So who has had a disaster experience while on a cruise?

I am a survivor of the 9/11 attack on the WTC. I was 52 floors up in Tower 2. Made it out with a 1/2 hour to spare before the building came down. 298 of my colleagues never made it out.

Carol

WOW Carol, you must feel so blessed to have made it out in time. I will never forget watching those towers fall. I was in Spanish class, junior year of high school. The teacher let us cancel class and every eye was glued to the television. I could not believe what I was seeing and several of my friends and I were praying that people could get out.

That was the title of an Article, probably not tooo well written, I submitted to them just for fun to post on there web site as I thought it was positive. Anyway on a TA on the Navigator after leaving Bermuda, the ship stopped for a while, and then went on. After we arrived in Lisbon, and we did our shore stuff, at 5 PM the boat just goes out into the harbor and anchors, to make it short, the Portuguese Port authority or Government had seized the ship, I guess claiming it had was unsafe to cruise on. Any way the front left stabilizer would not retract, they worked on it for, I forget maybe two days, had people from every where looking at it. Here we were in Lisbon, could not go ashore for some reason and had to listen to the awful Caribbean island music for toooo long LOL. Any on the following day what ever it was, we headed our the river, we though we were making a run for it LOL, but we went down stream, and headed inland and anchored a large boat or two, came out and a crew of people actually cut the stabilizer off the ship. Anyway we headed on towards Barcelona and missed all the other ports. RC gave much shipboard credit etc and other things but many people were very upset because it ruined there vacation, but stuff happens no matter what, and RC did try in what I think a good way to make it up to the people. We were ok, and used the TA mainly just to travel across, we like TA's and then we had a week in Barcelona.

I am a survivor of the 9/11 attack on the WTC. I was 52 floors up in Tower 2. Made it out with a 1/2 hour to spare before the building came down. 298 of my colleagues never made it out.

Carol

My family and the world is so sorry you had to experience that situation. Condolences for your friends as well.

Tim

I consider this a disaster:

One week before our cruise to Mex Riviera, I had my teeth cleaned. I have a crown in front tooth (lost tooth in the 80's riding bike in empty pool). I felt that it was loose, so I told the dentist. He said no, its ok. I said again, it feels loose, he said no, it's cemented.

One week later, I was snorkeling somewhere in the middle of P.V... I come up from the water and my friend says, dude, what happened to your tooth? I said, wuff toof? Oh no, it was GONE!!!!!!!!! I dove down and could not find it! I went into panic mode, wondering how I would survive a week on a ship with no toof! I got out and searched for a dentist, but it was siesta time, so everyone was closed! I panicked even more, knowing that I would be auditioning for the talent show, as Elvis, with jumpsuit and all, but with no TOOF! I started knocking on dentist office doors, finally someone answered. I explained to them the situation... and they fixed it! But, the dammnn tooth was the size of a CHIKLET! I guess that was better than no tooth!

That was hilarious!

There was one New Year's cruise where a tsunami hit the ship, flipped it upside down, and a rag-tag group of us had to make our way "up" to the hull of the ship to escape.

But other than that, no disasters.

Preacher! You took away from me the only thing I ever loved, my Linda!!

There was one New Year's cruise where a tsunami hit the ship, flipped it upside down, and a rag-tag group of us had to make our way "up" to the hull of the ship to escape.

But other than that, no disasters.

Don't worry, there's got to be a morning after.

I was on with my entire family (all adults) when we hit a reef in St Maarten, had to abandon ship around 11 PM all 3000 passengers waited on the pier all night finally around 7AM we were put on a bus and taken to a resort; A NUDEST RESORT. RCI was great under the circumstances and we re-took the same cruise the next year.

I guess that's one way to ensure that the guests have a place to sleep and if these boards have taught us anything they also ensured that everyone still got there daily show, lol.

Carol

I am so sorry that you had to experience that Carol. I am glad you made it out and am so sorry about your colleagues and friends. I really don't even know what to say.

I stepped out of the shower early one morning and grabbed what I thought were my eyedrops and put nail glue in my eye.....!!! We were less than a half hour from Halifax and the doctor on the ship had a taxi waiting for me outside to take me to the hospital.( He wasn't prepared to handle the situation) ..My husband and I spent the entire day in 2 different hospitals and all I kept saying was that we had to get back to the ship by 5 !! We left my 17 year old son on the ship alone...

