Eagle Creek

runner5

In another post someone mentioned going to Eagle Creek on the drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Where is Eagle Creek? I can't find it in any of my books.

Although there is an Eagle Creek in Alaska, you may mean Eagle River which is a community about 15 miles north of Anchorage.

Thank you! I did find it on the maps now. Does anyone know that area is so unique that it is worth stopping. Don't get me wrong, there is so much to do and see in Alaska, but given time constraints, just wondering why someone noted it as a must see. Thanks for the info again!

Most of the posts I’ve seen don’t mention Eagle River as a tourist hot spot other then stopping at the Fred Meyer to pick up supplies on the way north to Denali. One of the areas near Eagle River that rarely gets mentioned is the Eagle River Nature Center. http://www.ernc.org/ They have some nice hiking trails. There is a staffed interpretive center. Not sure the staff has reached the level of being considered naturalists but they have a wealth of info on the area. There have been a few bear sightings in the area recently and one was killed last week.

Just north of Eagle River in Eklutna are the Spirit Houses that are worth a stop. Eklutna Lake and Thunderbird Falls are nearby as well for viewing and hiking.

A friend has a cabin up that way but I don't know much about the area. I spent a night near there in Trapper Creek and it's a bit remote but on the road system. Here's a website that has a narrative of the drive in with mile marks. If you're renting a car it most likely will not be allowed on this road, at least past the paved section.

http://www.alaskafreegold.com/home43

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I have several books and seached the net and this is by far the best info on this place. Petersville only caught my attention because of another poster here on CC. Thank you for the information!

Archived