Sun- Eastern Carribean

sammy112

My husband & I are sailing on the Sun in Oct 25th to the Eastern Carribean.This is our first NCL Cruise. Any info about the ship or the ports of call would be very useful to us.

Also another question: How do you get your past cruises to appear on your page?:confused:

My husband & I are sailing on the Sun in Oct 25th to the Eastern Carribean.This is our first NCL Cruise. Any info about the ship or the ports of call would be very useful to us.

Also another question: How do you get your past cruises to appear on your page?:confused:

Are you talking about 2011 or about this year? The reason I'm asking is because the Eastern Caribbean departure date this year is 10/23, not 10/25 and by October of 2011 the Sun will probably have had a drydock.

If you go to the Roll Call page there is a Roll Call for the 10/23 cruise and you can get some discussion there.

I was on NCL's Sun a few years ago for an 18 day Panama Canal cruise and really enjoyed the ship. It is one of the line's smaller older ships.

It won't be getting its scheduled September drydock since a northern Europe cruise was scheduled instead during those dates (I'll be on it :)).

So you can expect some wear and tear cosmetically but it'll be fine mechancially.

There's a lengthy description of the ship at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review_page2.cfm?ShipID=177

You can read member reviews of recent cruises on the Sun at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=177

Do you mean a listing for all the cruises you have taken? Or the countdown clocks that say "Sailed"??

For a listing you need to click on the "User CP" under the Cruise Critic heading logo and then it will take you to your profile page. Scroll down the left side and click on "Edit Signature-no advertising allowed" and then your signature box will appear with all HTML code in the box. Just go to the end of the code and type the size of the font you want to use and the color. Then type each cruise and anything else you want to add and hit "Save Signature - No advertising allowed". If you know HTML code you shouldn't have any problem.

GOOD LUCK!! :)

I was on the Sun in September 2009 to Alaska. We had a great cruise, but we didn't care for the ship. We didn't mind the fact that it was smaller, but it felt very dated and there was quite a bit of wear and tear. I would sail her again after an extensive drydock, though. Some of the public rooms are very dark and dreary. The atrium is lovely and has a lot of great places to sit back and people watch. We enjoyed the food at the sports bar. And we preferred the more intimate pool area to NCL's bigger ships. Le Bistro is lovely for dinner, but tricky to find. The Sun does boast one of NCL's finest observation lounges, which is quiet and doesn't get much traffic.

I think you'll enjoy the Eastern Caribbean. If you haven't been, there are some beautiful areas that are idyllic Caribbean spots. Do some research before you go and find the less touristy areas of St. Thomas and St. Maarten. They are lovely islands.

Michael

You said 10/25, your other said 10/23. I hope you don't miss the ship. I don't think you even mentioned what ship.

Dear NMLady (and her Joe),

You mentioned something that I had read before -- namely, that the Sun had been scheduled for drydocking in 2010, but that it had been delayed until sometime in 2011. Based on a large number of bad reviews, I want to be aboard the Sun, but only after its refurbishment. The problem is this: If you go to http://www.ncl.com and review all the 2011 Sun cruises, there is NO BREAK AT ALL. There is no gap for a drydocking. Is there any way for you to confirm what you said about the ship being overhauled before October, 2011? Thanks, in advance.

Hi sammy112,

I assume you meant Oct. 23rd 2010, since you came to the roll call once. Since that roll call was originally created for a 14 day cruise that was cancelled, we started a new roll call thread for our Oct 23, 2010 - 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the NCL Sun. Please join us on the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24673427#post24673427

One of our members, Cindi, has cruised before on the sun and may be able to give you some informaton. I've also tried to gather as much info as I can on the Sun, so maybe we can exchange information.

Dear NMLady (and her Joe),

You mentioned something that I had read before -- namely, that the Sun had been scheduled for drydocking in 2010, but that it had been delayed until sometime in 2011. Based on a large number of bad reviews, I want to be aboard the Sun, but only after its refurbishment. The problem is this: If you go to www.ncl.com and review all the 2011 Sun cruises, there is NO BREAK AT ALL. There is no gap for a drydocking. Is there any way for you to confirm what you said about the ship being overhauled before October, 2011? Thanks, in advance.