Now THAT was a nightmare!!

PS.. I have never used nail glue since...

I stepped out of the shower early one morning and grabbed what I thought were my eyedrops and put nail glue in my eye.....!!! We were less than a half hour from Halifax and the doctor on the ship had a taxi waiting for me outside to take me to the hospital.( He wasn't prepared to handle the situation) ..My husband and I spent the entire day in 2 different hospitals and all I kept saying was that we had to get back to the ship by 5 !! We left my 17 year old son on the ship alone...

Now THAT was a nightmare!!

PS.. I have never used nail glue since...

wow! so susan, was your eye ok?? what did the doctors have to do to "unglue" your eye? did you make it back to the ship by 5??

Oh my gosh. I can't even imagine. What port were you in that day? I was at sea when we "declared war" on Iraq, but that's obviously totally different. Wow.

We were pulling into Cozumel. My husband had just recently gotten out of the Army and still had the haircut so someone in the Windjammer asked him if he knew what had happened. Long story short, we gulped down our breakfast and went back to the stateroom just in time to turn on CNN (the only station Enchantment got) just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. We thought we were seeing an instant replay of the 1st plane and couldn't wrap our brain around it. The ship was very somber and RCI let people use the internet for free and make ship to shore phone calls for people that had relatives in the affected areas. Chapel services were conducted all day. We had an excursion on that day to Tulum and since it was before digital, my camera date-stamped all the pictures I took. Looking through the photo album it is very weird to see 9/11/01 on the bottom of those photographs. When we got back from our excursion they had metal detectors set up to come on and off the ship and IDs were checked regularly. We heard some 'people of interest' were pulled off a cruise ship that was behind us. We tried to have as much of a good time as we could on our honeymoon, but truthfully there was a lot of time just spent in our room watching CNN and being sad and feeling guilty when we did find something that made us laugh. Since air traffic had been stalled, we had to rent a car in FL and drive back to Maine after we left the ship. We had to pass by NYC on our way home and the whole sky was a strange smoky brownish color and the skyline without the WTCs was just so strange to see and it put all the stuff we had been watching on CNN right in front of our eyes. Images I will never forget.

We were pulling into Cozumel. My husband had just recently gotten out of the Army and still had the haircut so someone in the Windjammer asked him if he knew what had happened. Long story short, we gulped down our breakfast and went back to the stateroom just in time to turn on CNN (the only station Enchantment got) just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. We thought we were seeing an instant replay of the 1st plane and couldn't wrap our brain around it. The ship was very somber and RCI let people use the internet for free and make ship to shore phone calls for people that had relatives in the affected areas. Chapel services were conducted all day. We had an excursion on that day to Tulum and since it was before digital, my camera date-stamped all the pictures I took. Looking through the photo album it is very weird to see 9/11/01 on the bottom of those photographs. When we got back from our excursion they had metal detectors set up to come on and off the ship and IDs were checked regularly. We heard some 'people of interest' were pulled off a cruise ship that was behind us. We tried to have as much of a good time as we could on our honeymoon, but truthfully there was a lot of time just spent in our room watching CNN and being sad and feeling guilty when we did find something that made us laugh. Since air traffic had been stalled, we had to rent a car in FL and drive back to Maine after we left the ship. We had to pass by NYC on our way home and the whole sky was a strange smoky brownish color and the skyline without the WTCs was just so strange to see and it put all the stuff we had been watching on CNN right in front of our eyes. Images I will never forget.

Wow.

This was so nice considering the only thing I asked for was to move our reservations up an hour. I love RCCL!!! They really do go above and beyond.

Great story! I am glad you had a happy ending. I wish that would happen here when we have a hurricane! I live in Houston!

In April, 2005 we were on the Grandeur out of New Orleans. Our last stop was Costa Maya, and on while docking the currents and wind caught the ship and drove it into the dock, tearing a 25 foot hole in the side of the boat, nearly 5 feet wide at it's widest. You could literally see into rooms on that deck (crew quarters I believe). Fortunately it was above the water line.

