it. :)

Thank yo so much for the update!

It seems people often post questions and problems here and we never find out what the resolution was. Most certainly someone else is going to have the same issue, so it's nice to have an answer. After reading, I'm curious what happened with the OP of the thread? Did the 11 kids have a good time?

Well- a follow up from me- since they were not together they both refused the kids clubs:(

They will be a full year older when we cruise next Easter so I am more comfortable letting them have some freedom. Unfortunately the 12 yr. old (now still 11) still will not be able to hang with the teens :(

Well- a follow up from me- since they were not together they both refused the kids clubs:(

They will be a full year older when we cruise next Easter so I am more comfortable letting them have some freedom. Unfortunately the 12 yr. old (now still 11) still will not be able to hang with the teens :(

And that's a bad thing? My 12 1/2 year old will be with her 10 year old brother and sister next week on NCL, and I'm glad she won't be with the teens. On our last cruise, my oldest was 14, and came home from the cruise with her first boyfriend! Well, he didn't come home with us, but she did go visit him once...

And that's a bad thing? My 12 1/2 year old will be with her 10 year old brother and sister next week on NCL, and I'm glad she won't be with the teens...

I couldn't agree more. I was the unfortunate witness to a passenger screaming at the head of the kids club stating he was "ruining their vacation" because their group of children could not be together all the time at the kids club. I spoke to him privately after and he said they do not make exceptions, ever. Groups may be combined due to low numbers, but children are not moved up or down between groups. There is no begging and pleading, it simply will not be done.

Free play is the time for friends and siblings of different ages to interact. We have been on cruises where this is the only time our children wanted to go, and that's ok. It's their cruise too :)

Count me in with the parents who agree with the "no moving" policy. I imagine the policy is because of liability issues, but just think of all the times the staff is told by a parent, "oh, my kid is so mature for his age," and if they had given in, had found out that the parent truly overestimated the kid's emotional age. And as someone who has helped with elementary and middle school kids, I've heard parents who have overstated their kids' behavior or talents.

Just think of the 14-year-old kid who has looked at the description of the teen program (as I have shown my daughter to show her before her sixth cruise when she finally obtained "Remix" status on Princess) to see the activities, etc., and then find that someone's 12-yr-old sibling is being allowed to hang out in the teen center with then. And as some have stated, the teen groups on the ships go up to 17. I certainly wouldn't want my girl, when she was 12, to be hanging around 17-yr-old boys.

Besides, unless your kid goes to school in an one-room schoolhouse with several grades, they are used to being without their older or younger kids at school. You may be surprised to know that they don't necessarily want to hang out with siblings onboard unless they're terribly shy. And it may be a good thing to encourage them to make friends with their own age. They will see their family members for much of the cruise anyway.

Just think of the 14-year-old kid who has looked at the description of the teen program (as I have shown my daughter to show her before her sixth cruise when she finally obtained "Remix" status on Princess) to see the activities' date=' etc., and then find that someone's 12-yr-old sibling is being allowed to hang out in the teen center with then. And as some have stated, the teen groups on the ships go up to 17. I certainly wouldn't want my girl, when she was 12, to be hanging around 17-yr-old boys.[/quote']

My daughter was 12 when we cruised a couple of years ago. She was a bit disappointed that she was at the top of the age group and would be stuck with 9-11 year olds. As it turned out, they split the group into 9-10 and 11-12, and after seeing the teens that her brother (15 at the time) was hanging out with, I think she realized it wouldn't have been appropriate to be with the teens. She found a couple of other 12 year old girls, plus the 10 year old brother of one of the girls, and they hung out together most of the week.

We are hoping to go again this summer, and she will be 15. She's in high school now and hangs out with older kids a lot, so I won't be concerned about her being in the teen club. I'm more concerned about my boys being 18 and 21 on a cruise ship! :eek:

As the mom of a "mature" teen - she would have been mortified to be hanging with 11 year olds ;)

Don't you see? Where does it stop?

My oldest who is a teen has been on over a dozen cruises and put in her time to be able to FINALLY make it into the teen club away from the "little kids" - only to get there and find them because they came with their siblings?

Yeah, wouldn't work.

Teens stay with teens.

Preteens have their OWN room - 10-12's

Everyone is happy.

If other kids want to go out of the club and hang with siblings - fine. But my kid wants to run from hers.

The won't let you change the groups - not going to happen.

But that isn't a bad thing either - a lot of the anxiety before getting on the ship surround issues like this and preconceived notions of what to expect. Reality will likely be quite different and your children will hopefully enjoy their time at the kids camp - regardless of what group they are in - as well as the rest of the time on the ship.

We had a niece that was 2 years younger and we had this exact same issue before we went about her not being in the group with her sister and my daughter (older), but she ended up LOVING her group and it wasn't an issue at all. Good luck!

NOTHING destroys a teen club faster or more completely than allowing a "little kid" to move up.

It sounds odd to us grown-ups but it is a really big thing to the kids. DD had just turned 12YO on one of our cruises a few years back -- she was 12YO but still in sixth grade (most of the other 12YO were in 7th). While the kids were all really nice, she said that she wasn't telling anyone that she was in 6th grade because one of the boys had introduced himself as a 6th grader and some of the other kids had given him a hard time about it. So she just introduced herself as 12YO.

The following year on an X cruise, the conselors allowed two "very mature" 11YOs (whose parents were superhigh status cruisers in a pair of very expensive suites) "age up" into the teen club -- as a result the two "very mature" 11YO had the teen club all to themselves as the 12-14YOs avoided it like a plague :).

While some kids will think of themselves as "too sophisticated" for their age groups or families or groups who think that it is vital that their kids stay together, the cruise lines are concerned with the good of the many. So even when it inconveniences one family or group, the affect that little kids in big kid's groups; or big kids in little kid's groups have on the group dynamics makes it understandable that lines are a bit leery about allowing deviations.

Edited by Onessa

We're cruising over Thanksgiving on the Pearl. This will be our son's second cruise. Last year we cruised on the Spirit when he was 7. He absolutely LOVED the kids club! This year he will be 8 when we sail and will turn 9 while on the cruise. Does anyone know what the actual age breakdown is? I think I would like for him to stay in the same group for the entire cruise. Looking very forward to some fun in the sun!:D