QM2 Grand Around the Mediterranean

Classiccruiser777

This September 12 we are taking the QM2 RT from Brooklyn to the Med via Southampton. We haven't done one of these "grand around" voyages before (though we have taken QM2 cruises previously) and would like to know how they differ from other Cunard cruises. For instance, it looks as if Cunard considers these as three separate voyages, i.e., two crossings and the Mediterranean cruise from Southampton.

Will we have different tables for dinner (Britannia) on each leg? Will we get invites to the World Club and Captain's receptions for each leg? Do we get two hours of free internet for each leg (we are currently at the "gold" level)? I read somewhere that Cunard will settle our on-board account for each segment. Is this true? Any other differences from a more typical cruise?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

Last year we did Southampton - New York - Independence Day Cruise - New York - Southampton.

We went to 3 Captain's Cocktail Parties. We were only silver members so I can't say about World Club parties or internet access.

We asked the maitre'd if we coulkd have the same table for each leg.

Our only niggle was that it only counted as one voyage for World Club puropses, rather than 3. If we had booked it as 3 separate segments, rather than one voyage, it would have counted as 2 more voyages towards the next level up

A suggestion! copy your question ad your booking number/s ad your World club number, then email it to the World club help desk, on receiving the reply save it and print it of & take it onboard with you, i suggest this as Cunard shore-side & onboard staff frequently have different opinion's on procedure

If you are booked on the Grand voyage then it only counts as one. If you booked the 3 segments, then of course it's three voyages. Cunard now counts number of voyages or number of days so I reached Platinum even though I hadn't the requisite number of voyages but with several Grand voyages I had accumulated enough days.

Generally I have remained at the same table unless you are not happy with location, but speak with the maitre d'. Your waitstaff could change since they rotate staff around the dining room.

On my Grand Med we had the same table and waitstaff for the first & second segments. On the third segment we had the same table but the staff had rotated. You would have to then ask yourself whether you want to follow your waitstaff or stay in the same location. If that is the case be sure to speak with the maitre d' before the end of each segment.

Unless they have changed their book-keeping, you will not pay your on board charges until the end of the entire voyage.

I have always received invitations for each segment.

And my favourite - as you approach Southampton, everybody will be busy packing and hauling suitcases out into the hall and unless you are changing cabins you have no hassles. Prior to Southampton you will be given instructions regarding being an "In-transit passenger".

This September 12 we are taking the QM2 RT from Brooklyn to the Med via Southampton. We haven't done one of these "grand around" voyages before (though we have taken QM2 cruises previously) and would like to know how they differ from other Cunard cruises. For instance, it looks as if Cunard considers these as three separate voyages, i.e., two crossings and the Mediterranean cruise from Southampton.

There is a roll call for the Med cruise at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1053958 which you might be interested in viewing.

Peter

I did two segments of the World Cruise this year and they seemed to be treated differently for different purposes. So I got two lots of internet allowances and two free Todd English lunches but only one Captain's cocktail party and one world club party and no senior officers party at all (I'm Diamond!)

Archived