Orient to Maho

GTO-Girl

We will be in St Martin in November and our group of six adults all seem to want to go to Orient for a couple of hours and then to Maho to watch the planes.

I know from the Port to Orient (if we have a full van) is $6pp. Can anyone give me an idea of what a cab would cost from Orient to Maho.....and then from Maho back to the cruiseship?

We didn't really want to book a tour because no one in our group is interested in doing any shopping.

Thanks for your help!!!!

We did this last year. We picked up a cab at the port (A chevy Suburban so there was plenty of room) We told the driver we wanted to go to Orient beach and then to Maho. He told us to give him a time we wanted to leave orient beach and head to maho and he was there waiting for us right on time. I believe it was around $25 from Orient to Maho and then another $20 from Maho to the pier for 2 of us but it was definatley worth it.

This was the most fun I have EVER had on a vacation...We did not want to leave Orient beach but once we got to Maho and saw the first plane land it was amazing.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Our cab driver promised to come back to Orient and pick us up to take us to Maho. He never showed up. I've had this experience twice in St. Maarten. I think they mean they'll come back if they have nothing else to do. No worry's though. There should be plenty of taxi's at Orient and you should be able to find a ride to Maho. Some drivers don't want to make the long trek- they like to drive back and forth to the dock.

We met up with a great driver, who seemed to be in charge of the taxi drivers at Orient who drove us to Maho and then arranged for another taxi to pick us up at a designated time to get us back to port on time. It costs more to go to Maho than Orient- I think we paid about $19-20 dollars from Orient to Maho and a little less than that back to the dock.

Your other option that may cost even less is to take a tour that includes both places. I've read Bernard's goes to both and will make sure you get to Maho in time for the big planes. But if you want the freedom to come and go on your own time, taxi's are abundant for the most part.

Great plans for the day. How long are the trips between each place? Between the pier and Orient Beach? from there to Maho and from there back to the pier? What time would be reasonable to leave Orient and still fit in a trip to Maho?

I have read that the larger planes seem to land near the end of the afternoon. Do you know if this is the case?

Thanks in advance. Thinking about planning this, too.

There is another thread going about this very question, but I didn't see the specifics I was looking for re: times between stops and times re: planes, so thought I would keep this question here. Thanks

After giving our group the info on Bernard Tours, we may very well just book with him......even though we aren't shoppers.

He gets such wonderful reviews and seems to do such a great job. That way I know we will get to see both Orient & Maho and make it back to the ship in plenty of time.....(which is my biggest worry-due to afternoon traffic).

Happy Sailing Everyone!!!!

Great plans for the day. How long are the trips between each place? Between the pier and Orient Beach? from there to Maho and from there back to the pier? What time would be reasonable to leave Orient and still fit in a trip to Maho?

I have read that the larger planes seem to land near the end of the afternoon. Do you know if this is the case?

Thanks in advance. Thinking about planning this, too.

I can't remember exactly, but I would guess about 30 minutes from Orient to Maho and a little less from Maho to the port. If you encounter traffic jams on the way to port, you might need to add a few minutes. To play it safe, we left Maho at 3:30 in time for a 5pm departure and made it back in plenty of time.

The important factor[besides making it back to the ship on time], is to make sure you allow yourself enough time to get to Maho in time to see the biggest jets arrive. Since our original driver did not come back, it took us extra time to get another taxi and in the meantime, we missed the jumbo jet arrive. We still saw plenty of planes- but I wish I had gotten there a little earlier.

My DH and I are not shoppers either. But Bernard's tour was perfect for us. The area he drops you off to shop is beautiful. I took some great pictures of the fort, marina and other sites. We just walked around and took in the beauty. Bernard is very careful with time. We were back in plenty of time to catch the ship and even drop by Sharkey's for a quick drink. I noticed several other passengers whose tours barely made it back, but not us. Have fun. St. Maarten is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

After giving our group the info on Bernard Tours, we may very well just book with him......even though we aren't shoppers.

He gets such wonderful reviews and seems to do such a great job. That way I know we will get to see both Orient & Maho and make it back to the ship in plenty of time.....(which is my biggest worry-due to afternoon traffic).

Happy Sailing Everyone!!!!

Archived