Galveston Dining Suggestions

Saw this top 10 restaurants list in Galveston in the Houston Press:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2010/06/top_10_restaurants_in_galvesto.php

Note that this isn't from a critic or a survey, it's just the opinion of the blogger and there's other suggestions in the comments.

So, those who have been down on the island, what's in your top 10 places to eat? Those who haven't been to Galveston yet will want to know where to go and where to avoid.

My contribution: I'm not a fan of anything Landry's related. I find them to be overpriced and mediocre, with the exception of Pesce in Houston. So I'm not sure about Fish Tales on the Houston Press list. I avoid Rainforest Cafe because it's a) Landry's and b) a "concept" where the decor was developed before the food. I'm a real fan of Gaido's. The more casual Casey's Seafood House (it shares the kitchen with Gaido's but is a coffee shop where flip-flops are acceptable) isn't bad, but the menu is mostly fried fish and the atmosphere is lacking. I know there are people here who love The Spot, but it looks more like a place to get drunk than anything else so I've skipped it. Rudy & Paco on the Strand is a great Latin American restaurant (think South America, not Mexico).

Where do you like to eat on the island?

I live in Galveston, and like you, try to stay away from Landry's establishments. And I couldn't agree with you more about The Spot. Here's my top 10 list, not necessarily in this order, but kinda :):

1. Mostquito Cafe (a must for any trip to Galveston)

2. Luigi's Italian

3. Olympia Grill (greek)

4. Benno's Cajun Seafood (warning: service and food have been lacking the last few times I've gone).

5. Pho 20 (zero ambience, but the food's excellent)

6. Lunchbox Cafe (for cold lunchy stuff only)

7. Shrimp n Stuff

8. Apache (tex-mex, with some real mexican)

9. Skyy Bar (sushi)

10. Queen's or Leon's bbq (both have their pros and cons, so they tie)

11. Bonus for good measure: Murphy's pub for the island's best pizza

Bon apetit!

Note that this isn't from a critic or a survey, it's just the opinion of the blogger and there's other suggestions in the comments.

So, those who have been down on the island, what's in your top 10 places to eat? Those who haven't been to Galveston yet will want to know where to go and where to avoid.

My contribution: I'm not a fan of anything Landry's related. I find them to be overpriced and mediocre, with the exception of Pesce in Houston. So I'm not sure about Fish Tales on the Houston Press list. I avoid Rainforest Cafe because it's a) Landry's and b) a "concept" where the decor was developed before the food. I'm a real fan of Gaido's. The more casual Casey's Seafood House (it shares the kitchen with Gaido's but is a coffee shop where flip-flops are acceptable) isn't bad, but the menu is mostly fried fish and the atmosphere is lacking. I know there are people here who love The Spot, but it looks more like a place to get drunk than anything else so I've skipped it. Rudy & Paco on the Strand is a great Latin American restaurant (think South America, not Mexico).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of food do you like!

The manager of the Pelican Club at Gaido's confirms that all three venues (Gaido's, Casey's and Pelican Club) each have their own kitchen.

The Spot is good and has great appetizers. However, we avoid it on weekends due to the crowds.

Pho 18 is really good, no ambience, but very fresh - owners buys fresh vegetables every morning in Houston at farmers market. On 5th or 6th St just down from Walgreen's on Seawall Blvd.

Eat Cetera also has good sandwiches.

The manager of the Pelican Club at Gaido's confirms that all three venues (Gaido's, Casey's and Pelican Club) each have their own kitchen.

The Spot is good and has great appetizers. However, we avoid it on weekends due to the crowds.

Pho 18 is really good, no ambience, but very fresh - owners buys fresh vegetables every morning in Houston at farmers market. On 5th or 6th St just down from Walgreen's on Seawall Blvd.

Eat Cetera also has good sandwiches.

Your'e right about the kitchens at the above mentioned places (I think we've had this conversation before on another thread on here...LOL!).

The Spot is good and I haven't seen anything but families eating there...but I also didn't go into the bar area. But, if you're in Galveston for seafood I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Gaido's owned restaurants. The Rainforest Cafe is a fun place to take your kids as it's really entertaining for the kids...the food, well, it was OK. I have even had some pretty good food at Landry's. Olympia Grill is good too! Lots of places to choose from in the area!

