2 year old to Alaska- any suggestions?

AnotherVirginCruiser

We left our two year old at home, because she would have gone insane not being able to even go in the Fun Factory when her brothers went. Not because we thought she would have been too much trouble.

alaska is different from the Carribean, in that when you get to the port, you can't pay to play on a private beach and just enjoy the weather.

I *think* you can check out toys from the fun factory and you can babysitters for the evening if you desire. You know your child best and know whether he (she) can sit for dinner and behave. I saw one couple who had to eat in shifts, I felt really bad for them. Depending on when you are going, there should be lots of families going.

Are you going with a large family group who can help you out with her?

Anyway, Alaksa is a very port intensive trip. Most likely you will have all day to hang out in the port. I would seek out parks and playgrounds.

I wrote reviews from my kids' perspective from our alaska trip. If you would like to see them email me at reachlynn@yahoo.com.

As to the ship, I think she will be happy just running around. there is lots of room.

Are you going with a large family group who can help you out with her?

Anyway, Alaksa is a very port intensive trip. Most likely you will have all day to hang out in the port. I would seek out parks and playgrounds.

I wrote reviews from my kids' perspective from our alaska trip. If you would like to see them email me at reachlynn@yahoo.com.

As to the ship, I think she will be happy just running around. there is lots of room.

Yes- we have a big family group going who love to spend time with her. I'll email you as we have a 4, 7, & 9 year old going too. Thanks.

The excursions that the older kids would probably enjoy most might be tough with a two year old. Our kids' favorites were the helicopter glacier landing/dogsledding out of Skagway and whale watching out of Juneau. BUT, I have heard of kids as young as two going up in the helicopter and the dog camp is a lot of fun, so if the budget allows may be worth considering. And it's fairly quick, so she shouldn't get too restless. The whale watching is great, but a couple of hours at least on a small boat, so you know best how she'd do on that. In Junau, there's the Mt. Roberts tram which is fairly quick and painless, and if the weather is nice provides some nice easy walking/playing around areas up top. On the Summit, we were told that you could take toys out of the Fun Factory for little ones. There were also videos to check out at the Guest Relations desk. When we traveled with our kids that young, I would always pack a few of their favorite toys and books.

The glacier landing/dog sledding excursion is the most cancelled excursion in Alaska. I recommend not telling your children about it until you are actually know the excursion will happen. We had very disappointed kids in our group -- that was the one thing the (jaded) teenagers were looking forward too.

We're going to Alaska in July with our 18 month old.

Another consideration is that you have to pay full price for shore excursions....

We found that if you book certain excursions independently with the operator, as opposed to through the ship, many offered discounted pricing for children.

• 1 month later...

Archived