Stateroom swapping and some other ?'s

Razor_Poke

I seem to find many differing answers about this so hopefully someone with firsthand experience can help me out.

We're cruising on Carnival Triumph in July. My wife, daughter (11), son (22) and me. We booked 2 inside rooms but the TA forced us to reserve as Dad / Son and Mom / Daughter. He told us to just move around when we get on board and to not draw a lot of attention to it.

My concern is that 3 of us will have to have the incorrect key, which will mean a lot more coordinating than I care to do. My wife doesn't need a male's S&S card and my 11 year old certainly doesn't need to carry around an adult's card.

I've seen comments that the pursar desk will fix this for us once on board, but why would they help someone knowingly break their own rules.

Anybody have experience with this?

Welcome to CC,

You understand that issue with booking a room to two minors? Unless you have adjoining rooms I suspect most hotels wouldn't permit minors alone either. That being said once you get on the ship who knows what the they will allow. I am in a similar situation 3 kids, 3 adults in three double rooms all right next or across the hallway. We fully expect to be doing some swapping. If it means I have to use my daughters so be it. Just make sure to allowing charging or restrict them as appropriate, must think out of the box a bit ;)

I seem to find many differing answers about this so hopefully someone with firsthand experience can help me out.

We're cruising on Carnival Triumph in July. My wife, daughter (11), son (22) and me. We booked 2 inside rooms but the TA forced us to reserve as Dad / Son and Mom / Daughter. He told us to just move around when we get on board and to not draw a lot of attention to it.

My concern is that 3 of us will have to have the incorrect key, which will mean a lot more coordinating than I care to do. My wife doesn't need a male's S&S card and my 11 year old certainly doesn't need to carry around an adult's card.

I've seen comments that the pursar desk will fix this for us once on board, but why would they help someone knowingly break their own rules.

This really isn't an issue. And you don't have to sneak around. Just check in as you are booked (the check in occurs as you're getting on the ship). Once on board, head to the purser's desk, tell them which people need which keys, and it'll happen within a few minutes. Not a big deal.

I'd find a new TA. They should have booked you like you wanted. Carnival will book minors in a cabin together as long as they are across the hall or next to the adult's cabin. Plus, in your case, your son is not a minor. It doesn't make sense.

It shouldn't be any problem to switch once you are on board, but you could get your TA to call Carnival and fix his mistake.

As for Carnival breaking their own rules, that's just part of the package. Regardless, you will all have a great cruise.

I'd find a new TA. They should have booked you like you wanted. Carnival will book minors in a cabin together as long as they are across the hall or next to the adult's cabin. Plus, in your case, your son is not a minor. It doesn't make sense.

It shouldn't be any problem to switch once you are on board, but you could get your TA to call Carnival and fix his mistake.

As for Carnival breaking their own rules, that's just part of the package. Regardless, you will all have a great cruise.

I do believe you have to be 25 to book a cabin on Carnival.

It doesn't matter if he is a minor or not he's under 25.

Another FYI be sure once you get the room keys switched to get a "blank" copy of your children's room key. That way you have access at all times to their room. When we went on a family cruise with Princess Mom and Dad wanted us all to have access to their balcony. They had "blank" cards made that allowed us access to the room but nothing else.

I do believe you have to be 25 to book a cabin on Carnival.

It doesn't matter if he is a minor or not he's under 25.

Another FYI be sure once you get the room keys switched to get a "blank" copy of your children's room key. That way you have access at all times to their room. When we went on a family cruise with Princess Mom and Dad wanted us all to have access to their balcony. They had "blank" cards made that allowed us access to the room but nothing else.

You're right about the 25 year old age limit to book a cabin, however, the rules are different if you're traveling with mom and dad. I have booked my minors in a room next door or across the hall with no problem three times. Carnival told me that as long as they were close to our cabin that they were allowed to be booked in their own cabin. Just another example of how Carnival can be inconsistent. I still love cruising Carnival though.

We're close but not quite across from or beside each other. I have no reason whatsoever to worry about either of them I just am trying to pre-empt any hassles.

Sounds like if we, the parents, ask for extra room keys we can make this work. Seems like a reasonable request for a parent to have keys to any rooms occupied by his / her kids.

I have done this twice on Carnival and was very open about it, so don't worry about. You are not breaking any rules. The rule applies to registering, not sleeping. Your TA has set you up exactly like I would have done. However, I would not tell you not to draw attention to yourself. I would tell you to go to the purser and get the correct cards for the correct people. Then I would tell you to make sure the cabin steward/stewardess knows what you have done.

I wouldn't put a notice in the local newspaper, but we are not going to see you featured on America's most wanted because of this.

We're close but not quite across from or beside each other. I have no reason whatsoever to worry about either of them I just am trying to pre-empt any hassles.

Sounds like if we, the parents, ask for extra room keys we can make this work. Seems like a reasonable request for a parent to have keys to any rooms occupied by his / her kids.

Again, this is an ordinary common request, you don't have to be sneaky or circumspect about it. Just register as your travel agent got you set up, then go to the purser's desk and ask for keys for your kids room..and they'll be issued within a few minutes of your request. Then you can all go about having a good and safe time on your cruise.

Archived