Homewood Suites or Sheraton Seattle

SC-Cruiser

We are looking for a hotel for post-cruise July 4th - 6th. I have already booked Homewood Suites near the pier but can cancel if better options are available. Last year we stayed at Silver Cloud Inn Stadium and Shafer Balile Mansion B&B but both are unavailable. I was looking at Sheraton Seattle but it is $30 more than what I already have booked.

Can anybody compare the Homewood Suites and Sheraton Seattle as to neighborhood, dining nearby, etc. Also, if there are any suggestions of good places to stay, they would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike -

I just returned from the 5/30 sailing of the "O". I stayed pre and post cruise at the Hampton Inn near the space needle. It's in a great little section of town, Queen Anne. It's a quick walk to the needle/monorail which takes you to Westlake Center. From there you can walk to Pikes Place Market, about 4 blocks or so. I found it to be a great location rather than having the high prices of a downtown hotel. The monorail cost was $1/one way, I think. We had 3 people in our party so we could not get a bargin rate for a downtown hotel on Priceline, otherwise I would suggest that.

The morning of the cruise the hotel had a shuttle, $7 pp, to pier 91. Very convenient. FYI - I would not suggest a cab since the meter runs while sitting in traffic at the pier. Believe me, there were long lines of traffic! I found pier 91 to be very congested and unorganized.

It was a great cruise! I would definately trade the cool breezes of Alaska for his hot humid SC air!

Beth

We are looking for a hotel for post-cruise July 4th - 6th. I have already booked Homewood Suites near the pier but can cancel if better options are available. Last year we stayed at Silver Cloud Inn Stadium and Shafer Balile Mansion B&B but both are unavailable. I was looking at Sheraton Seattle but it is $30 more than what I already have booked.

Can anybody compare the Homewood Suites and Sheraton Seattle as to neighborhood, dining nearby, etc. Also, if there are any suggestions of good places to stay, they would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

There are two Homewood Suites, one in the downtown area and the other on Western Ave. a mile or so north of downtown. Since you say "near the Pier" I'm assuming you're referring to the Western Ave. one, which, BTW, is not especially close to either Pier 66 or Pier 91; both will require a cab ride.

If so, then it's a case of apples and bananas. The Sheraton is in the middle of the downtown commercial zone, with umpteen restaurants, department stores, theaters, etc. within a couple of blocks, the Pike market around 5 blocks, and plenty to do.

The (Western Ave.) Homewood Suites is on a rather trafficky street several blocks from much of anything; the Pike market is around a mile south; Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, Science Center) is a few blocks (uphill) to the east, and public transportation is spotty. There are very few restaurants in walking range. Notwithstanding the price, I think you'd be happier with the Sheraton, but YMMV.

We were originally booked at the Homewood on Western? for July 4&5 but after consideration we changed to the Hampton near the space needle. We really wanted the space a suite would give us to spread out after the cruise (we will be staying in a Quad). The Hampton will also be just a few blocks from Lake Union and possibly viewing fireworks.

Archived