Cabin attendants still working as teams?

I was wondering of anyone who has just sailed or is planning to sail could let me know if the cabin attendants are still working as teams or if they've gone back to one cabin attendant. Last year they changed to teams where two people cover 30 or so cabins, where it used to be one cabin attendant would cover 15. I'm wondering if they've now gone back to one attendant for about 15 cabins. They were still working in teams a month ago.

I always bring gifts for my cabin attendant and have felt bad when I had gifts for only one person and had a team of attendants. I don't want to buy for two when I will only have one.

Any input from recent cruisers in appreciated or if you're about to cruise, let me know when you get back. THANKS!

We had two in October on the Serenade. I have to say our cabin was always cleaned immediately after we left for breakfast. They were a great team. Only one of them introduced herself, the other one was visible a few times, but he was referred to by name by Michelle, but he did not introduce himself.

They were using the team concept on both our Nov. and Dec. cruise. I don't care for it as we almost never see or speak with our cabin steward. After two cruises with this system in place I wrote to RCI to tell them that I prefer the old system that allowed for interatcion and personal service we recieved prior to the change.

We were told it was going to 2 for 40 cabins (except for suites). On Jewel (Nov) we had a team and only met one of them and hardly ever saw her. Never saw the second one. The following week on Mariner we had a team and only met one of them but he was always around. I too (unfortunately) think they will continue with them team concept. They have to cut costs just like everyone else.

Just off the Enchantment last week and had a card in our room with two people on it. Sachin and Marvin. We only saw Sachin and he was our main steward for the week. Never even met a Marvin and gave the tip to Sachin. So although they said a team was there we never met the other.

Thanks for the input! I'm interested in others opinions of the team vs individual concept. I like the individual personally. When I need something I know where the attendant could be within a certain area. If they're working as a team my attendant could be anywhere within a whole long hallway! I seldom can find them if I need them. I end up leaving a note on a cart.

My cabin has always been cleaned and well attended but I enjoy the interaction as well. We don't get that as much with the team concept.

How does tipping work with the team setup. Do you have to DOUBLE it (I sure hope not)?

Sachin said he was the one getting our tip and we left him extra and I wanted to make sure it went to him. So no, you don't tip double - at least I didn't.

It's been a long time since I've cruised. They did not have the team concept back then. I suspect that both the cruise line and the stewards are both gaining with this concept- fewer employees for the Line, an extra stateroom or two for tips for the stewards. I've been reading where people are disappointed if they don't see their steward more often; I can remember the Captain of the Sovereign at his reception (years ago) saying if you see your steward on the first day and the last day with nothing in between and everything was to your satisfaction then the steward has done the job perfectly (exception would be a problem or special request). Has this also changed?

no, you don't double tip. They may divide all tips from all the cabins they are assigned though, I'm not sure. I'll tell you one thing, if I were sharing responsibility of 30-40 cabins and having to help someone who didn't carry their load, I would expect to be able to share in their tips. So, I think that's how they do it.

just got back of the Vision and it is still teams which I feel will remain so. The tip envelope does actually have the word " team " on it. The stewards must really have to trust each other now to share their rewards. We have left our envelopes in the cabin when the steward hasn't been around. Whose to say he/she isn't telling porkie pies to the other member of the team as to whether or not a tip has been left !!!!

Captain of the Sovereign at his reception (years ago) saying if you see your steward on the first day and the last day with nothing in between and everything was to your satisfaction then the steward has done the job perfectly

Boy do I disagree with what the captain said years ago then. The cabin stewards job, IMO, is to take care of the guest, not be a stealth steward. On our first cruise, our cabin steward knew our names from day one and greated us by name anytime he saw us in the hallway. I was impressed with the fact he could recall our names. I was also impressed that he cared enough to ask if there was anything else he could do for us. Leaving notes just doesn't have the personal touch we were provided on our first two cruises.

I don't see the team concept changing though. I might miss the personal touch that once existed but the cabins still remain clean, the beds made efficeintly, turn down service is the same, and the ice bucket and soda's remain full.

No the # of assitant waiters needs to change. On our last two cruises, they had so many guests to care for that our beverages kept going dry for long periods of time without refills. This, IMO, is an unforgivable lapse in service. It wasn't that we had lazy assit. waiters either. I looked around and the assit. waiters were really hussling to try to keep up. There was just to many guests for each one to handle between serving rolls, special requests and beverages. IMO this problem MUST be addressed and corrected.

Boy do I disagree with what the captain said years ago then. The cabin stewards job, IMO, is to take care of the guest, not be a stealth steward. On our first cruise, our cabin steward knew our names from day one and greated us by name anytime he saw us in the hallway. I was impressed with the fact he could recall our names. I was also impressed that he cared enough to ask if there was anything else he could do for us. Leaving notes just doesn't have the personal touch we were provided on our first two cruises.

I don't see the team concept changing though. I might miss the personal touch that once existed but the cabins still remain clean, the beds made efficeintly, turn down service is the same, and the ice bucket and soda's remain full.

No the # of assitant waiters needs to change. On our last two cruises, they had so many guests to care for that our beverages kept going dry for long periods of time without refills. This, IMO, is an unforgivable lapse in service. It wasn't that we had lazy assit. waiters either. I looked around and the assit. waiters were really hussling to try to keep up. There was just to many guests for each one to handle between serving rolls, special requests and beverages. IMO this problem MUST be addressed and corrected.

I've heard the statement by cruise officials in the past as well. I never took it as saying they shouldn't do what you need, only that most people don't need more than they are supposed to do. And that if they're in and out without affecting you other ways and take care of your needs WITHOUT having to interrupt you, that means they've made good choices and done their job well. I guess some people need more hand holding than others.

On the Mariner in December, we never met our steward or team. Come first formal night and there was no pressed shirt returned in time, we didn't know who to call, what to do....if it had not been for a previous steward we knew interceding for us we would have been really aggravated. I don't like the team concept, seems very lax, all the interaction gone, no personal touches.

In fact one night there was NO ice delivered to our room, so I called room service at 1am and asked for ice, just ice, made a point, and we had it within 10 minutes in a HUGE ice bucket. We will probably do that this next cruise first night and keep the bucket and tell our steward to keep this filled instead. By time we got back to our room in the evening all the ice in the bucket had melted and no one in sight.

When our steward knew we were very aggravated, (we had a JS aft) she tried to smooth over but it left a sour taste for the team concept. I like the handshake, greeting, daily conversation,and even kidding back and forth. When this happend we left big tips because we felt we KNEW the folks. This team concept is to business like, hotel type, and I don't care for it.

I disagree, a concierge takes care of the guests, a steward takes care of the guests' staterooms.

If only I could book afford to book a suite to get the conceirge. ;)

IMO, taking care of my stateroom IS taking care of me. I have yet to see the conceirge keep my ice bucket full or restock the minibar. IMO, in keeping my cabin stocked, clean and beds made or turned down the cabin steward is taking better care of me than almost anyone esle on the ship. He was my most direct contact with what was going on with the ship and one I never had to look far to find. Now I barely ever see them. :(

I guess some people need more hand holding than others.

Hand holding? Who said anything about hand holding? I just like the personal interaction with the cabin stewards.

It's nice to have people in the service industry say good morning and call you by your name when you see them. It gives the cruise a more personal touch and in our case makes us feel like our business is appreciated just a little more by the cruise line. I don't really thing that would qualify as hand holding, just a nice touch.

I do not mind the team concept. On our last cruise we saw either of our 2 constantly in our hallway. If we had needed anything it would have been easy to ask. They both worked SO hard. Our steward said he likes teams just as long as he is paired with someone who has the same work ethic. He gave me the impression that some MAY work harder than others. He then said but I love working with Simon (our other) and left it at that.

dougp26364, I am sorry, I did not actually write what I was trying to. To tired, to busy. I to, wish I could afford concierge level:) . I understand what you are saying about interaction with the stewards- I too enjoy meeting and exchanging pleasantries with them. Unfortunately the only sevice they are expected to provide is to take care of your stateroom and make sure your needs in this area are met. With the exception of the ice bucket their job is identical to housekeeping at 5* AI resorts. Their ultimate boss onboard is an officer- his or her title is Hotel Mgr. Gratuities are where the big difference is. A tradition of cruising is gratuities, not tips although I used the word tip wrongly in my above post. There is a difference. A gratuity is a form of payment for a service rendered and a tip if offered, is something above the gratuity. The word tip has replaced gratuity in cruising and therefore some people look at the basic gratuity as discretionary when the reality is the opposite. The cruise lines pay their stewards, waiters and asst. waiters dirt wages with the expectation of gratuities from the passengers. Given the explosion of new cruisers in the last ten years and the use of the word tip rather than gratuity, I suspect the stewards put themselves in front of the passengers more in the last ten years than they would have under "normal" conditions. Too many of them are getting stiffed by passengers. I suspect someday all cruise lines will charge the gratuity amount upfront or on your seapass. If you have a complaint about your stateroom it will be dealt with by the Hotel mgt. The credit you recieve (if any) will have nothing to do with the gratuity payment. Too brief before- too long winded now, Sorry;) .

Archived