So who has had a disaster experience while on a cruise?

My disaster was my 1st cruise ever. Apparently they served bad strawberries they picked up in Mexico and it made over 75% of the ship sick (according to the ship dr.) So severely sick that 2 people had even passed away while on the ship. :eek: Carnival gave us a 'lovely' 10% off our next cruise to apologize. Wasn't that sweet.

Hey your first cruise was my first cruise too! I also was on the Jubilee in 1996 and did the same ports as you. Thankfully we were not on the bad strawberry cruise!

A couple of years ago, we were sitting on our balcony on a HAL ship to watch the Independence of the Seas across from us depart from St. Kitts. We saw her side thruster waves overturn the small boat containing two dock workers. Tragically, they drowned.

We remained docked for several hours as they searched and recovered the bodies. It was a sad evening throughout our ship.

Edited by cruzincurt

Last year we were on Mariner and we (there was 4 of us) had reservations at Chops. Around 4:30 I was coming back to my room and my boyfriend is standing outside our room while there is staff all over and the rooms across from us were flooded. As I get closer to my room, my BF tells me we cant go into ours yet. while it was not flooded, the carpet was drenched and the bathrooms were soaked. So here I am getting disappointed that we are going to miss our dinner reservations when one of the head cabin managers comes over to me and tells me not to worry he will take care of everything. Our room stewart shows up with cleaning supplies in hand, sanatizes the bathroom so I can get ready, while other crew is trying to mop up the water. I ask about moving our reservations to the next hour and the staff look at me with a smile and tell me not to worry we will be seated as soon as we are ready. When we finally make it up to the restuarant we are treated like gold. They comped our bill and brought us a nice bottle of wine to make up for it. This was so nice considering the only thing I asked for was to move our reservations up an hour. I love RCCL!!! They really do go above and beyond.
Nope have never had a DISASTER per say on any cruise.....K.O.:)

In 2010 we were on 12 night Celebrity Mediterranean cruise that was cancelled on the second night due to damaged rudders. The captain announced it at 10:00 pm. We never heard or saw him again. A couple of days later we were tendered to Nice and put on a bus for a nine hour bus ride back to Barcelona where we departed. I fell getting off the tender and according to the ship's nurse, sprained my ankle. She gave me a baggie of ice and a bottle of water. I was the only person on the bus who got a bottle of water even though there were pallets of water available. No food either.

We stayed in Barcelona for a couple days then flew back home. I went to the emergency room when we got home and found out that I had a broken ankle. I was in a cast for six weeks. We were on the cruise with another couple. The wife had ovarian cancer and this was to be her "trip of a lifetime". She died four months later.

We were reimbursed for the cruise fare and received a voucher equal to 25% of what we paid for the cruise which in our case was $250. Our friend's widower, needless to say, wasn't ready to cruise for awhile after his wife died and asked if he could get an extension on the voucher expiration date and was refused.

All in all, a terrible experience!

Edited by CruisinNole