Easy Beach Access from Veendam in Hamilton

mobyrichard

My family, which includes an elderly mom, will be in Hamilton on the Veendam in mid-July. She has some mobility issues, so I am not sure that the island bus would be our best option, but still wants to visit some of the famous sand beaches. What beaches are our best options and what is the easiest way to get to them?

My family, which includes an elderly mom, will be in Hamilton on the Veendam in mid-July. She has some mobility issues, so I am not sure that the island bus would be our best option, but still wants to visit some of the famous sand beaches. What beaches are our best options and what is the easiest way to get to them?

Horseshoe Bay by cab. There will still be a short walk but not long. You cannot get to any of the other beaches any closer. You could also go to ST George by ferry than taxi to Tobacco Bay but it is a small beach and although I think it's beautiful in it's own way, it is not a famous south shore beach..

I saw beach wheelchairs at Horseshoe Bay so maybe those would be a help.

I'd definitely take a cab to the beach if there are any mobility issues since the walk down to the beach from the bus stop is quite long on most of the beaches. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We're in (and on) the same boat in September. Any idea on the cab fare from Hamilton port to Horseshoe Bay? And can you get a cab back without having to walk too far?

Thanks!!

And Mobyrichard, will you be sure to post a review? I'd love to be able to learn from your experience. My limited mobility Mom is 89, how 'bout yours?

We're in (and on) the same boat in September. Any idea on the cab fare from Hamilton port to Horseshoe Bay? And can you get a cab back without having to walk too far?

Thanks!!

And Mobyrichard, will you be sure to post a review? I'd love to be able to learn from your experience. My limited mobility Mom is 89, how 'bout yours?

about $20

The cabs back are at the exact same place they drop you off which is by the entrance to the beach(its a walk by the concessions/bath house to the actual beach)

Thanks!!

Charleysmom:

I will let you know how our beach trip went once we get back. My Mom is only 75, but has had severe knee problems and heart bypass surgery!

about $20

The cabs back are at the exact same place they drop you off which is by the entrance to the beach(its a walk by the concessions/bath house to the actual beach)

We just visited Church Bay, the best for snorkeling. We went by bus, but I am sure that a taxi could take you down to the beach. When we left there were plenty of taxi's there at the beach... many offered a ride up the hill to the bus stop but I bet they would be delighted to take you anywhere you wanted to go.

Archived