Help me decide! Western VS Eastern!

I'm looking to surprise my mom and buy us a cruise, it would be her first. I've mentioned it to her in the past and she would be more than happy with an inside cabin, she is really a no frills person... But I would rather do a balcony room since this is her first. I can NOT decide on an itinerary! Ship - doesn't matter TOO much, I'm more so trying to find the perfect itinerary :)

A little background info on us:

I am 27 and she is 51.

I'm looking at next Oct-Dec 2011.

She likes more cultural activies and quiet beach days.

I like good beaches, picturesque places, cheap shopping.

I was leaning towards Western because of the cultural activities, but I didn't gather the beaches were great - I gather the beaches are better in the eastern regions.

Any help, pointers and ideas are appreciated! :D

I would suggest you check out the Ports of Call forum and get some info on the different ports. Personally, I prefer the Western. I always found the seas calmer and the weather better. If you like beach days, choose an itinerary that goes to Labadee, RCCL's private island. Just my two cents worth!

I wanted to leave from Florida - that's why I didn't include Southern. She mentioned the ruins - like in Belize... I'm just apprehensive about Western because I want nice beaches and people serving us drinks while we lounge in beach chairs... ha ha

Are those places in the Western? :)

As mentioned check out the Ports of Call for the places both Eastern and Western go to. This will give you a suggestion of what there is to do in each port.

There are good beaches on both - you just have to search.

Cozumel has Paradise beach which is nice and they pamper you just and you suggested.

The private beaches are great also -

As you can see from my signature I have done all - just ask any specific questions you have.

I love a balcony - sitting at night and watching the stars - having a quiet place to relax can not be beat -

Enjoy your planning

On the Western itinerary, Cozumel has a place called Nachi Cocum. You will have your own chairs under a thatached roof umbrella and your own waiter for the day. You will get an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert. They have a pool and a hot tub. It costs $49.99 per person. It can be a quiet relaxing day depending on the crowd that's there. They have an open air massage center and getting a massage there is wonderful...you're getting your massage, can feel the breeze and hear the ocean...man, wish I was there now. Cozumel also has Paradise Beach which is relaxing.

I have not taken any excursions in either Belize or Cozumel that included the ruins as we prefer water activities.

On the Eastern route you've got St. Thomas and St. Maarten both of which will have beaches you can go to, to relax.

I wanted to leave from Florida - that's why I didn't include Southern. She mentioned the ruins - like in Belize... I'm just apprehensive about Western because I want nice beaches and people serving us drinks while we lounge in beach chairs... ha ha

Are those places in the Western? :)

YES, YES, and YES.......no matter which part of the Caribbean you will find these.

I enjoy both Western and Eastern (I agree Southern is first if you can swing it)..

but I have to lean to Western..calmer waters, weather more consistently good...and I really love the beaches, snorkeling and scuba on Cozumel...world class.

Mitch

You need to do a weight system and then go on both a Eastern and Western cruise. Just have to pick which one first.

For us:

snorkeling/scuba : Western

beaches-laying out: Eastern

cultural : Western - Mexican ruins

mountain top views/vistas: Eastern

shopping: Eastern unless you want silver

just relaxing on ship: Either.

private islands: Western on RCL-Labadee - lots of activities available

Eastern on HAL-Half Moon Cay (my favorite private island)-beer hut in shade on a bluff overlooking one of prettiest beaches we have ever seen

Which ever itinerary you choose, have a GREAT cruise! :)

I'm leaning towards Western now - the Nachi Cocum thread - though it is 38 pages, was a good read - my only concerns is that the more recent posts were not a great as the first ones.

I think, since I want to leave from Florida (probably drive to the port from TN), that Southern is not an option. Carnival DOES offer Southern from Ft. Lauderdale - but I was wanting to keep the balcony in the $500 range, not $779+. I know, I'm cheap. Ha ha

Thank you everyone!

We prefer Western to Eastern (although Eastern is nice too!) because there is more to see and do. There are lovely beaches on the Western Itinerary too. Labadee is gorgeous, 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman is very nice, Paradise Beach in Cozumel, etc.

Definitely western. We could not even get in the water at St. Thomas or St. Martin because of the rough waters. Our favorite cruise so far has been Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. If we could add Coco Cay (even tho it's on the eastern side) it would be a perfect cruise.

Either one will be great! I took my then 25 year old daughter on her first cruise ( Eastern) after she graduated college. It was the first time the two of us spent any real time together alone as adults, without competing family /friends. One of the best things I have ever done. We both still talk about it 10 years later. Not certain how adventurous she is, but encourage her to try things she has never done before. Remind her that 51 is just starting out on the best half of your life! Enjoy !

Carolyn

You question is like asking is Pepsi or Coke better.

LOL!!! That is so true...ask 100 people and you'll 50 votes for Eastern and 50 for Western. Someone had a great idea...BOTH...book a B2B if feasible. One week you'll go eastern and the next week, western.:D

Archived