Won a Cruise !!

patandave

I won a cruise last year on another cruise line from a drawing during a Bingo session. I took the cruise, and I only had to pay for an upgrade to a balcony from an ocean view. I did not receive any 1099G at tax time, so I did not report it on last year's taxes. Now I'm getting a little bit worried that the IRS may track me down some day.

I won mine playing bingo! I still get excited when I reminisce about it. I jumped up and down and screamed and cried my eyes out. When they asked if there was any other Bingo I gave everyone the evil eye and dared them to stand up. Turns out I was the only one and I was SO thrilled. I gave the guy who came over to get my info a huge bear hug. Everyone was laughing at me! I didn't care, I loved it! We chose a 5 day on the Victory to Canada. It was awesome! We did get a 1099G, but it wasn't an inflated value, it really was selling at those prices. What a feeling! Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations!!!

Are there any limitations on what to book?? Like can you get a balcony? And do you still have to pay the taxes/fees, etc??

At any rate......enjoy the free cruise!!

I also won a cruise as the quarterly winner in the cruise evaluation forms that everyone is given at the end of each cruise.

We were assigned a window cabin, which was very nice but could not upgrade.We had within one year to take the cruise with blackout dates during holiday times. We were accessed only the taxes for the cruise but the total value of the cruise becomes income for the winner with regards to taxes. With the paperwork that comes to the winner is also the IRS form for taxes!!!!

It was still a GREAT experience.

• 5 months later...

Hi!

Just booked the cruise I won. Chose Bermuda 7day on Carnival Pride.

That is the only one I put down and I got it. Upgraded to a Balconey with no problem, even chose our room. Very painless process.

Got excited all over again!

We "won" a cruise by listening to time share presentation once..... we only had to pay the taxes/fees. They tried to get us to do upgrades...we said no thanks and ended up getting a nice outside cabin anyways. We also had to go when they had schedule.... we could not pic an exact date, but heck it was free.

On the May 23rd sailing of the Legend I won a free cruise for 2 the Last night of the cruise.

It really does happen to people like us!!

What a night, I won a cruise and my son was Elvis in the Legends show!!

Can't wait to pick my free cruise!!

Oh my gosh!:eek: I thought all that stuff was fake! Thats awesome!!!!! Enjoy your free cruise!:D

Not a CPA but will be contributing MAX to our iras to offset our 1099G... but hey, it's a problem I like having!

Afterthought:

Contribut to Self Directed IRA and purchase 100 shares of CCL to get shareholder benefits.

I have been wanting to buy some CCL shares, do you have a website I can go to, to get more information?

Thank you

Congrats to all the winners in the world! :) It sure is a wonderful feeling.

Hubby was a finalist in the Name That Ship contest a couple of years ago. He won us a trip to England!!!! and the Pre-Inaugural cruise on Independence, what a fantastic experience it was! :)

• 1 month later...

Just off the Fascination (2/10-2/14) where I won the Bingo free cruise. :D YAY!!!

I was so excited and could not believe it. I submitted the form yesterday and only put 2 choices. They ask for 3 choices, but we want that cruise ship/itin and can only do those 2 dates because of all the crazy schedules we have. The free cruise is a cat 6A for 2 people on any 3,4 or 5 night cruise. I picked the Glory 5 night Canada- 2 dates in August. DH got a FCC so that we can take our 3 kids too (in a second cabin). I e-mailed them to see if we can get an inside on the upper deck (forward) instead of the OV on the Riviera deck...I think it is a little cheaper, so I don't see why not. Then, I was thinking of getting a balcony accross the hall with the FCC. DH, twin DDs and I will stay in balcony and DS and his friend will stay in the inside. Or I may just go with the free 6A OV and get 2 insides accross the hall (aft riviera deck...so inexpensive) for 2 boys and 2 girls to have their own cabin.

Archived