Biodegradable sunscreen on Liberty?

I have searched everywhere for biodegradable sunscreen here in Northern Maine.... hahaha.. that means WalMart, KMArt and Rite Aid.

I know I HAVE to have some for snorkeling in the reefs and don't want to go without or sneak regular sunscreen to the beach.

We won't have time to check out any stores in Miami before we board the Liberty, so...

my only question is.....

Can I buy Biodegradable sunscreen on the ship and how much was it? or could I get some in port, like Grand Cayman?

Thanks! Liberty this weekend!!!!!!

Can I buy Biodegradable sunscreen on the ship and how much was it? or could I get some in port, like Grand Cayman?

From what I was able to research, you CAN buy it in port. I did a ton of research and still haven't made a decision. I can't use many of the biodegradables because of allergic reactions. Also, the only thing above SPF25 is the translucent stuff, which makes you look somewhat like you were rolled in flour. Last but not least there is some debate about the actual interaction of sunscreen and reefs.

Short answer: Yes most of the places down there sell it at the resorts/excursion locations. Its expensive. But prolly cheaper than buying it now from amazon and having it overnighted to get to you in time.

The one thing I will note: There are a LOT of spf30 sunscreens that are biodgradable/eco friendly... You might look specifically for zinc based products at specialty drugstores or the big W.

Thanks! Liberty this weekend!!!!!!

Woo hoo! :)

Because I was looking in an actual store.. not online...because I cruise in 5 days.

If I order online, I'd have to pay for overnight shipping because I live practically in canada and it won't get here in time.

I know how to look online, that wan't my question. Thanks for trying to make me feel stupid though!

Now, does anyone know if I can buy it on the ship?

Thank you everyone!

I think I'm just gonna wing it and pick it up in Grand Cayman. If I ordered it online....I'd pay 3 times the actual cost to have it shipped.

My DH already has one that's PABA free so hopefully that will work if we can't find a biodegradable one.

We are so excited!!! I already have vacation brain at work!

Thank you everyone!

I think I'm just gonna wing it and pick it up in Grand Cayman. If I ordered it online....I'd pay 3 times the actual cost to have it shipped.

My DH already has one that's PABA free so hopefully that will work if we can't find a biodegradable one.

We are so excited!!! I already have vacation brain at work!

Walmart didn't have Burts Bees? I would think they'd have that in Maine of all places! (I LOVE Maine!)

I would definitely just get it in GC. There are a ton of stores at the port. GC is VERY expensive, but it's not like you'll never use it again. Also, I would imagine that the place where you need to wear it would sell it. What excursion are you doing? GC is beautiful! Have a great time! Liberty is a great ship--but I don't know if you'll be able to find the sunscreen you want in the gift shop on her!

Rite Aid actually did have Burts Bee's ($14.99) but it didn't say biodegradable so i wasn't positive about getting it. Everything else I've found was only PABA free.

We are doing Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, Island Tour and Turtle farm in GC, and Isla Pasion in Cozumel. I really wanted to do the stingrays, but ds is only 5 and I thought he'd freak!

This will be cruise #2 on Liberty and we'll be on Freedom in December. I never saw anything about biodegradable sunscreen until we booked Isla Pasion this past weekend and it said we needed that type to use while we were there. Now I'm all educated and will make sure I use it everywhere in the Caribbean.

Maine is great as long as you love the 4 seasons and doen't mind snow from October until April.

Rite Aid actually did have Burts Bee's ($14.99) but it didn't say biodegradable so i wasn't positive about getting it. Everything else I've found was only PABA free.

We are doing Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, Island Tour and Turtle farm in GC, and Isla Pasion in Cozumel. I really wanted to do the stingrays, but ds is only 5 and I thought he'd freak!

This will be cruise #2 on Liberty and we'll be on Freedom in December. I never saw anything about biodegradable sunscreen until we booked Isla Pasion this past weekend and it said we needed that type to use while we were there. Now I'm all educated and will make sure I use it everywhere in the Caribbean.

Maine is great as long as you love the 4 seasons and doen't mind snow from October until April.

Ok, now I'm totally intrigued! I have found different things about Burt's Bees now that I look at it (I had thought we were going to need this in Cozumel, but we did something else), and I though Burt's Bees fit the bill. Maybe it was Kiss My Face? I'm so concerned about sunscreen b/c of family history of skin cancer, but I don't know about this one. :confused: But that wasn't your question--sorry!

Sounds like a great cruise you have planned. Maine and WI aren't that much different, I don't think. Too much snow! ;)

Hahahaha!! No need to worry... I'm usually not as snippy as i was this morning. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed :o

Burt's Bee's fits the bill except it doesn't have biodegradable on the label. It's also not waterproof, so it must have to be reapplied often.

When I find a bottle somewhere, someday....I'll let everyone know where it can be found. I'm gonna try the Walgreens across from my hotel in Miami. Maybe I'll luck out there.

I'm surprised Royal has never said anything about it being used in Labadee. Guess they don't want to upset the crowds. Hmmmm.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's an e-mail I got from Burt's Bees regarding their sunscreen:

Although our products are made with natural ingredients, we cannot claim that they are biodegradable because we have not conducted all of the required testing to prove it.

Our only certified biodegradable product is the Outdoor All in One Wash which has the "leave no trace" seal.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Burt's Bees and please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

Archived