1st time Carnival Cruiser - Dream next month

IrishCowboy

Next month, we will be sailing on our first Carnival Cruise (Dream 7/24 - Western carrib). We have sailed on Disney before, but know things may be different.

Just a few questions:

1) How early can we board?

2) Can I drop family off at cruise terminal, return rental car and catch shuttle to terminal and have wife check me in?

3) How many formal nights and what is the 'proper' attire?

4) Any suggestions for excursions in Belize and Isla Rhotan?

Thanks for your help. Please feel free to offer any other tips, advice, or suggestions.

WOW ! ! You obviously love Disney. :)

I haven't cruise the DREAM yet, but in general, you can start boarding around 11:30 -12:00 (handicapped, weddings and VIP cruisers will board first). Others that have actually cruised the DREAM can give you better numbers probably.

I think you can have your wife "preboard" (check-in) using your FUN PASS which you'll download from the Carnival site. However, you'll need to at some point identify yourself before embarking.

There should be 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise.

Sorry, I never do Carnival excursions and prefer to mix with the locals, so don't do very many excursions period.

Next month, we will be sailing on our first Carnival Cruise (Dream 7/24 - Western carrib). We have sailed on Disney before, but know things may be different.

Just a few questions:

1) How early can we board? The first shuttle out of the local hotels start around 10/10:30 AM. 10 minutes to the ship. But you'll probably have to wait in a holding area until closer to 11:15 AM to board. if you get there around 11:30AM, once through security and check in, you'll most likely go right on board.

2) Can I drop family off at cruise terminal, return rental car and catch shuttle to terminal and have wife check me in? All rental car places have vans that can take you and your luggage to the port. It's easier to let them take everyone rather than you dropping off DW and then coming back (you're probably talking a 20-30 minute gap from dropping family until you are back to the pier.)

3) How many formal nights and what is the 'proper' attire? Two "elegant" nights, Sunday and Thursday. Suggested attire is listed on the Carnival site and much discussed on these boards. Most women were a cocktail dress or pants suit outfit. Most men wear a dress shirt and slacks, but many also wear sports coats or suits, ties optional. Some still rent or bring tuxes. 2nd elegant night is less dressy than first, fewer ties fewer suits and tuxes.

4) Any suggestions for excursions in Belize and Isla Rhotan? In Belize, the "fun" thing to do is cave tubing. Others like to see the Mayan ruins. Both are long excursions and many book via ship. In Roatan, if the Dream docks at Mahogany Bay (it didn't recently), the beach there is okay for a beach day. Otherwise, cruisers will do excursions to the West Bay/ West End beaches, or book a tour with an independent vendor. There's a zip line next tot he port area that is very well run, safe, reasonably priced and easy to do before or after an excursion. Go to both the Belize and Roatan ports of call boards for further suggestions and information.

Ship's infamous smell should be mostly eradicated by your cruise; do the Lanai deck BBQ after 12:30 P on sea days; tandoori grill and pasta bars are musts; Mongolian grill better to try after 1 PM. Go to the comedy club; see Dancing in the Streets; try the Serenity deck; find the "secret doors" to the outer forward decks for viewing coming into ports.

Have a great cruise, whatever you do...and don't let the little things or peoples negatives from even a month ago sway your perspective on both the ship or the ports of call.

Just a few questions:

1) How early can we board?

2) Can I drop family off at cruise terminal, return rental car and catch shuttle to terminal and have wife check me in?

3) How many formal nights and what is the 'proper' attire?

4) Any suggestions for excursions in Belize and Isla Rhotan?

Thanks for your help. Please feel free to offer any other tips, advice, or suggestions.

Cowboy:

1. As early as 10:30 or so, depending on debarkation. You may get a call advising to board between 1 and 3, so it's your call. We embarked at 10:50 and were group 11. I believe that, on our day, the first group after VIP embarked at 10:30.

2. Yes - it was a disaster for me as most rental car companies have 1 van and, if you just miss it, you're waiting for 30 minutes or so. Consider all going to the rental company a few minutes earlier.

3. 2 nights. No jeans or t-shirts. Some wore tuxes, some wore suits, others sportjackets. I wore black slacks and a dress shirt - no tie.

4. Too many to mention but, I suggest you search members paulmedik (or paulmedic), k2excursion, jolyroger, and you can click on my link below. All 4 of these reviews covered recent Western Dream swings with 4 different excursions at your 4 ports. All of them have wonderful pictures, as well as tips and ideas to make your trip most memorable.

Have a fantastic time.

Archived