IMG_0932-1.JPG

Instead of an 8 hour stop, we ended up being there for 4 days. Unfortunately, not being a working port they had to fly/truck in all of the equipment and materials. All in all, I think RCL did what they could to help everyone out. They arranged buses for people who absolutely had to get back, and then chartered a flight (though we heard it was a 3+ hour bus ride). They allowed free phone calls at Guest Relations and the internet cafe was also free. They gave everyone (I think) a $100 OBC per cabin, flew in an additional entertainer - and added a cocktail party with the Captain.

I know it sounds like paradise, but it had it's downsides too. Our cabin was immediately above the work area and unfortunately the banging was round-the-clock to get us out of there. Constant banging - sledge hammers on steel - to bend the plates into shape. Despite folks leaving, there was no connected cabins available to move us to (and our kids were next door) so we stuck it out. Really rough sleeping. The port itself was closed during those extra days so it was more like a sea day, but Maujaul was open and it was interesting to go there with mostly locals, since no other ships were in town. They did start running out of things, but not horribly so. When we did set sail, unfortunately the noise was even worse (louder) at sea because the noise was more enclosed I guess. And the communication about flights, accomodations, etc was really more like "trust us, we'll take care of you" which was a little uncomfortable. And of course, there was a HOLE in the boat - which was always in the back of our minds! But soon enough we were back in New Orleans, where they put us up at a hotel (with the same very-unhappy folks who were SUPPOSED to get on next, but didn't). So that was pretty crazy as you might imagine. We had to spend an extra night there before flying out the following day (Wed vs the previous Saturday). They did give us meal vouchers but the hotel was basically out of food. Still, New Orleans doesn't lack cuisine that's for sure!

So probably more of a "disaster" for RCL than us. I can't imagine the logistics nightmare of moving thousands of reservations, hotel rooms, food, etc. RCL really earned their money on that one. And WAS fun to call into work and say "hey boss, I'm stuck in Costa Maya!" Made for a great cruise story.

We were on Conquest when the shooting at Ft Hood happened last Nov. I was walking down the hall, a couple of men were discussing it so I asked what happened. When they told me, I went pack to my room & turned the TV on. So sad that I can't imagine being on a vacation when 9/11 happened.

We sailed out of Galveston in August 2005 with Hurricane Katrina waiting in the Gulf of Mexico. The crew told us to expect some high seas. I knew it was going to be wild when I saw the crew securing the pool chairs to the railing with rope. We sailed through the south end of Katrina to Key West. That was my first cruise. I didn't know that a ship could move and bend that much.

Our catastrophe was on the Brilliance last month in Villefranche - when the Mediteranean got so choppy that the ship left 1800 of us on shore and we had to be bused to Toloun - about 3-4 hours away - we got on the ship at 1:30 in the morning - some didn't get back til after four a.m. - was not fun the next day for our tour which we had to be up for 6:30 a.m. - but we managed to get through it - Royal said this happens about once a year and we had to be one of the unlucky ones:)

I was on the Grandeur when they announced during our second seating dinner that the war in Iraq began. My then boyfriend (now husband) was deployed there, so I immediately excused myself and glued myself to the tv coverage at one of the bars. It is now interesting to read my letters to him that are on the RCCL note pads etc.

I couldn't imagine being on a cruise during 9/11.

I've related this story before, but it's a good one. Absolutely true - happened in April 2008. This is a tale of having to go through the worst to get to the best.

We (self (46 years old), wife (45), son (10), dad (75), and mom (73)) were scheduled to fly out of Milwaukee on Saturday, April 5th at 7:00am via Delta. Due to storms in Atlanta the previous day, everything was late getting into the various destinations (including Milwaukee) the previous evening, and due to FAA regulations, our flight out Saturday was immediately delayed by 3 hours. After checking with the gate agent in Milwaukee, we were “assured” that we “probably” would make our connecting flight, since we’d have 20 minutes to catch it. When we arrived in Atlanta, we found our connecting flight had already departed. As a result, we put on standby for a 2:20pm flight (Grandeur was scheduled to leave at 5:00pm). We were 15th-19th on the standby list; next to no chance of making this flight, and next flight out would get us to Tampa at 11:00pm (well after Grandeur left).

