Has anyone done these Carnival Excursions in St. Maarten?

Meredisney

Ok, ok, ok....I know what you are going to say. You are going to tell me to post this in the Port of Call thread. I have. I actually posted a similar question there, but haven't received any help yet. My question is specific to Carnival, so I thought I'd have better luck with my friends here.

Has anyone done either of these excursions and if so, what's the difference? They sound kind of the same to me. I even googled this and found that a lady asked this same question to John Herald in his blog, but his reply was to do the Explorer Cruise and Island Tour!!! Ey yi yi....no help there....

1. St Maarten Island Tour 2.5 hours @ 39.95

See downtown Philipsburg, the capital of the Dutch side.

View many important homes and businesses as you travel along Perimeter Road towards lookout point.

Cross the Dutch / French border towards the capital of the French side of the island, Marigot.

Spend time shopping or strolling along the main street of this quaint little town.

Proceed past the resort areas, featuring many luxury hotels and resorts.

Return back to the Dutch side of the island to finish your excursion.

2. Dutch & French Island Experience: 2.5 hours @ 25.95 a person

Ride an air conditioned bus, from which you will witness the tremendous development which has made the 37 square mile island so popular and busy.

Ride through the Dutch side and capital of Philipsburg, founded in 1763 by John Phillips, a Scottish Captain in the Dutch Navy.

See the predominant landmark - the restored courthouse originally built in 1793, before continuing to the other side of the island.

Ride through the hills towards Marigot, the capital of French St. Martin which was originally a fishing village and now features gingerbread houses and sidewalk bistros.

Enjoy some time on your own to explore Marigot’s boutiques lining the picturesque narrow streets.

Continue your journey through Grand Case, a seaside town known as the “gourmet capital” of the Caribbean, and past the ever popular Orient Beach.

Stop at Cole Bay Lookout for a photo opportunity of the beautiful Simpson Bay.

Choose to be dropped off downtown or return directly

I vote for "neither". We did the "See & Sea" one in St. Martin and quite honestly I spent most of time on the dang BUS. It was crowded and we really didn't learn/see much about the island itself. I wasn't real impressed with Marigot, but then we weren't there that long bc of the road construction (and supposedly there's only ONE main road that goes from one side to the other). It was probably the WORST excursion we've been on in three cruises.

P.S.- maybe it's the route that's different on the two tours? And/or where the most time is spent? I'd call the Shore Excursions Dept at Carnival and ask them.

I have been to St. Maarten twice on my Carnival cruises and haven't taken the tours you are asking about, BUT I did have an awesome private tour on my last trip there!

If you want to see a ton of the island and get what I consider to be a GREAT value....check out Bernard's Tours. He is a private tour operator on the island. For about $35, you can do his group tour which includes seeing practically the whole island. It's an all day adventure!

It included: A tour of the Dutch side, with history, a stop at a lookout point where a man brings all kinds of sea-life out of the ocean for you to hold(urchins, starfish, sea-stars),a tour and info about the French side, a stop at Orient Beach, a stop in Marigot, an awesome stop at Maho beach to see the planes land over your head, and a scenic drive back to the pier. He would have dropped us off in Phillipsburg to shop, but we were tired, and just headed back to the ship. The tour also included beverages along the way.

We did a private tour because we had 10 people--it cost us each $45, but we had our own van. We actually had Bernard as our guide, and he was awesome!!! He is able to alter the tour if you do the private one. Unless you have a bunch of people, the group one is the most affordable. I would HIGHLY recommend this tour.

You can get more info about Bernard by doing a search on google for Bernard's Tours on St. Maarten!!

I've taken the St Martin Island tour, a couple years ago while on the Glory. You're right, they sound like the very same tour, I'd go with the cheaper one. It's a nice ride around the island and a good way to get a little bit of history.

I have vacationed on St. Maarten several times. It is a beautiful island and super easy to get around. I would reccomend a private tour, and request a stop at Orient beach. It is an amazingly beautiful beach. The few times I have stayed in St. Maarten, I always stayed on the French side of the island at Orient Beach. The Dutch side of the island is more built up and the airplanes land right over the main beach on the dutch side. There is a small beach near the cruise ship port along with a really fun bar that has all inclusive beach breaks. The dutch side of the island near he port is great for shopping.

Take the Cab to Orient Beach. About $15.

Ask to Go to Pedros Beach bar, also the main

cab station.

Tons of bars with music, beautiful scenery,

and lots of Europeans with out clothing

wondering why all the people come here

from the cruise ships and don't "Git Nakid".

I know we do every time we go there.

There is a ridge and a reef right offshore,

and we have seen manta's sharks, and lots

of reef fish. All the bars have specials, and

some have live music. Its awesome, and rated one of

the best Beachs in the world.

I know I'll be back to Pedros, once you go there,

you will too! Don't worry , be Happy!

Ps: Make sure you leave Orient about 35 to 45 minutes

before ship leaves, its about a 20 minute drive back,

but gets a little crazy on the winding road...

Also check out Caliente Resort in Tampa, do a google.

Sorta like Orient Beach, just very upscale and in The USA.

I'd rather be a cruzin' than a workin'...

May your Seas Be Flat,

And your tummies be fat!

Oh Yea, and hit a few slots too!

Ed, Deb, Sean and Amy

Dozens of cruises...

Millions of special Memories...

Any questions email us:

expectdreams@yahoo.com

http://www.healthylandolakes.com

Epic next year anyone? Group rates? Let us know... lol :)

If you want to do the island tour thing, i can also highly recommend Bernard's tours instead of the ship tour. Wonderful day, drinks included, small group, and Bernard is a really great guy to talk to about the island. Very knowledgable on the island's history, culture, political issues, etc. No worries at all about getting back to the ship well before departure, either.

Archived