Ruby-PH vs mini-suites

SusieKay

We haven't cruised on Princess in a few years, but are considering booking the Ruby to the Caribbean in November. We have been to all the ports previously, so do not need info on them..

Trying to decide between the full PH suite, or the mini-suite, and would appreciate input from those who have stayed in either. We have read the info re; the perks included with the full suites, and wondering if the additional cost (it appears to be double), is worth it to those who have stayed there- Thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

We recently sailed on the Emerald (sister ship, same deck plan) and had booked an AA mini suite midship (we have stayed in both minis and full suites numerous time in the past on Princess) but were upgraded to a PH suite complimentary.

I have to be honest, if you are looking to book a full suite on this class of ship, look anywhere besides the PH suites. They are located directly under the Lido deck on this class of ship (unlike those PH suites on the regular Grand Class which are wonderful), and I swear it was so noisy in those suites we didn't sleep more than 4 or 5 hours each night. And the noise was even worse during the day in R411. Passengers sound like they will be falling directly through the ceiling over the bed all day and for most of the night.

Just a bit of warning, as most suites on Princess are lovely, but I can't say anything good or great about this location, that is unless you don't plan to sleep for the entire week you are onboard except between the hours of 1 AM and 5 AM where we actually had semi (yes only semi, as I think some passengers walk the decks all night long) quiet.

If I would have paid the price for this suite, I can't tell you how upset I would have been. Since it was a complimentary upgrade, I didn't feel like there was all that much room to complain, so I didn't.

I have actually forwarded a few thoughts to Princess on how they might cut down on the noise in these lovely suites (at least in the night time hours). As a suite isn't great if you can't even carry on a conversation because of the party and stomping going on over your head, or even sleep at night. ;)

Thanks so much Toto, for your very insightful and helpful comments. I must confess, I had not yet looked at the deck plan above. What a disappointment to have all that noise overhead!! Who wants to be kept awake all night?

Any one else stayed in other P suites in other locations on the ship?? Quieter?? Same amenities.?? Recommendations ??

We recently sailed on the Emerald (sister ship, same deck plan) and had booked an AA mini suite midship (we have stayed in both minis and full suites numerous time in the past on Princess) but were upgraded to a PH suite complimentary.

I have to be honest, if you are looking to book a full suite on this class of ship, look anywhere besides the PH suites. They are located directly under the Lido deck on this class of ship (unlike those PH suites on the regular Grand Class which are wonderful), and I swear it was so noisy in those suites we didn't sleep more than 4 or 5 hours each night. And the noise was even worse during the day in R411. Passengers sound like they will be falling directly through the ceiling over the bed all day and for most of the night.

Just a bit of warning, as most suites on Princess are lovely, but I can't say anything good or great about this location, that is unless you don't plan to sleep for the entire week you are onboard except between the hours of 1 AM and 5 AM where we actually had semi (yes only semi, as I think some passengers walk the decks all night long) quiet.

If I would have paid the price for this suite, I can't tell you how upset I would have been. Since it was a complimentary upgrade, I didn't feel like there was all that much room to complain, so I didn't.

I have actually forwarded a few thoughts to Princess on how they might cut down on the noise in these lovely suites (at least in the night time hours). As a suite isn't great if you can't even carry on a conversation because of the party and stomping going on over your head, or even sleep at night. ;)

My DW and I sailed on the Ruby last September in R405 and we LOVED it. My wife complains if we have a ticking watch in the room at home but we had no problems with noise from music or people walking about on Lido. Some people recommend the PS suites but we find we dislike the movement and vibration at the rear of the ship.

A full suite is a much better option than a mini and if the money is not a major problem I would always go for a full suite. The extra space and perks that come with it really make the difference and the breakfast in Sabatini's is superb. If you are not worried about shore excursions, book the Sanctuary for the whole cruise as well and live in luxury for the duration.

We don't think there is any comparison between the Full and Mini suite experience and will only sail in Full suites. Having said that, it's each to their own of course.

I'd agree with Toto that you should avoid the PH's on Riviera and look more towards the VS's & PS's aft. The massive balcony alone on the aft suites makes it worth every penny and they are so much quieter and private.

I can't say we've ever experienced any vibration aft and rough seas are rough seas whether you're up front, mid-ships or aft.

Archived