transatlantic luggage question.

asda

hi

we are sailing from southampton in october on the azura cruise ship to the caribbean and will be flying back to manchester,

our flight home is with thomas cook and our luggage allowance is 23 kilos each. can we pay to take more weight as im not sure if 23 kilos is enough for a 16 night cruise?

thanks

hi

we are sailing from southampton in october on the azura cruise ship to the caribbean and will be flying back to manchester,

our flight home is with thomas cook and our luggage allowance is 23 kilos each. can we pay to take more weight as im not sure if 23 kilos is enough for a 16 night cruise?

thanks

Its normally very expensive to pay for extra baggage allowance on charter flights. Azura has free laundry facilities so you could use those to ensure you keep within the baggage allowance. Just take some wash tablets with you.

I too paniced when we were on Ventura last year when I saw the weight allowance, but it is fine. We had DJ's and evening dresses but not beaded ones. I visited the laundrette once to freshen up Tshirts and shorts, dress shirts I sent to the laundry.

Lightweight case to start with. We have one case which I feel would take up all the allowance ........ empty! Fine for a Worldie Southampton to Southampton (We actually had it under the bed as our 'shop' when we did the Worldie. Duplicates and spares of this, that and everything)

As someone else said, take non beaded dresses. My daughter has a beautiful very expensive neaded dress. That weighs the allowance!

Shoes. Two pairs of identical shoes can weigh such a difference you wouldn't believe it.

Don't forget, many of the consumables will be 'consumed' whilst on your cruise so they will not be there to weigh when you come back. Half an inch of something in the bottom of a glass bottle? Chuck it.

As has been said. Use the launderette and/or the ships laundry. Using the laundry won't cost as much as an excess baggage charge.

Cabin Bag? One of ours on wheels weighs the allowance, empty, because of the wheels and handle arrangement. So use lightweight back packs.

We did the first two legs of Arcadia's Worldie last year. Sail from Southampton, fly back from Singapore. 5 weeks. No problem either on the cruise of flying home..

Put everything you want to take on a spare bed. Pack it, weight the case on the bathroom scales. Empty the case out, put half back in the drawers and wardrobe and start again, this time being sensible.

Then have a nice cruise :-)

Hi asda

I'm on this cruise as well and flying back to Manchester.

I always struggle with the fly cruise weight allowance as I like to take quite a few prs of shoes with me.:)

No problem really as we depart from Southampton and when we leave the ship at Barbados I don't think the luggage is actually weighed by anyone (not individual cases anyway)

Of course - this doesnt mean we should take advantage, but it does mean that if we're a couple of kilos over, then we won't be charged.

I have one of those hand-held digital luggage weigher things - it only cost £4.99 and I use it a lot.

Caryl

We did the same cruise last year on the Ventura. I bought t-shirts etc for the beach very cheaply from Primark and simply left them behind!! Also, they collect your luggage on the last night and you don't see it again till you land back in the UK so it doesn't matter if you are a little over, i'm certain I was!!

We are also on this cruise and did the same transatlantic with Leesre on Ventura in 2008. As said before they don't weigh your luggage in Barbados so don't worry to much. We have very light weight Samsonite cases which have proved to be a good investment and my DH's suit and tux goes in a suit carrier as hand luggage. You'd be surprised just how many summer weight clothes you get for 23kgs each.

Do come over and join our roll call.

Janet

Archived