Silver Wind 3/12-4/9 2011

dougburns

We will be on the 2nd leg of the trip from Tenerife to Lisbon. Its our 30th Anniversary cruise and 1st time on SS. We are from Florida and might stay a day or 2 extra in Lisbon. We are looking forward to this cruise as we have always wanted to see Casablanca after watching the movie approximately 47 times. I need to get the Sydney Greenstreet Fez!! We are also interested in Private tour guides and sharing that experience with other travelers. So if you have anything in mind, we are 'open".

The "Lovely Miss Lynn" and I will have the ship ready for you. Regarding tours, we normally do the ship's tours, especially in ports in Africa, other than Capetown. We're in 715.

We are in 718. Lauren and I(Steve) Look forward to meeting you and Miss Lynn.. One thing though, please save some of the single malt scotch for me

:D:D.

Best

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, we will be on the Silver Wind from Cape Town to Las Palmas. Don't want to disappoint SFL, but we were in Casablanca from the Cloud in April this year and it is nothing like the romantic image which the movie gives. Big, industrial city. We took the ship's tour to Rabat - very nice and a real insight into Moroccan life. Loved the Cloud, so can't wait to try the Silver Wind

Agreed, SFL, and depending on your tour guide, several "Rick's Bars" may be pointed out to you in different locations !! I'd take a ship's tour. The Blue Mosque is definitely worth seeing, and so is Rabat. I wouldn't advise just going off the ship and wandering - the dock is a long way from town. It's hot and sticky and the vendors are very persistent. Anyone been to any of the African ports on our cruise before?

We've been to Capetown several times, since we have close friends there. We've also been to Walvis Bay and done the dinner in the desert. It's a long bus ride to get there, but it's a nice evening. You won't get back to the ship until late.

Agreed, SFL, and depending on your tour guide, several "Rick's Bars" may be pointed out to you in different locations !! I'd take a ship's tour. The Blue Mosque is definitely worth seeing, and so is Rabat. I wouldn't advise just going off the ship and wandering - the dock is a long way from town. It's hot and sticky and the vendors are very persistent. Anyone been to any of the African ports on our cruise before?

Thanks for the great advice

The dinner in the desert excursion is fabulous...even the drive to get there is interesting. Beautiful vistas,lovely buffet dinner,a climb up a huge sand dune(if you want..we enjoyed watching more energetic types) happy native music,and everyone dancing around a fire pit. NO SNAKES!! This is one of our favorite cruising memories.Hope you have a great time.

If you haven't been to Capetown(the western cape area as a whole) you're in for a treat. It's the best kept secret in the world. If you can swing it you should plan to spend at least 3-4 days there pre-cruise. Lots to do and see.

The dinner in the desert excursion is fabulous...even the drive to get there is interesting. Beautiful vistas,lovely buffet dinner,a climb up a huge sand dune(if you want..we enjoyed watching more energetic types) happy native music,and everyone dancing around a fire pit. NO SNAKES!! This is one of our favorite cruising memories.Hope you have a great time.

Enthusiastic second to above review -- a never to be forgotten experience -- don't miss it if you have the opportunity to do it.

Dusababy

Yes, we're flying in on the Wednesday and sailing on the Saturday, so will do our best to see as much of the area as we can. Any ideas for our other ports? Sao Tome/Principe/Dakar/Cape Verde ?? Thanks

No input on the ports mentioned. They're all new to us. For Capetown you might want to rent a car and do the touring yourself. One day for the wine country around Franschoek and Boschendal; one day to do Robin Island,Table Mountain and Camps Bay; and one day to do Boulder Beach(Cape penguins) and the Cape of Good Hope. Lots of great restaurants all around the area, especially in the Constantia area.

You don't need any for the Western Cape area or Namibia. The only one I can think of being a possibility for the rest of the ports is Yellow Fever. We had ours in 2006 for Brazil and it's good for 10 years. You can always check the State Dept website if you're in the U.S.

My husband will be just delighted to hear that! Are you following Terry in Ohio's wonderful trip on the Silver cloud from Copenhagen? A pleasure to read and see his wonderful photos. Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Hi dougburns, Steve, Lauren, patnlcc--

Glad to see a nice little group of CC'ers will be aboard the Wind.

I'll board March 30 for the Las Palmas - Lisbon portion. Cabin 433.

I was on the Silver Wind this past February, round trip Cape Town. On debarkation day, Silversea offered a day tour to Stellenbosch (wine country) for people with late-departing flights. Even though I was spending another night in Cape Town, I (and my luggage) went on the tour and got dropped off at the airport with everyone else, then I caught a cab to my hotel--that day trip was fun--Boschendal winery.

Am hoping in Lisbon there might be a day-of-disembarkation tour to Sintra; but am spending two nights there so I can always arrange through my hotel.

In Cape Town I also took a township tour. Not for everyone, but it was a highlight of my trip--I found it fascinating, sad, educational, inspirational, etc.

Bought my plane ticket last week. Two nights Paris en route, two nights Las Palmas pre-cruise.

Fred

Archived