RCCL or NCL?

Chesapeake1

I am considering booking a balcony on the Epic in September. We have cruised 2 times on Royal's Adventurer of the Seas and were very happy with everything. I also cruised NCL about 16 years ago, forget the name of the ship.

My question, Has anyone cruised both lines recently? and if so how do they compare? I realize the Epic has not sailed yet.

Any thoughts?

:confused:

We love them both. We have experienced 8 cruises on 4 different lines. They are more alike than different. We Love RCCL mainly because it was our first. The service is more consistent and so is the food. BUT, NCL has many advantages. The freestyle feeling is very relaxing. On the Jewel in November of '08 I remember telling the DW that I was the most relaxed of any cruise. We will probably be on the Star in Sept and Oct of '11 for 15 days; if that says anything? If you will allow me an overused phrase, but a true one... "a vacation is what you make of it". On NCL, you have more opportunity to make it what you wish.

I find that the freestyle dining can be a bit of a pain in the butt to someone used to Royal Caribbean. You have so many choices that it takes some research to find out whats right for you. Some restaurants are free-some cost $10 -some cost $15 some cost more. Some you need a reservation others you dont. Some look at this as a plus-not me.

I also like Royals ship designs better.

But truthfully there is more similarities than differences.

I'll respond. We just came off the Oasis of the Seas last week. Booked this because it is the world's largest etc. Didn't care about the itinerary as we had been there and done that multiple times.

We are Diamond members of Crown and Anchor. We are also booked on the Epic for this October, again booking the ship as the destination. While we enjoyed the Oasis greatly, I don't know if I would seek it out again.

I cannot stand RCCL's policy of not bringing wine on board, though you can on Celebrity, their sister line (two bottles). I have no problem paying NCL's $15 corkage fee for wine I may bring on, as many bottles as I may like.

There were numerous other little things that bothered us with RCCL (last time we had sailed on them was 18 months ago) compared with NCL. We have really come to enjoy Freestyle cruising with NCL. And to have a suite with NCL is fabulous. We have been on five NCL cruises.

I also compared the Oasis cost compared to the Epic for October and the cost difference was significant. Some people swear by RCCL, or any one line in particular. We like to switch it up.

Both are pretty similar...

I think the food is much better on RC and the ship is prettier. I like the Royal Promenade. Just all the small extra touches too.

I like the free-style cruising on NCL...eat in the MDR whenever. However, I found the MDR service to be extremely SLOW on our recent NCL cruise (Jade). Terrible Spa, won't ever use it again.

Archived