Snorkeling in St. Thomas or Grand Turk?

carlp22

One of my favorite places is to go to St. John from St. Thomas and go snorkeling there.

I’m trying to decide if we should go snorkeling in St. Thomas or Grand Turk. Can anyone make recommendations?

Thanks

I’m trying to decide if we should go snorkeling in St. Thomas or Grand Turk. Can anyone make recommendations?

Thanks

I don't have personal experience, but will be going on Castaway Girl in St. Thomas. Here is a review with photos (assuming I can copy the right link)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24562574&highlight=castaway+girl#post24562574

Thanks

I snorkeled in Grand Turk in 2008 and WASN'T impressed. Granted, that was after a major hurricane had hit the island so I'm not sure how much that affected the snorkeling. It was the first/and probably only time my sister ever snorkeled and I hated that that was her only experience. Not sure how it would be now. However, when our snorkeling excursion was cut short by a medical emergency, we had a BLAST at Margaritaville!:D

In St Thomas port we have always done the excursion to St. John and that is great. but must factor in the time to get to St John unless you do the catamaran that leaves from St Thomas and is about 6 hours. Snorkeling for several hours, lunch and the ride over and back that is picturesq.

In Grand Turk we went to two sites and they were both wonderful. No frills. One was deeper ocean and the other was less than 10 feet. Takes about 40 people in large barge type vessel. This excursion is later in the day as Grabd Turk is 1-7PM time I think. For the price they are both well worth the cost and both have great snorkel sites.

depends on how long you want to be on the excursion. St John's is ~ $129 P/P and Grand Turk around $60

We've snorkeled in St. Thomas, St. John and Grand Turk. In my opinion you can't beat Trunk Bay on St. John. I would say Coki Beach on St. Thomas offers very good snorkeling as well as Honeymoon Beach on St. John.

Snorkeling on Grand Turk for us was just okay. It just doesn't approach the sites I've mentioned above.

Lew

One of my favorite places is to go to St. John from St. Thomas and go snorkeling there.

A couple of follow up questions - how would you suggest getting to St. Johns and did you go off a beach or a boat?

Thanks,

Carl

Wife and I went on a catamaran tour in St. Thomas with the turtles......

Turtles are third next to the dolphins and the sea lions for awesome ocean experiences.....you get to snorkel with the turtles and then a it becomes a booze cruise on the way back to the port......I say, DO IT!!!

A couple of follow up questions - how would you suggest getting to St. Johns and did you go off a beach or a boat?

Thanks,

Carl

This is a difficult question to answer. The most cost effective way to get to St. Johns is to take the water taxi from either Red Hook or Charlotte Amile. The problem is that now Princess docks in Crown Bay which makes it more difficult to use the Charlotte Amile water taxi and a longer ride to Red Hook. We are there in July from 7-4 and because of this are opting for a St. Thomas beach instead. We have though, already been to Trunk Bay, on a couple of occasions. I calculated out that IF everything fell into place and you got off the ship at 7:00 AM at best you will get 4 hours at Trunk Bay and it will cost around $50 pp with the cabs, water taxis, and fee to get on to the beach. An excursion may be an option.

Archived