Need Skagway Help

pkdof

We'll be on the Golden Princess 8/7 round trip out of Seattle. We took our first Alaska cruise 10 years ago on the Sea Princess. On that trip we did the following: Juneau - helicopter to glacier and dog sledding, salmon bake and gold panning; Skagway - Yukon and White Pass expedition (bus up and train back); and Ketchikan - town tour and lumberjack show (we were supposed to take a float plane to go bear watching but were called back after takeoff because of weather).

This trip I have booked the Photo Safari Land and Sea for Juneau, and we are going with Island Wings to Misty Fjord in Ketchikan. But I can't decide what to do in Skagway. We definitely want to do the glassblowing at Jewell Gardens, and want to take the train up this time. I've been reading that Liarsville is too hokey. How is the Days of '98 show? I'm looking at the Klondike Scenic Highlights, which includes the train up, motorcoach to the Yukon suspension bridge, and then a tour of Jewell Gardens and lunch there. We'd get back to the ship at 2:55 and then leave at 4:30 to go back to Jewell Gardens for the glassblowing experience. Does that make sense?

Alternatively, we could take the train round trip (8:10-11:30), then do the Skagway and Days of '98 tour (12:45-3:30), and then do the glassblowing experience. Is the suspension bridge better to see than the Days of '98 show?

I should say that we will be traveling with our 15 year old boy/girl twins (who were on the 1st trip when they were 5).

I've been reading that Liarsville is too hokey. How is the Days of '98 show?

LOL -- Most Alaska cruise excursions are hokey! The whole town of Skagway is hokey! And Days of '98 is DEFINITELY hokey! I love it!!!

You might want to introduce your kids to Robert W Service before you go. Days of '98 always includes a fun dramatization of one of his poems.

check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/ct.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We did the jeep excursion the last time we were there & booked it ourselves. It was a lot of fun and the twins would enjoy it also. Go online and look for it. Lots of good info from the lead jeep as you drive & it comes over the radio.

The Days of 98 show was great fun!! And the National Park Service has a terrific museum with a good movie, and a walking tour. We spent the whole day in town doing National Park service activities (and it was all free)

We will be renting a car in Skagway first thing in the am, any recomendations on what would be open early to purchase a "lunch to go" ?

Thanks for your help.

Jill

Between Caribou Crossing and Emerald Lake is the Spirit Lake Inn. We had a great lunch of soup, sandwiches and fabulous pie there! I really recommend that.

We enjoyed the "Days of 98" show. It is fun and entertaining. We are planning to try to fit it in again this year so my family who is traveling with us can see it too. If you have the time, it is definitely worth it.

Thank you for the replies and the thumbs ups for the Days of '98 show. I have pretty much decided that we will do the glass blowing and lunch at Jewell gardens first, then do the Skagway and Days of '98 tour, and then take the 4:30 round trip train ride.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the 8/7 sailing as well! I have booked the helicopter/glacier in juneau, the rr in skagway, and the bear viewing/floatplane in ketchikan (hope it does not get cancelled on us!) - cant wait!!!

We are going on the 8/7 sailing as well! I have booked the helicopter/glacier in juneau, the rr in skagway, and the bear viewing/floatplane in ketchikan (hope it does not get cancelled on us!) - cant wait!!!

loliola, have you joined our roll call yet?

Archived