SS Spirit Advice Lisbon-Barbados & Beyond

ravenclaw

Greetings to All :),

My first CC post and hopefully our first SS cruise, (Spirit Lisbon-Bridgetown

10/23-11/6/2010), pending waitlist outcome for particular deck/cabin choice. Per SS staff, currently number two on the list, so in case it becomes a reality and perhaps with short notice, a few questions to the experienced cruisers and SS cognoscenti.

1) Assuming we're booked on this cruise #1, planning on staying in Barbados for 7 days..any recommendations on Barbados lodging that offer beachfront location with privacy,peace and quiet in a mostly adult environment ? We avoid big hotels/resorts.

2)Again, if booked on cruise #1 and after 7 day stay in Barbados, planning to book cruise #2 on Spirit, (if available), Bridgetown-Ft. Lauderdale, 11/13-11-22. As we cannot book cruise #2 unless we know we've secured cruise#1, is it possible to book this second Spirit cruise while aboard the ship on the way to Bridgetown ? Pros/Cons ?

We're extremely flexible on the cruise #2 option, preferable to flying back to the US from Barbados, but not a must on this trip as we can do a similar cruise a couple of months later.

3) Regarding trip insurance..the SS GuestCare Travel Insurance along with other companies I researched on links posted on Cruise Critic all offer comprehensive insurance for trip cancellation,medical, baggage,etc. Anybody know of a insurance provider who covers only the trip cancellation costs and not the other bundled coverages?

Thanks much.

First off, don't worry about where you're located on Silver Spirit. The only staterooms that are less than desireable are a couple on deck 6 just above the bar; everywhere else is fine. The ship is the best riding ship afloat. Since the occupancy rate is @ 87% average, you should have no problem getting on. Regarding a stay in Barbados for 7 days, it would not be on my bucket list. I think you'd be much better off just doing the B2B from Lisbon-FLL. That's what we're doing in Oct/Nov 2011. I don't understand why you wouldn't want your entire trip insured. There are an awful lot of claims re air, baggage, medical, etc.

Doug,

thanks for your input...the bundled insurance sounds like the way to go then..as for the Barbados 7 day stay, (after Lisbn-Brdgtwn cruise), in order to catch the voyage on the Spirit from Barbados to FLL, its because we need to be in FLL for 2 weeks right after arrival, so looking for a smooth

"transition".Taking the B2B cruise would just put us back in Barbados and require a flight. I just read the Roll Call for the Lisb-Barb cruise and a CCer who lives in Barbados offered local info, so will contact him.

Thanks again.

I agree with Doug. Do the back to back. There are few and maybe none adult resorts in Barbados. Perhaps you could find a B&B off the beaten track. Perhaps an experienced TA could help you. We stayed at the Hilton and Fairmont. Lovely places, but no matter when you go there are kids. I think there is an all-inclusive there but they welcome families. Who knows why. Also, another thing to consider is Barbados is a tough place to fly out of. So, make your reservations early. Our hub Atlanta only has 1 coming and 1 going once a week. Just depends on where you are travelling from.

As far as SS goes, you will enjoy yourself and be spoiled completely. Enjoy. Planning is half the fun.:)

We will be on the Lisbon-Bridgetown cruise. Barbados is primarily a resort destination with a few boutique hotels and relatively few tourist attractions away from the beaches. On the (calmer) west coast, there is a string of purpose-built beachfront resort hotels with various standards of accommodation and pricing. Many of them have villa-type accommodations and multiple (concrete) pools. Some are all-inclusive, which may or may not be good news depending on your POV. Of course, you are travelling out of school vacation time, so that will reduce the number of older children. Purpose-built resorts tend to have separate shallow pools for small children.

An alternative idea, subject to budget and inclination, might be to take the middle cruise Barbados-Barbados as well. You might have to swich cabins on changeover day, but the staff make it painless.

Subject to availability, you can book extension cruises when you are already on board. However, it will probably be cheaper to book in advance.

We've always found independent insurance to be better value, but YMMV.

Marcie & jgibbs,

thanks for your replies and insights on my questions...it appears that Barbados has limited options that would satisfy our requirements and making a choice might result in disappointment after the TA crossing on the Spirit. Will explore option into "bridging" the gap between cruise #1, (Lisb-Bridgtwn), and cruise #2, (Bridgtwn-FLL), with the B2B Spirit cruise. Looking at the itineraries of the three cruises, in particular the Barbados end, it gives us a lot of time in Bridgetown and some duplicate island visits, if we add the B2B cruise.

Thanks again.

You are welcome, Ravenclaw. Don't be concerned about duplicate island visits. You can take a different tour, go out into town alone, or stay onboard and enjoy having the ship and pool practically all to yourself. :)

You will find some information oon Barbados hotels in a thread I started on FlyerTalk under Luxury Hotels in the Travel and Dining section.

Hi Paint Horse,

thanks for the tip..heading over to the site, to check it out.

You are welcome, Ravenclaw. Don't be concerned about duplicate island visits. You can take a different tour, go out into town alone, or stay onboard and enjoy having the ship and pool practically all to yourself. :)

Marcie,

great idea, after an initial visit, if the same island/stop and it's the second time around, stay onboard ship and enjoy..matter of fact, do all island tours quickly and head back to ship for peace and relaxation :)....when I was younger, quite a while back, remember doing seven European countries in 3 days (from Holland to Greece);)... depending on the circumstances, sometimes speed touring can work for some.

Archived