Camera choice

Persnickety

email is jsavoy68@gmail.com Mitsugirl...

Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit a post...

Are you on facebook? I'll email you. I actually have a photography website. I'll send you my link. It hasn't been updated in awhile. I've been busy with school full time, work, and PLANNING MY VACATION ON THE EPIC!! :D I've kinda put my photography business on the back burner at the moment. :(

I would not suggest bringing a prime lens unless you have a macro. I have brought 4-5 lens, 2 camera bodies and a flash for all of my cruises. But usually only use my 24-70mm, 70-200 IS or now a 100-400mm len. We also have a P&S my DW carries for herself.

Depending on the camera body you have leave the 50mm at home unless you are going to use if for low light shots on the ship.

I completely disagree with this. I do most of my shots with my prime lens because I love it so much. :D I don't leave home without it for sure.

I purposely bought an Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 for our cruise. It is about the same size as a Blackberry Curve, so fits easily in the pocket (even a swimsuit pocket - mine has zippered cargo pockets so I don't loose it when I'm not using it). It is also waterproof to 33 feet (so good for the beach), takes a 14 megapixal picture (so you get big, quality shots), and has a 5x optical zoom (so you can reach out a bit). It also has specific settings, expressly for underwater photography, designed to compensate for the color loss you get underwater.

Are you on facebook? I'll email you. I actually have a photography website. I'll send you my link. It hasn't been updated in awhile. I've been busy with school full time, work, and PLANNING MY VACATION ON THE EPIC!! :D I've kinda put my photography business on the back burner at the moment. :(

I completely disagree with this. I do most of my shots with my prime lens because I love it so much. :D I don't leave home without it for sure.

I think it is a personal preference. I don't like to take all my camera gear since it makes my bag very heavy so to make it easy I remove my prime lens. When I have the zoom lens I have a full field to shoot with. From 24mm all the way to 400mm and if I need more I use a 1.4 converter. At home I like to use them as much as possible depend on the subject or shoot I am doing.

I think it is a personal preference. I don't like to take all my camera gear since it makes my bag very heavy so to make it easy I remove my prime lens. When I have the zoom lens I have a full field to shoot with. From 24mm all the way to 400mm and if I need more I use a 1.4 converter. At home I like to use them as much as possible depend on the subject or shoot I am doing.

That's understandable. My prime lens is not heavy though and takes excellent pictures. So, I do know that it will be coming along with me. My "zoom" lens is a 100-300mm and extremely heavy because it is the older Minolta lens. So, I'm thinking I might not be taking it with me. Not as much photo opportunity with that lens. I wish I had another lens, other than the 18-70mm kit lens. It works good but not the greatest f stop and it just feels....well cheap of course. I thought about buying one like yours but the guys on the photo forums suggested that I not get one like that because you loose a lot (when zoomed in) around the edges and it just gets too soft. So, I decided not to. Do you have many problems with yours? I think the most I would need would be up to 200mm. 400mm would be an over kill for most of my general purposes.

That's understandable. My prime lens is not heavy though and takes excellent pictures. So, I do know that it will be coming along with me. My "zoom" lens is a 100-300mm and extremely heavy because it is the older Minolta lens. So, I'm thinking I might not be taking it with me. Not as much photo opportunity with that lens. I wish I had another lens, other than the 18-70mm kit lens. It works good but not the greatest f stop and it just feels....well cheap of course. I thought about buying one like yours but the guys on the photo forums suggested that I not get one like that because you loose a lot (when zoomed in) around the edges and it just gets too soft. So, I decided not to. Do you have many problems with yours? I think the most I would need would be up to 200mm. 400mm would be an over kill for most of my general purposes.

Yeah the prime lens are not really heavy for me either, just take up space in the bag. I use a Canon 5D Mark 2 and have not seen any soft edges on my photos on either of the lens. I do some sports photography and that is one of the reasons I have the 400mm lens but it does come in handy in certain opportunities.

Yeah the prime lens are not really heavy for me either, just take up space in the bag. I use a Canon 5D Mark 2 and have not seen any soft edges on my photos on either of the lens. I do some sports photography and that is one of the reasons I have the 400mm lens but it does come in handy in certain opportunities.

bowdown.gif Canon 5D Mark 2 Lucky you. I have a lot of friends with this camera and they tell me how awesome it is. I envy you my friend! I just have a Sony a300. My starter camera. :D Maybe some day once I graduate nursing school I'll get the big dog. Happy clicking. photo.gif

mitsugirly and tekman26,

RE: rain cover for camera - check out the Op/Tech SLR Rainsleeve. Really cheap and they seem to work well. I bought two a couple years ago and have used one in Alaska and Costa Rica. Not real heavy construction, but good for $5. Reuseable. Very light and small. I keep at least one in the camera bag, just in case.

Art

mitsugirly and tekman26,

RE: rain cover for camera - check out the Op/Tech SLR Rainsleeve. Really cheap and they seem to work well. I bought two a couple years ago and have used one in Alaska and Costa Rica. Not real heavy construction, but good for $5. Reuseable. Very light and small. I keep at least one in the camera bag, just in case.

Art

I already have 2 of them. I bought them back when I first bought my camera because I was doing a lot of outdoors photography. Thanks. :)

Archived