Holiday Inn Downtown

Just putting my thoughts out there about staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Vancouver. We stayed there a week ago. Hotel is nice, Starbucks across the street is great, but as far as location - not good. Our room was on the front and during the entire night we were awaken by loud music, people hollering loudly outside and partying, and street traffic. I don't know where the partying was at, just assumed it was one block over where there were party looking people hanging out as we walked down that street after getting off a city bus earlier in the evening. One block down was an adult peep show. We were in our room well before dark and did not venture out until the next morning. Would I stay there again- NO and not because of the hotel, but because of the neighborhood.

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay at the Holiday Inn - as I live only two blocks from that hotel I am trying to think what event might have been on to make it noisy - were you there the night the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup - as a hockey crazy city some of the locals would have been celebrating - the Holiday Inn is located one block from our entertainment district - Granville Street with over 2000 bar seats - the area gets noisy on weekends and some of that can spill over onto the surrounding streets - it is also grad season so perhaps more than a few grads were hooting and hollering from the various limos etc - the hotel is also located in a residential area - most of those high rises have parties going on on weekends.

As for the Adult peep show - there are still a couple left on the adult entertainment street Granville and a couple more on Davie but they also close fairly early.

Once again sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay

Dennis

If may add to Ut's thoughts, the underlying issue with the Holiday Inn is that it is now more than 50 years old and was built as a "motor inn" long before we knew things that we knew about sound proofing today. Throw it in the fact that it is on a major one way arterial route of the downtown core and yes it is goiing to be a tad noisy. As for the other matters you have raised, Howe St. is not noted as a party street and what you heard must of been people heading home after some event or just doing the Granville Street Entertainment District scene. I to am sorry about your experience, I am sure that if you are a light sleeper or are not used of urban noise it wasn't pleasant for you.

I was there on Thursday night, June 3. Not sure about the Stanley Cup thing as I am from the South and not a hockey fan (sorry if that upsets some of you), but I am more into football and baseball. As for being a light sleeper, no I am not. I have stayed at hotels beside interstates before and it did not bother me. All I was saying was that I would not stay there again, due to the loud music and hollering we heard all during the night. As for the hotel, no matter how old the hotel may be, it is a very nice hotel. I just wanted to let other visitors know of my experience with the area as others (just like I did before my visit) look for reviews from other visitors before booking a certain hotel. I will say that we met a terrific guy working at Stanley Park who took two strangers under his wings and helped us out so much with the bus line and suggestion of somewhere to eat. I loved my visit to Vancouver and think it is a beautiful and unique city. I would love to visit again. Stanley Park was my favorite other than Canada Place and getting on the ship.

I am glad to hear that you had a good time in our city and I am equally sorry about your experience at the Holiday Inn. I was a part time busboy there back in the mid-60's (working two jobs to support a sports car that I owned) and frankly it is not a place that I recommend on these boards....I hope that you didn't think that we were trying to make light of you experience. Now can we talk a little about your lack of knowledge of the greatest sport of all...hockey, there is a team in Georgia called the Flames.:D

To the OP thanks for your thoughts on the HI. and area.

to PD Flames ? you losin' it ?

Ice Dogs at UGA

Cotton Mouths in the SPHL

& Yellow Jackets at G Tech

flames left didn't they or are you having a flash back ? :p

to PD Flames ? you losin' it ?

flames left didn't they or are you having a flash back ? :p

At exactly 1:40 am I almost sat up in bed over that one...it's "Thrashers". I had hoped that no one would have noticed.:o:o

I noticed as well but thought you might be trying a little teaser so didn't respond - do you happen to remember the name of the arena that the old Flames played out of

Cheers

Dennis

No, it was a genuine brain cramp. As for the Arena, I was thinking Igloo but that Pittsburgh so had cheated and looked it up....Omni and they were sold to Nelson Scallywag for $16m, bet you didn't have that number filed away in the Funk & Wagnall of your brain.:)

Archived