Sorrento-Pompei-Vesuvius-Naples.

YVR-ITA

I am wondering if this is possible: Our ship docksor tenders at 0800 and leaves at 2300. From Sorrento take Circumvesuviana train to Pompei site, tour site, take bus trip to mount Vesuvius, return to Pompei, hop on train to Naples, visit Archeologiacal Museum, walk to dock in Naples and take Hydrofoil back to Sorrento. My wife says I'm crazy!!!!:confused:

You married a smart woman!

Actually, what you've laid out can be done, but just because it can be doesn't make it reasonable or enjoyable.

However, it's your vacation. If public transit is how you want to spend it, go for it. Recognize, as you plan, that you need to build in pad for things going wrong, which will necessarily limit the amount of time you can actually spend in Pompei or at the museum.

I am wondering if this is possible: Our ship docksor tenders at 0800 and leaves at 2300. From Sorrento take Circumvesuviana train to Pompei site, tour site, take bus trip to mount Vesuvius, return to Pompei, hop on train to Naples, visit Archeologiacal Museum, walk to dock in Naples and take Hydrofoil back to Sorrento. My wife says I'm crazy!!!!:confused:

Personally I think it's too ambitious, but if you are going to DIY, you can decide once you are there whether or not it's possible to fit all of the sites in, based on how your day is going. If the heat is oppressive, you may find it too much.

You probably won't get on the train from Sorrento to Pompeii until 9 a.m. and by the time you travel there and visit the site, won't be finished until close to noon. You'll probably want to allow 3-4 hours for Vesuvius (including travel time) ... and then back on the train to Naples around 4 or later. That would give you a couple of hours at the museum before it closes. I'm not sure how late the ferries run though.

Here's a link to reviews that I found helpful when we were considering doing Vesuvius by bus: TA forum/Vesuvius We decided to skip it once we were there (at Herculaneum) and instead went back to Sorrento and enjoyed exploring there. (We had visited Pompeii & the Amalfi coast on a previous trip.)

Personally I think it's too ambitious, but if you are going to DIY, you can decide once you are there whether or not it's possible to fit all of the sites in, based on how your day is going. If the heat is oppressive, you may find it too much.

You probably won't get on the train from Sorrento to Pompeii until 9 a.m. and by the time you travel there and visit the site, won't be finished until close to noon. You'll probably want to allow 3-4 hours for Vesuvius (including travel time) ... and then back on the train to Naples around 4 or later. That would give you a couple of hours at the museum before it closes. I'm not sure how late the ferries run though.

Here's a link to reviews that I found helpful when we were considering doing Vesuvius by bus: TA forum/Vesuvius We decided to skip it once we were there (at Herculaneum) and instead went back to Sorrento and enjoyed exploring there. (We had visited Pompeii & the Amalfi coast on a previous trip.)

Great info :)

Thanks Susan

. My wife says I'm crazy!!!!:confused:

Yep.:D

You really do need to bin something in order to enjoy rather than clock-watch.

No point in going to Sorrento if you're gonna dash straight to the rail station - you might as well catch the same train from Naples to Pompeii. But it'd be a shame to miss Sorrento, & the ferry across the Bay.

The archaeology museum is the "detail" from Pompeii etc, so its on the same theme. But it is your safety-valve, helping ensure you don't miss the sailing.

I'd say bin Vesuvius - there's a 15min hike at the top & IMHO it's not a wondrous sight.

If you choose to go ahead as you plan, I suggest you keep an open mind on the day, and to avoid a ridiculous rush or falling behind the clock be prepared to go Pompeii-Vesuvius-Naples museum by taxi. Or even skip Vesuvius if neccessary

JB

Archived