Luckily for us, we purchased the Cruisecare insurance through RCCL, so we immediately got on the phone to them to get some assistance. Let me say that Melissa from Berkley (the underwriters of the policy) was WONDERFUL in trying to help us get flights to Grand Cayman through Miami (to catch up with the ship) and hotel rooms in Grand Cayman on a Saturday night. Melissa told us to go to the Airtran ticket counter (outside security – this becomes important later on), where we could buy our tickets that were being held for us. We purchased our tickets to Miami from Airtran (no checked luggage, since our luggage is on Delta and on it’s way to Tampa, even though we tried to get Delta to take the bags off the flight), then got back in line to go through security again. At this point, we have about 40 minutes before the flight leaves, and the lines are long. We’re thinking, “Oh, no…we’re going to miss this flight too.”. Eventually, we get to the TSA screeners and my wife (who’s nickname is Pit Bull) is asked to go into “the pen” for a pat-down search; then, my son, myself, my mom, and my dad. Turns out that the airline flagged us for additional searches, since we paid cash for the one-way tickets, at the last minute, with no luggage checked. Finally, we get through security and have just over 10 minutes before the flight leaves. We run to the shuttle tram to the concourse where our plane is, get off, and I start running down the concourse to beg them not to close the doors on the plane (since Mom and Dad can’t run). We just make the flight…OK…take a deep breath….we’re on our way!

We arrived in Miami, then rushed to the Cayman Airlines ticket counter. Of course, the ticket agent had problems finding our reservation. When she did, she gave us a different price than Melissa had quoted us. After some help from a supervisor (who was really great and helped us a lot), we had our tickets and boarding passes. At this point, it’s approaching 7:00pm, and we’ve had nothing to eat since 5:30am in Milwaukee. So we headed over to the nearest fast food place, grab a quick bite to eat, then head off to our gate for our flight to Grand Cayman.

At about 9:15pm, our flight landed in Grand Cayman, and by 9:45pm, we’re in a taxi headed towards the hotel that Melissa booked for us (Marriott Courtyard, on Seven Mile Beach). A quick stop for basic necessities (toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.), then we arrive at the hotel. Nice hotel, nice desk clerks. We check in, get settled, and my dad and I head to the bar for a quick nightcap (we figured we earned it). We order a glass of Merlot and a gin & tonic - $30 USD, including tip (whoa!).

The next day (Sunday), we get up and enjoy the warm sun and pool (son especially enjoys it). At one point, we see iguanas roaming around near the pool, so my Dad decides he wants to get a closer look, stumbles and falls and gashes his hand. Blood pouring out, we grab towels and get him to the room. Bleeding stops, but hand starts swelling. Dad refuses to go to a doctor or hospital, so we continue on with the day (side note: I found out today Dad did indeed break a bone, but he STILL refuses treatment. Boy, is he STUBBORN!).

At about 3:00pm Sunday, we realize the luggage still hasn’t shown up, so we go to the front desk and start calling the various airlines involved (Delta, Cayman Airways). Turns out the luggage was still in Tampa and won’t get to Grand Cayman until the next day (when we’re scheduled to catch up with the ship and leave). But they promise it will make it in time, so not to worry. At this point, my wife and I decide we need some clothes, so down to the gift shop to buy a couple of things to wear. However, there is no place open in Grand Cayman on a Sunday that sells things like underwear or socks. So, late Sunday night/Monday morning (at about 2:00am), my wife was doing laundry at the hotel.

Monday morning we see the ship pulling into port. YAY! Something positive!! We get a cab and take it to the port. The first RCCL representative we find is Richard, a security officer from Britain. We explained we were catching up to the ship, and he was so considerate of our plight to this point, and was so nice to all of us! They’d been expecting us, he says, and after a few minutes we’re on the tender to the ship. There, we’re met by Diane from RCCL guest services, who immediately hears our story and is very sympathetic and sensitive to what we’ve gone through to get there. Through security, up the elevator, and over to the purser’s desk where Arlene from RCCL guest services is waiting for us. She starts jumping up & down, yelling, saying how glad she is we made it, that they were expecting us. Finally!!! We’re home, where someone cares about us and doesn’t make promises they aren’t keeping (like the airlines with our luggage, now MIA for a third day).

