Med Cruise suitable for 3 yr old?

mrsg26

Sorry i posted another thread on Carnival but realise it would prob best be on this board. We want to cruise for our wedding anniversary next yr on the new Carnival Magic ship. Its a 7 day cruise taking in 6 ports and only 1 sea day. We will be visiting Monaco, Livorno, Rome, Naples and Messina. We plan on doing excursions in Rome visiting colosseum etc, in Naples we will do Sorrento and poss Pompeii and in Messina we will go to Taormina. It will be full on without much rest so my question is this - is this type of cruise suitable for young kids?

Sorry i posted another thread on Carnival but realise it would prob best be on this board. We want to cruise for our wedding anniversary next yr on the new Carnival Magic ship. Its a 7 day cruise taking in 6 ports and only 1 sea day. We will be visiting Monaco, Livorno, Rome, Naples and Messina. We plan on doing excursions in Rome visiting colosseum etc, in Naples we will do Sorrento and poss Pompeii and in Messina we will go to Taormina. It will be full on without much rest so my question is this - is this type of cruise suitable for young kids?

We haave been to all the ports you will visit and each excursion involved a lenghty bus ride, except Monaco (if you stay there). Florence, Rome, Sorrento / Pompeii and Taormina are not near their ports and will be an hour plus bus ride to and from. They are all great ports but will be a long day and exhausting for a three year old.

We did an 11 day Med cruise last month with my 4 year old. He had a great time. We did do private tours in Rome and Naples, so we were able to set the pace. He especially loved Pompeii. He did nap on the car rides back, as did most of us. Otherwise, he was energized, rather than tired, from the trip.

Only you know your child's capacity for activity. We have done this itinerary several times with our son at different ages - starting at three. It is always best if more of the activities/sights are outside rather than expecting a three year old to love visiting museums. Sounds like you are on the right track. Certainly, he may be more tired and cranky as the days go by. Just pace yourselves.

We too have done several European land and/or cruise vacation with our DD since she was an infant (she's now 14YO :eek:)

DD has always been a good traveler - doesn't mind long car trips, can generally find things that interest her anywhere (Including at 4.5YO "The birth of Venus" in the Ufficio, where I finally got bored and dragged her on to the next gallery!), and until was thrilled to get to be pushed around in a stroller (until she was just over 5YO, at which point we needed to cut back a bit on our walking tours until she developed her endurance). But I know other kids who will never be ready for a European trip (anyone see Little People Big World on TLC where the mom and sister pretty much had to drag the youngest son across Italy. He was 12YO and only concerned about getting back to the hotel so he could swim.) Heck I work with adults who do not have the necessary emotional resources to travel abroad (one woman who consistently gets lost if she's more than 20 miles from home!)

When DD was a toddler, we did do more independent tours (allowing us to do things at our own pace), did plan more "free time" (looking out for play grounds or other kid oriented activities/places) and generally ended up eating at a McD's a few times (in my entire life, I've had a total of 8 Big Macs - all of them in Europe or Asia!).

We've had great fun travelling with our DD over the years. Only you really know what your 3YO is like and how likely it is that (s)he will enjoy the trip.

There really are two ways to look at this, don't take this as advocating one versus the other. I am one that believe parents should go to the end of the world for kids yet at the sametime life as a parent isn't just for the kid.

From the parents POV: Does your child travel well and behave. Then its easy, do what you want and bring the kid in tow. As a youngster say less than 5 very little of what they experience whether boring or at Disneyland will be remembered. yes you'll have the timeless pictures at xyz place for them. :D

From the Kids point POV: If they could actually process a question and articulate an answer I'd think they'd pick week long trip with mom and dad at the beach, playground or whatever versus visiting europe. No kid that young sees a full on day where you are traveling and busy going from place to place as fun, heck I know even a few older people that don't either :D

There is no right, its very personal and how your child does factors too. Nothing like a grump kid to ruin a day or trip.

No kid that young sees a full on day where you are traveling and busy going from place to place as fun, heck I know even a few older people that don't either

Well, never say never. I just asked my 4 year old and 11 year old whether they'd rather go to WDW, the beach or an 11 night Mediterranean cruise and they both chose the cruise. :D

So is that good, you proud or .. :eek: that they answered that.

Seriously for the 11 year old maybe not a suprise, but 4 probably didn't understand the question or implication of one versus the other, LOL

Well, never say never. I just asked my 4 year old and 11 year old whether they'd rather go to WDW, the beach or an 11 night Mediterranean cruise and they both chose the cruise. :D

Thanks to everyone for their replies - i appreciate it. This cruise appeals to us because of all the ports - we have been saying for years that we would love to visit Italy and this would give us a taste of all the places we would eventually go back to. My daughter has been travelling/long haul vacations since she she was 6 months old. Did have a few "bahavioural" issues when in Australia recently but think she has gotten over that now (had only just turned 2!) My daughter loves the beach, parks and visiting places with animals. I doubt she would enjoy the colesseum etc so i am just not sure whether this would be suitable. My M-I-L lives in Galveston and we visit twice a year (we live in UK) so i am thinking that we will do the Med as adults only and then when we next go to Galveston will take our daughter on her first cruise then. That way it will be more relaxing for us all round. Thanks again.

Archived