Cruise Excursions

Hi,

First time cruiser on the Dream in July and was wondering does anyone have any advice on taking the official excursions or is it better to do your own thing?

Palma, La Goulette, Naples, Olbia, Toulon, Barcelona, Palma

Thanks

We're doing the same itinery on 6th July. We'd definitely recommend doing Barca on your own. Use the Hop On Hop Off bus. Cheaper, and means you can focus on what you want to see. Very easy to wander through La Ramblas on the way back to the ship.

We're doing the same itinery on 6th July. We'd definitely recommend doing Barca on your own. Use the Hop On Hop Off bus. Cheaper, and means you can focus on what you want to see. Very easy to wander through La Ramblas on the way back to the ship.

Cheers Davebhoy-

Have you been to the other ports I mentioned above?

Been to Barca before and will do the hop on-hop off bus. Might even make my way to the Nou Camp and negotiate a swap deal for Messi and Samaras while Im there

Yeah - good luck with that one :D !

This is the only port I've done (boarded in Palma, but never had time to see any sights) from your list, but have done some digging, and plan to do the "Pompeii & Vesuvius" ships excursion from Naples, and do our own thing in Toulon / Olbia.

Yeah - good luck with that one :D !

This is the only port I've done (boarded in Palma, but never had time to see any sights) from your list, but have done some digging, and plan to do the "Pompeii & Vesuvius" ships excursion from Naples, and do our own thing in Toulon / Olbia.

Thanks. I too will go for the Pompeii and Vesuvius excursions as this seems the best one available.

This is a first time cruise for me and im wondering is there many 'unofficial' ie cheaper tours available upon disembarkation on most cruise destinations

Hi Lisbon

It really depends upon how familiar you are with the places you are visiting.Yes it can be expensive using ship excursions,but what's the use visiting somewhere you have little knowledge of.However,if you're the type to research before you go and are confident enough when there,

then why not go it alone. :)

Hi, can you tell us more about the Hop On, Hop Off bus. Can we catch this near the port ? and do you just buy a day ticket for unlimited stops? Do they give out maps to show stops? Sorry for all the Q's we have been to Barcelona once before but only for a couple of hours and only saw the Las Ramblas area. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Lisbon67

We are doing this trip in a weeks time and plan just to book the trip for Pompeii and Vesuveus and do our own thing at other places, so I can let you know how we get on and if we hear anything about the other trips.

6 sleeps to go......:D

Look forward to hearing what you have to say :)

For the others that have been at the ports I mentioned above can you advise what you have done if you didnt take the official excursions? Is there certain ports where there will be things to do in the local environs of the ship or perhaps a short taxi ride away? I assume the taxis should be plentiful when the ship docks.

Need to learn the italian/french/spanish for 'busy tonight mate'? :o

We did the half-day Thomson trip to Cassis from Toulon and thought it was a great place to visit. I recommended it to one or two others on this forum who also enjoyed it very much. It's an interesting ride there with a stop at the highest cliffs on mainland Europe (I think that's the claim to fame anyway) and the coach stops above the town (streets too narrow for it to negotiate) and take the little tourist train down to the harbour. It's picture-postcard with a very French cafe culture feel and a really pleasant place to spend a couple of hours.

lisbon lion,

you dock at toulon on a sunday nothing much going on,we went on a trip taking in a few fishing villages until 13.00 then came back for lunch and had a few hrs sunbathing up top.

olbia is a saturday so much more going on so you can do your own thing.

we took in peurto cervo and bahia sardinia again a mornings trip oh how the other half live:( both trips cost around 30quid for 4-5hrs.

barca ive been 3times before on my own so this time we took the tour of the highest views brilliant going from one side of barca to the olympic side stunning views.

as for swapping samaras there was roadworkers on one of the hills we went up, they were having a kick about and most of them had more football skills than him:D.

and im a tim;)

lisbon lion,

you dock at toulon on a sunday nothing much going on,we went on a trip taking in a few fishing villages until 13.00 then came back for lunch and had a few hrs sunbathing up top.

