What to wear to dinner??

Travel_Maven

After sailing Celebrity in May, I was very surprised at the number of guys who wore baseball caps 24/7 on the Coral Princess last month, including in the formal dining room. Some people should stick to ferries. I don't have a tux but last year bought 2 new suits, one a dark one specifically for formal nights on the ships (DW talked me out of a tux! :( ).

LOL! I have a few friends who refuse to give up their ball caps even at nice events. I am sure that at least one of them would find a ball cap to match a tux if he had to wear one. Of course, he is thinning out quite a bit on top. Have tried to convince him to shave his head and leave off the ball cap - that it's the new "sexy" for men, but he just doesn't believe me...

We to just returned from Alaska. We were on the Island. We packed way to much (casual). I wore black pants for dressy, with a dressy top, and black pants for the other nights with a not so dressy top, but still nice. Having to pack our bags to put out the last night, I was wishing I could stay in my jeans and go to the dining room, (when we got there, there were a lot of people in jeans) but I changed into my dressy casual, put my cruise card in my pocket. When we finished eating, ran back to our room to pack the dressy casual into our suitcases to put outside our door. About an hour later I'm down at the desk getting a new cruise card so I could get off the ship the next morning. Pack light, you can always wash. Those new purell 3 in 1 sheets don't take any room in your luggage and make your clothes smell nice.

After sailing Celebrity in May, I was very surprised at the number of guys who wore baseball caps 24/7 on the Coral Princess last month, including in the formal dining room. Some people should stick to ferries. I don't have a tux but last year bought 2 new suits, one a dark one specifically for formal nights on the ships (DW talked me out of a tux! :( ).

One of the baseball cap wearing men was assigned to a table with us in anytime dining on the last night. He also refused a glass for his beer can, and proudly wore his cruise card on a lanyard over his windbreaker. I felt like he was trying a tad too hard to be "himself" and wound up looking foolish.

Before anyone gets up in arms, I have no problem with lanyards, drinking out of beer cans and windbreakers - just not in the dining room.

There were many, many people wearing jeans, but didn't look out of place as most were well kept and not tattered.

We cruised on Diamond Princess last summer, and plan to do the same ship again this Sept. My husband wore a dark suit on formal night, with a tie. I wore a cocktail dress. For dinners, he wore slacks and polos, and I wore nice slacks and blouse. We felt comfortable, but I plan to take slightly more dressy clothes this trip. There were some tuxes and formals, but not the majority.

My brother cruised Sapphire Princess, did not take a sport jacket and felt very out of place with a simple shirt and tie. As bulky as a jacket is, it is worth bringing.

• 2 weeks later...

I got back on the 17th after sailing on the Golden Princess out of Seattle. I took one nice dress (consider something that will travel well) and black heals which I wore both formal nights. I took a pair of black pants and several nice tops to match for the smart casual nights. The dining rooms were cool so a sweater was also needed. I wouldn't have been comfortable in jeans but perhaps someone else could pull it off! The last night was casual as we had to put out our luggage around dinner time.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived