Permission Letter If Only One Parent Is Going?

GTO-Girl

We are booked on the Dream for May of 2011. We have 2 cabins, one for my husband and I.....and one for my daughter and our 2 granddaughters.

Since my son-in-law is not going to be able to go, will we need a notarized permission letter stating he knows about the trip?

The non custodial parent ( your son-in-law ) has to sign a letter agreeing to his children to travel outside the US with there mother ( your daughter). I would make sure that it also allows you (grand parents ) to be with them outside of the US . This so that you can look after them if the mother is badly injured in an accident.

I always sail alone with my daughter. I have never been asked for a notarized letter from her father granting permission for her travel out of the states, yet I always have one as backup just in case.

Over 50 cruises together and we were never questioned, but it only takes that one time. It can ruin a vacation. Better to be prepared.

There is always a first time .

• 4 weeks later...
What do you folks think? My son's father is not listed on the birth certificate and has chosen not to be involved. If I take his birth certificate with me and it has only me as the mother and no father listed, do you think I will be ok?

I couldn't imagine trying to figure out where his father lives and get permission. And for that matter, I could have any person on the street sign a paper saying they were his father and gave permission, since nobody is listed as his father on the birth certificate.

Will I be ok since I'm the only parent on the birth certificate?

Actually, yes, the birth cerificate with only your name is the proof you need. I had my children through insimination, and when we went to get a passport, the proof they wanted was the birth certificate with no fathers name listed. When we cruise I am going to bring it along, just in case.

When we traveled on the Disney cruise to the Bahamas, I took the form and it was not requested. My friend took her nephew on the same cruise and he only had his birth certificate and she was not questioned. If it is not a hassle to get it signed, I would feel better having it and not need it then to be at the cruise terminal and find out you need it.

On our last cruise in May, a guy didn't have his birth certificate and he was on the phone trying to find someone to go into his house to find it and faxed it to him. I don't know if he made it on the ship but why go thru that hassle at the beginning of your vacation.

Archived