Even though there is no break at all in cruises, NCL can always cancel a cruise in order to schedule a drydock. Since not even NCL reps can tell you when the drydock is scheduled, there is no way I can confirm that it will be drydocked by October 2011. I only know there was a rumour that it would be drydocked in April 2011, but that's just a rumour.

If you read all the recent reviews in the link from my other thread, you will see that there are more positive reviews than negatives. And the negatives are mostly on service which is not going to be cured by a drydock. I will be spending 33 days on the Sun this next September/October and I expect to have a fantastic cruise. Personally I think that a lot is based on a positive attitude.

Even though there is no break at all in cruises, NCL can always cancel a cruise in order to schedule a drydock. Since not even NCL reps can tell you when the drydock is scheduled, there is no way I can confirm that it will be drydocked by October 2011. I only know there was a rumour that it would be drydocked in April 2011, but that's just a rumour.

If you read all the recent reviews in the link from my other thread, you will see that there are more positive reviews than negatives. And the negatives are mostly on service which is not going to be cured by a drydock. I will be spending 33 days on the Sun this next September/October and I expect to have a fantastic cruise. Personally I think that a lot is based on a positive attitude.

I'm booked for Oct 2010. I agree with the positive attitude theory. I know someone who finished a 14 day cruise a week or 2 ago. She said the crew was very friendly, food was good, service was fine. Like everyone has been saying, she shows a little wear and tear. That won't bother me.

Will you still be on the Sun for the week of Oct 23rd? I know there are several people going earlier, but will still be on during this week. I know I need at least 25 people for a meet n greet. Could that include people who got on a week or so before if they want to attend ours?

Will you still be on the Sun for the week of Oct 23rd? I know there are several people going earlier, but will still be on during this week. I know I need at least 25 people for a meet n greet. Could that include people who got on a week or so before if they want to attend ours?

I don't see why it couldn't include those who are already on board. However, you can still have a m&g even if you don't have the minimum, just make it a private affair without setting a location set by NCL. You can all agree to meet at one of the lesser bar areas and give out a time. That way you won't have to worry that crew members showed up but your roll call didn't or that refreshments were kindly served and there weren't enough people there to enjoy them.

I hope you have a great time! I'll be getting of the Sun on Oct. 14th.

You mentioned something that I had read before -- namely, that the Sun had been scheduled for drydocking in 2010, but that it had been delayed until sometime in 2011. Based on a large number of bad reviews, I want to be aboard the Sun, but only after its refurbishment. The problem is this: If you go to www.ncl.com and review all the 2011 Sun cruises, there is NO BREAK AT ALL. There is no gap for a drydocking. Is there any way for you to confirm what you said about the ship being overhauled before October, 2011? Thanks, in advance.

I was on the Sun in March and I thought the ship was wonderful - clean and well-maintained. I can't speak for anyone else but I got great service from everyone - my cabin stewards, the servers in the MDR, at the front desk. The decor isn't as flashy as some of the newer ships in the NCL fleet but I personally appreciated the understated elegance. The ship was sparkling clean and well-maintained. On a couple of sea days, I noticed crew members replacing worn carpet in high-traffic areas, so I know that the maintenance is on-going.

I am hard-pressed to come up with a reason for the negativity in some of the earlier reviews on the Sun. I thought it was a great ship and I had a great time.

Thanks, "polyseraph." The word is now out today that there will be a three-week drydock (January 8 to 29). She will come out of it even better than you found her.

I just came here to tell you that drydock has now been officially scheduled for those January dates (although the website hasn't yet been updated), so I'm glad to see you already know. Now you can book your cruise.

I'm booked for Oct 2010. I agree with the positive attitude theory. I know someone who finished a 14 day cruise a week or 2 ago. She said the crew was very friendly, food was good, service was fine. Like everyone has been saying, she shows a little wear and tear. That won't bother me.

I get off the ship on Oct 23 after 33 days aboard her. I didn't know that NCL had a required number in order to have a Meet 'n Greet. Where did you read/hear that??

I get off the ship on Oct 23 after 33 days aboard her. I didn't know that NCL had a required number in order to have a Meet 'n Greet. Where did you read/hear that??

NMLady I think that is the number required for NCL to put out refreshements and have some crew attend. I think I read that off another thread somewhere a while ago.

NMLady I think that is the number required for NCL to put out refreshements and have some crew attend. I think I read that off another thread somewhere a while ago.

This is also my understanding and I also saw it in another thread on cc.

Archived