Miracle vs Pride - can anyone help with this decision

So we're looking at taking one of these ships next summer.

The Miracle, 8-day Eastern on 6/15/11 for the 2 cabins we want is $5202.

The Pride, 7-day Eastern on 6/19/11 for the same two cabins is $5798.

Seems a no brainer right? But, our last Carnival cruise was on the Miracle out of NYC with different ports. We live in Maryland. These two itineraries are nearly identical and really the ships are basically the same too. I think for less cost + 1 extra day, we drive to NYC. Kids are saying they don't want to take the same ship. Wonderful husband is saying "whatever you want honey", grrrr.

NYC is about 4 hrs drive and we could drive up that morning to avoid add'l hotel costs but we may opt to go up the night before so that could cost an add'l $200 (hotel + food). Baltimore is obviously a drive up port for us.

Help!!!!!!!!!

I would take a look at the Amtrak prices. I think Penn Station is close to the port, and often train travel is so cheap, that it may be still be cheaper to sail the Miracle (no parking fees if someone can drop you at a station) without the hassle of driving. We were going to do this before the Pride listed the Bermuda itineraries.

So--which ship is stopping at Half Moon Cay? That is my favorite port.

I would go on the Miracle.

We were on the Pride in October to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport and on the Miracle in May to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

I'm all about the best bang for my buck so 8 nights and less money would have me choosing the Miracle. Also, there is nothing like sailing our of NY by the Statue of Liberty.

Parking was $105 in Baltimore and will be $240 in NYC. We live in South Jersey so we took the train to Penn Station which was easy but we are two adults with one suitcase with wheels each. The ships are both in the Spirit class so the layout is the same. There were more activities on the Miracle compared with the Pride.

That being said, either cruise will be a great one!!

Happy cruising!

K

The Pride is my fave ship of all time, but if it's the crappy Bahamas itinerary, I would rather go to NYC. I am so disappointed that the itins out of Baltimore are so sucky right now. Take the Miracle.

The itineraries are nearly identical. Yes, they both go Half Moon Cay.

Miracle - sea day, sea day, Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau, sea day, sea day

Pride - sea day, sea day, Grand Turk, HMC, Freeport, sea day

I'm really undecided because they are so similar. Less money + 1 day vs. newness (for us) and proximity. Accccckkkkkkkkkk...

I'd go with the extra day if it worked out ok with my vacation schedule. In September, I don't have the extra vacation day and this our 50% off cruise (only allowing 7 days not 8) so we are cruising from Baltimore. We live outside Philadelpia so it's an easy 3 hour drive or less for us to either port. We've done 4 of the 8 day cruises from NY (not the current itinaries), 2 Legend and 2 Miracle plus a Cruise to Nowhere on the Miracle. There is a special excitement cruising frm NY.

unless something has changed the Miracle is alternating between bahamas and Caribbean. I'd take the Miracle Caribbean itinerary over the bahamas anytime. By the way we did the Miracle in 2008 and 2009. Nothing wrong with taking the same ship twice and you could just mix it up with the itinerary change.

The train suggestion may save you some $$$$ with gas prices and the total charge of parking at the pier.

As others have said, if you choose the NY itinerary, definitely look into the train. The last time we cruised out of NY we booked Amtrak ....3 of us for under $300. Amtrak has tons of specials to NY they offer all the time. Saved money on hotel and parking, also driving hassles.

That said, we sailed two years in a row on the same ship, same itinerary and found both trips enjoyable in their own ways.

If you think the Miracle is a better deal (more days, less money) then I say go for it.

We are doing the Pride next month (the aforementioned 'crappy' :eek: Bahamas itinerary), but the way I look at it....I'm not at work, not commuting, but on a ship and on vacation! :D

The Miracle and the Pride are the only two ships I have ever been on. My wife and I did the miracle for our honeymoon and then two years later we did the pride. As soon as we got on the boat it was like we never left. The boats are exactly the same except for a few different decorations and colors. So taking a different ship between the two is not really like taking a different ship. Go with the extra day and better itinerary. At least sailing out of New York you get a full day in Nassau. We only got till 1p.m. with th pride out of Baltimore.

Thanks guys for confirming my initial thought about the Miracle. I mean really less money + 1 extra sea day (personally, those are my favorite anyway). I wonder why cruising from Baltimore is so expensive?

I priced Amtrak as if it were this year and YIKES! I don't think it'll save us since we're a family of 5! The rates were in the area of $700+ roundtrip.

I wonder when the Yankees 2011 schedule will be released. I would love to take the family to a Yankee game either before or after the cruise. My boys (all three) are HUGE Yankee fans.

PS: Tiffany, what did you think of the Imagination? I'm thinking about surprising dh with a 4-day Imagination cruise next August for our 25th anniversary. Did you do Bahamas or KW and Cozumel?

Archived