I live in Galveston, and like you, try to stay away from Landry's establishments. And I couldn't agree with you more about The Spot. Here's my top 10 list, not necessarily in this order, but kinda :):

1. Mostquito Cafe (a must for any trip to Galveston)

2. Luigi's Italian

3. Olympia Grill (greek)

4. Benno's Cajun Seafood (warning: service and food have been lacking the last few times I've gone).

5. Pho 20 (zero ambience, but the food's excellent)

6. Lunchbox Cafe (for cold lunchy stuff only)

7. Shrimp n Stuff

8. Apache (tex-mex, with some real mexican)

9. Skyy Bar (sushi)

10. Queen's or Leon's bbq (both have their pros and cons, so they tie)

11. Bonus for good measure: Murphy's pub for the island's best pizza

Bon apetit!

Incidently there are two Olympia Grill's (greek)

One on Seawall (original)

One on Port at Harbor House Hotel

with wonderful views of port

and can watch the ships and cruise ships go and come

Incidently there are two Olympia Grill's (greek)

One on Seawall (original)

One on Port at Harbor House Hotel

with wonderful views of port

and can watch the ships and cruise ships go and come

Although the view is great at the Pier location, I still prefer the food and service at the Seawall location. Maybe I went on an off day, but the Pier restaurant had worse service although the food was more expensive. You really can't beat the view though. You'll even see dolphins from time to time.

Gaido's has always been a Galveston classic. The Spot is good, but loud and busy--not relaxing IMHO. Go for drinks, skip the food.

I'll bite the bourgeois bullet and say that I've had some good meals at Landry's in Galveston--it was the service that we found lacking. If you're looking for a yummy dessert, the bananas foster-burrito-looking-thingy [it's a technical term] was to die for. I'd go in just for that! :D

Another Gaido's lover. Go HUNGRY and be prepared to wait on a pre cruise Friday or Saturday.

Gotta defend The Spot. Now it probably is wild time in the summer but whenever we have cruised out of Galveston - usually in March or November - we have found The Spot to be a great choice for a laid back place and a tasty burger. The restaurant is on the other side from the bar and we too have always seen tons of families there.

Fish Tales? Uh no - I even think the shrimp was frozen. :( Not an option.

Gaido's is amazing! Best shrimp bisque ever and the pecan pie- heaven! If you want to avoid a wait, they do take reservations.

We like Willie G's alot. It is Landry's owned but upscale ($) but very good. We also like Fisherman's Wharf( another Landry's place). Shrimp Kisses and a view of the Elyssa is a favorite! Plus they both do call ahead seating to avoid a long wait.

Hi John,

I have to agree with you on The Spot. It's not fine dining but if you have a group and meeting for lunch, you can't find a better place. I like Gaidos and Caseys. We have eaten at both and enjoy them. I'm sailing with a group next year on the Voyager and plan on hitting some of the places on the list and some of our favorite.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
No pay!

Public pier!

Free parking if you use one of three Restaurants

Even sit if you like,

and have favorite beverage on deck at Olympia Grill(best view),

Fishermans Wharf or Willie G's.

Also You can park free on east side of Olympia.

I have a question (or two).

We are not going on a cruise out of Galveston for over a year yet. However, we are taking a long weekend at Moody Gardens/Schlitterbahn this summer. Someone on the Carnival roll call suggested taking the kids to wave to a ship leaving. Since my DDs nor I have ever seen a cruise ship in person, I loved that idea.

Reading through this thread - it sounds like there are places to watch where we could have lunch as well. Of the ones listed here - I have eaten at Fisherman's Wharf & Willie G's - but a very long time ago. However, I remember liking them.

Does one of them offer a better view of the cruise ship? Or is it better to see the cruise ship from another spot and then head to lunch/dinner?

I would appreciate any advice someone familiar with Galveston can offer.

Thanks!

Well, it looks like my post was moved. I posted on the thread entitled "All Things Galveston".

I was really looking for suggestions on where a good place to watch a ship leave in Glaveston would be. I saw a post mentioning restaurants that were nearby (the one I quoted above) so was inquiring if one of those was a good option over just standing somewhere.

