Sheraton @ Anchorage

IBCAR18

We stayed there for a night in 1998 on a HAL land excursion. It was a very nice hotel, modern with restuarant on-premises. I cannot speak to it's location, however, as we had bus excursion to downtown from the hotel. Hopefully, there will be other posters with more current information.

The Anchorage Sheraton is on the eastern edge of downtown - around a 6-7 block walk from the middle of things, so maybe 10-15 minutes depending on your foot speed. There aren't many restaurants (aside from the ones in the hotel) very close to the Sheraton, so you may find yourself taking taxis or walking those blocks more than you'd expect. I personally would rent a car for a stay in Anchorage lasting more then a day. Very quiet neighbors on one side of the hotel. (Historic cemetery.)

As for the hotel, it's quite acceptable but ready for a makeover. When it was new in the early '80s it was quite a showplace - one of the best restaurants in town up on the top floor, dramatic jade staircase, fine Native art (the hotel was originally owned and developed by one of the 12 regional Native Corporations that were created by the landmark settlement act following discovery of oil in the arctic.) When I stayed there last year (first time since our wedding night - oy) my impression was that it had not fared that well in the intervening 20 years. Not bad, mind you, just off its game a little.

It comes up now and then on Priceline, and is very good value if you get it, as we did, for around $70 during August.

Stayed there last year on last day(s) of our trip. A bit of a walk but not too bad from the downtown area. We actually dragged our bags the 6+ blocks from Convention center to the hotel. Love those wheeled suitcases.

No food without walking back into town. Would have splurged at hotel rest. but prices were WAY too high. Could not justify it. If you are just whipped (we were), there is a pizza hut about 2 blocks away.

Archived