After checking in, we head up to the Windjammer for some much-needed fuel and start to relax for a bit. However, by 3:00pm (that ominous hour that it had become), we realize we STILL have no luggage. My wife and I head down to the purser’s desk, where Dragana Dumic (guest services officer) is. We explain our situation, and she gets on the phone and calls Cayman Airlines. Turns out that they (Cayman Airlines/Delta) would not release the luggage, since we were no longer at the hotel, then claim they can’t get the luggage to us in time. At this point, we’re at our wits end, so Dragana takes over, gets on the phone, and says, “Look – you are about 10 minutes from here, the ship leaves in 45 minutes. You WILL do your best to get it to the ship by then.”

We go up to the pool deck and I grab a lounge chair, and my wife goes over to the rail to watch the tenders coming in. As the very last tender is coming in, she notices something familiar – our bags. She starts jumping up & down, screaming and yelling. I immediately race down to the first floor, where the tender is docking. I see Dragana, walkie-talkie in hand, saying, “Please let the Krafts know that their luggage has arrived.” At this point, she sees me and motions me over to let me see them. At this point, I broke down and starting sobbing from exhaustion and emotion that had been building for the last 3 days.

From that point on, the cruise was great. Thankfully, the cruise insurance we took out should cover most of our costs we had catching up to the ship. But once again, Royal Caribbean exceeded our expectations. At the return passenger party, I stopped the Captain (Captain Rob) and told him what a fabulous crew he had, explained our situation, and how wonderful everyone had been. If you happen to go on the Grandeur and see Dragana, tell her the Krafts say HI and thank you for everything she did for us.

I've related this story before, but it's a good one. Absolutely true - happened in April 2008. This is a tale of having to go through the worst to get to the best.

We (self (46 years old), wife (45), son (10), dad (75), and mom (73)) were scheduled to fly out of Milwaukee on Saturday, April 5th at 7:00am via Delta. Due to storms in Atlanta the previous day, everything was late getting into the various destinations (including Milwaukee) the previous evening, and due to FAA regulations, our flight out Saturday was immediately delayed by 3 hours. After checking with the gate agent in Milwaukee, we were “assured” that we “probably” would make our connecting flight, since we’d have 20 minutes to catch it. When we arrived in Atlanta, we found our connecting flight had already departed. As a result, we put on standby for a 2:20pm flight (Grandeur was scheduled to leave at 5:00pm). We were 15th-19th on the standby list; next to no chance of making this flight, and next flight out would get us to Tampa at 11:00pm (well after Grandeur left).

Luckily for us, we purchased the Cruisecare insurance through RCCL, so we immediately got on the phone to them to get some assistance. Let me say that Melissa from Berkley (the underwriters of the policy) was WONDERFUL in trying to help us get flights to Grand Cayman through Miami (to catch up with the ship) and hotel rooms in Grand Cayman on a Saturday night. Melissa told us to go to the Airtran ticket counter (outside security – this becomes important later on), where we could buy our tickets that were being held for us. We purchased our tickets to Miami from Airtran (no checked luggage, since our luggage is on Delta and on it’s way to Tampa, even though we tried to get Delta to take the bags off the flight), then got back in line to go through security again. At this point, we have about 40 minutes before the flight leaves, and the lines are long. We’re thinking, “Oh, no…we’re going to miss this flight too.”. Eventually, we get to the TSA screeners and my wife (who’s nickname is Pit Bull) is asked to go into “the pen” for a pat-down search; then, my son, myself, my mom, and my dad. Turns out that the airline flagged us for additional searches, since we paid cash for the one-way tickets, at the last minute, with no luggage checked. Finally, we get through security and have just over 10 minutes before the flight leaves. We run to the shuttle tram to the concourse where our plane is, get off, and I start running down the concourse to beg them not to close the doors on the plane (since Mom and Dad can’t run). We just make the flight…OK…take a deep breath….we’re on our way!

We arrived in Miami, then rushed to the Cayman Airlines ticket counter. Of course, the ticket agent had problems finding our reservation. When she did, she gave us a different price than Melissa had quoted us. After some help from a supervisor (who was really great and helped us a lot), we had our tickets and boarding passes. At this point, it’s approaching 7:00pm, and we’ve had nothing to eat since 5:30am in Milwaukee. So we headed over to the nearest fast food place, grab a quick bite to eat, then head off to our gate for our flight to Grand Cayman.