So while I can understand being moved to a dining suggestion thread - my real desire/question was location to watch the ships. The dining part was optional.

Yes, her post did mention places to eat. I apologize for not being more familiar with Galveston or cruising. My intentions was simply to find out if it was better to find a place to eat - or find the pier. I had done searches here - and in the end hoped someone more familiar with both would not mind sharing their knowledge.

Sadly, I can't delete my post.

Yes, her post did mention places to eat. I apologize for not being more familiar with Galveston or cruising. My intentions was simply to find out if it was better to find a place to eat - or find the pier. I had done searches here - and in the end hoped someone more familiar with both would not mind sharing their knowledge.

Sadly, I can't delete my post.

==============================================

Olympia Grill (greek) on the deck in my opinion is best place

to watch ships. Others are Willie G's and Fishermans Wharf .....with only views from berth for a short time and you can not watch it all the way out of harbor.

Olympia Grill allows you to watch the ship from berth all the way out the channel,

There is also pier in front of Willie G and Olympia Grill to just watch the ships.

There is a new mexican with a third floor and outside deck facing harbor, where fudruckers used to be.

And there is bar on top of Tremont Hotel where the view should be great also.

I wasn't offended my post was moved. I couldn't find it at first, but I wasn't offended.

A meal w/a view would be nice - but ultimately we just wanted our DDs to see a cruise ship in person. Get an idea of the size, etc. So as the response I got basically said I quoted exactly the information I needed as to where to eat, it wasn't really what I was looking for. I saw it as my fault for not being more clear and apologized - but I could not remove my badly worded post.

We have never been on a cruise - my DDs and I have never even seen a cruise ship. Someone suggested since we were going to be in Galveston anyways it would be a fun side trip. But it's hard to look at a map and get an idea of where to go to see the ship.

I wasn't offended my post was moved. I couldn't find it at first, but I wasn't offended.

A meal w/a view would be nice - but ultimately we just wanted our DDs to see a cruise ship in person. Get an idea of the size, etc. So as the response I got basically said I quoted exactly the information I needed as to where to eat, it wasn't really what I was looking for. I saw it as my fault for not being more clear and apologized - but I could not remove my badly worded post.

We have never been on a cruise - my DDs and I have never even seen a cruise ship. Someone suggested since we were going to be in Galveston anyways it would be a fun side trip. But it's hard to look at a map and get an idea of where to go to see the ship.

====================================================

We live in Galveston.

Continue to ask questions and we (galveston cruise and ssb)

may be able to help.

If you're just looking for a great view to watch the ship sail away, park downtown somewhere around 21st street and near harborside drive. Downtown is very easy to find--there are signs on all major routes into the city. Then, walk across harborside drive to all the Pier 21 restaurants everyone's talking about. You can walk all the way back to the water, and there are places just to stand or walk around back there. The ship will be right there. Plus, you can see the Elissa up close too, which is beautiful.

My husband and I have watched the Ecstasy sail away on a couple of occasions from there, and it's wonderful. You're close enough to wave to people on board. You can even hear the cruise director's voice over the PA system! Makes you want to book a cruise right away. The Ecstasy typically sails away between 4pm and 5pm on alternating Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The Conquest sails every Sunday at about the same time.

Once you've watched the ship sail away, walk by the water in the same direction the ship is sailing and you'll come to a pier where all the shrimp boats are docked. You can walk along that pier and get a great up close view of brown pelicans, white pelicans, cormorants (sp?) and other birds. There are some rocks there that they come to and preen, eat, and just rest. They're really beautiful to watch up close.

So sorry this turned into a book, but I just wanted to let you know not to be intimidated by getting around Galveston. It's really easily laid out, and there are signs everywhere for tourists and cruise ship pax, so you can find anything you're looking for. And it really is great to watch the ships go by through the channel.

Yes watching the ships will make you want to sail away.

Try living in Galveston and hearing the stacks blow

as they are coming and going.

A tease every time.

We try to watch every chance we get.

You can even drive east on Seawall to end and watch the ship reach

the ship channel and sail out to sea from the jetties.

Archived