cares - Airplane harnesses for little ones

nannybeth

Do any of you plan on using the CARES system for your kids while flying. It's a 5 point harness seatbelt for the little ones to use instead of just using the seat belt.

We are flying with a 3 and a 5 year old in August and are thinking about it for the 3 year old. The 5 year old is probably big enough for a regular seatbelt, don't you think?

Let me know your opinions if you have ever used this system, or seen them used on flights.

Thanks!

Bought mine for our recent cruise....we got it set up, but our daughter was so scared, she did not use it. She was sleeping and moving around too much. My daughter is 2.5 so maybe we can use it better as she gets older. My five year old used the regular seat belt.

i actually rented one last year for a trip with my then 22 month old. unfortunately, the plane was booked solid. i love the concept and it's a lot better than hauling around a car seat. would've loved using it. we don't have any flight plans in our near future, but i will rent one again when the time arises.

I used one last year for my 2.5 year old. It worked great and I was glad we had it because I felt that made him realize he had to sit in the plane. Now we just use the seatbelt. Unless your 3 year old is on the small side, you probably don't need it.

Do any of you plan on using the CARES system for your kids while flying. It's a 5 point harness seatbelt for the little ones to use instead of just using the seat belt.

We are flying with a 3 and a 5 year old in August and are thinking about it for the 3 year old. The 5 year old is probably big enough for a regular seatbelt, don't you think?

Let me know your opinions if you have ever used this system, or seen them used on flights.

Thanks!

You shouldn't even really need it. Children of those ages can use the regular seatbelts on the plane. I've done it.

This subject was just discussed on this board a few days ago. IMHO I do not think that it is safe to only use a seatbelt on a child younger than 4-5 years old or 40 lbs. The FAA recommends that children fly with an approved restraint, such as a car seat or CARES. See this board for more information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1214327

We rented them and used them on the flights out but coming back, we didn't use them (about the same ages).

Our 2 could not get comfortable and kept sliding down.

You should purchase one of straps (see link). Loop it around the airplane's belt between the 2 shoulder straps. This will keep them from sliding down.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JGJ2U/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2YLYLTN75J8LR

Archived