olbia is a saturday so much more going on so you can do your own thing.

we took in peurto cervo and bahia sardinia again a mornings trip oh how the other half live:( both trips cost around 30quid for 4-5hrs.

barca ive been 3times before on my own so this time we took the tour of the highest views brilliant going from one side of barca to the olympic side stunning views.

as for swapping samaras there was roadworkers on one of the hills we went up, they were having a kick about and most of them had more football skills than him:D.

and im a tim;)

So true :D

Thanks

We did the half-day Thomson trip to Cassis from Toulon and thought it was a great place to visit. I recommended it to one or two others on this forum who also enjoyed it very much. It's an interesting ride there with a stop at the highest cliffs on mainland Europe (I think that's the claim to fame anyway) and the coach stops above the town (streets too narrow for it to negotiate) and take the little tourist train down to the harbour. It's picture-postcard with a very French cafe culture feel and a really pleasant place to spend a couple of hours.

My ticket booklet does not give any detail about the Cassis trip. Would it be suitable for a 81 year old? I am thinking of something like Thomsons 'easy' category.

I can highly recommend the Cassis trip Kruzseeka mentioned. It was on their recommendation that we did it and we throughly enjoyed it. I think it would be suitable for an elderly person as when you get off the train at the harbour you can do as much or as little as you want. It's very picturesque so you could just sit and have a drink and people watch.

We have visited both Pompeii and Herkulanum (spelling!!!!) and thought Herkulanum was better as it was smaller and you got more of a feel for how things really were.

Off on the Island Escape tomorrow morning - Yippee!!!!!

Janet

I can highly recommend the Cassis trip Kruzseeka mentioned. It was on their recommendation that we did it and we throughly enjoyed it. I think it would be suitable for an elderly person as when you get off the train at the harbour you can do as much or as little as you want. It's very picturesque so you could just sit and have a drink and people watch.

We have visited both Pompeii and Herkulanum (spelling!!!!) and thought Herkulanum was better as it was smaller and you got more of a feel for how things really were.

Janet

Thanks, what still worries me about Cassis is actually getting to the harbour to catch the little tourist train!. I understand the coach does not drop you there and according to the train website there is only one boarding point.

If I remember rightly you get off the coach where you pick up the little train. I don't remember having to walk very far at all. The train then picks you up at the harbour and takes you back to the coach.

Maybe Kruzseeka can remember if it's any different.

Janet

Janet

Yes, it's ideal for those not wanting too much walking although there is a relatively short way to walk downhill (then up-hill going back!) to the harbour from where the little noddy train drops you off. As Janet says though - perfect to people watch - flat walking around the harbour and loads of cafes.

Have a wonderful time Janet and 'Bon Voyage'! :D

My ticket booklet does not give any detail about the Cassis trip. Would it be suitable for a 81 year old? I am thinking of something like Thomsons 'easy' category.

I'm just back from the Dream and my 76 year old mother can't walk far. We used the courtesy bus in Olbia (straight off the ship, but return journey requires a bit more walking) and had a pleasant stroll through part of the town; plenty of seats in the square for a rest, and a stroll back for the bus, which ran frequently. In Toulon we used the tourist train: the beach area looked very nice and we could have got off there, or along the front where yacht trips were available. In both areas you could have a pleasant walk and then get back on the train - we just stayed on and went round twice! The longest walk from the ship was in Barcelona, we then caught the bus to the Columbus statue got tickets for the HOHO at the info point there and used both red and blue routes. I understand the concerns you may have as I worried before we went, so please ask if I can help you and your mother with any further info.

Just having a look at the pricing for the official excursions on here

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/itineraries/highlights-of-the-mediterranean-itinerary.html

What is with the two seperate prices? Is one a concessionary price?

E.G

£19.00/£10.00 (4hrs)

£21.00/£13.00 (4hrs)

Child's price - wish it was a concession - we'd make good use of it! ;)

Archived