At about 9:15pm, our flight landed in Grand Cayman, and by 9:45pm, we’re in a taxi headed towards the hotel that Melissa booked for us (Marriott Courtyard, on Seven Mile Beach). A quick stop for basic necessities (toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.), then we arrive at the hotel. Nice hotel, nice desk clerks. We check in, get settled, and my dad and I head to the bar for a quick nightcap (we figured we earned it). We order a glass of Merlot and a gin & tonic - $30 USD, including tip (whoa!).

The next day (Sunday), we get up and enjoy the warm sun and pool (son especially enjoys it). At one point, we see iguanas roaming around near the pool, so my Dad decides he wants to get a closer look, stumbles and falls and gashes his hand. Blood pouring out, we grab towels and get him to the room. Bleeding stops, but hand starts swelling. Dad refuses to go to a doctor or hospital, so we continue on with the day (side note: I found out today Dad did indeed break a bone, but he STILL refuses treatment. Boy, is he STUBBORN!).

At about 3:00pm Sunday, we realize the luggage still hasn’t shown up, so we go to the front desk and start calling the various airlines involved (Delta, Cayman Airways). Turns out the luggage was still in Tampa and won’t get to Grand Cayman until the next day (when we’re scheduled to catch up with the ship and leave). But they promise it will make it in time, so not to worry. At this point, my wife and I decide we need some clothes, so down to the gift shop to buy a couple of things to wear. However, there is no place open in Grand Cayman on a Sunday that sells things like underwear or socks. So, late Sunday night/Monday morning (at about 2:00am), my wife was doing laundry at the hotel.

Monday morning we see the ship pulling into port. YAY! Something positive!! We get a cab and take it to the port. The first RCCL representative we find is Richard, a security officer from Britain. We explained we were catching up to the ship, and he was so considerate of our plight to this point, and was so nice to all of us! They’d been expecting us, he says, and after a few minutes we’re on the tender to the ship. There, we’re met by Diane from RCCL guest services, who immediately hears our story and is very sympathetic and sensitive to what we’ve gone through to get there. Through security, up the elevator, and over to the purser’s desk where Arlene from RCCL guest services is waiting for us. She starts jumping up & down, yelling, saying how glad she is we made it, that they were expecting us. Finally!!! We’re home, where someone cares about us and doesn’t make promises they aren’t keeping (like the airlines with our luggage, now MIA for a third day).

After checking in, we head up to the Windjammer for some much-needed fuel and start to relax for a bit. However, by 3:00pm (that ominous hour that it had become), we realize we STILL have no luggage. My wife and I head down to the purser’s desk, where Dragana Dumic (guest services officer) is. We explain our situation, and she gets on the phone and calls Cayman Airlines. Turns out that they (Cayman Airlines/Delta) would not release the luggage, since we were no longer at the hotel, then claim they can’t get the luggage to us in time. At this point, we’re at our wits end, so Dragana takes over, gets on the phone, and says, “Look – you are about 10 minutes from here, the ship leaves in 45 minutes. You WILL do your best to get it to the ship by then.”

We go up to the pool deck and I grab a lounge chair, and my wife goes over to the rail to watch the tenders coming in. As the very last tender is coming in, she notices something familiar – our bags. She starts jumping up & down, screaming and yelling. I immediately race down to the first floor, where the tender is docking. I see Dragana, walkie-talkie in hand, saying, “Please let the Krafts know that their luggage has arrived.” At this point, she sees me and motions me over to let me see them. At this point, I broke down and starting sobbing from exhaustion and emotion that had been building for the last 3 days.

From that point on, the cruise was great. Thankfully, the cruise insurance we took out should cover most of our costs we had catching up to the ship. But once again, Royal Caribbean exceeded our expectations. At the return passenger party, I stopped the Captain (Captain Rob) and told him what a fabulous crew he had, explained our situation, and how wonderful everyone had been. If you happen to go on the Grandeur and see Dragana, tell her the Krafts say HI and thank you for everything she did for us.

Wow, my stomach twisted and turned all through that story! LOL.

On my first cruise, we lost one of the three ships on Christmas Eve when it ran aground.:(

On my third cruise, half the passengers and crew died from disease or the elements.:(

On our latest cruise, it would have to be the Baked Cod, or maybe the Lasagna at dinner.:eek:

Edited by EVALUATOR