Guaranteed cabin???

jettman

Has anyone experienced a guaranteed cabin assignment with Seabourn? We are thinking about going this route; however, we are new to Seabourn, so we are reluctant to sign-up for a guaranteed ocean view cabin on the Pride. Are we at risk of getting an odd shaped, restricted view cabin? Please share your experience.

Thanks!

Welcome to Seabourn! The guaranteed suites are very popular and often sell out because they are capacity controlled, vary by ship and cruise. With the exception of the Deluxe and Owners Suites, all other suites are essentially the same in size and layout (some suites have shower only while the balance have tub and shower. Hence, the different fares are for location, location, location.

All suites have ocean views. There are two differently shaped Category A suites that are the two most forward suites on Deck 4. They are normally reserved for guest lecturers or bridge instructors but passengers have been berthed there.

With a guarantee assignment, you will be berthed in at least the category suite you paid for and there is a chance you will be upgraded. Guarantee suite assignments are usually made about a month before sailing. I have had some wonderful upgrades over the years on Seabourn.

My advice, Go For It!

Ditto what Paul advises. One other thing is that some of the suites have a large picture window with a wonderful little bench underneath. They do not open, but are unobstructed. On the Pride, you are very close to an open deck. Just steps away from anywhere. All the others have a Juliette balcony, big enough for your feet, but that's about all, although they do open. I always get a guarantee booking. On the smaller ships, even the lifeboats are acceptable to me!

We are taking our first cruise with Seabourn in late July. We booked a GTY Suite. 3 days ago, we got our suite assignment and we were upgraded to a room that would have been 3 times the price had we booked it in the first place! No worries on the size of the cabin, and if you are booking an "A" suite GTY, there really are no obstructed views. As was explained above, there are 4 forward suites that are smaller ... 225 sq ft ... on deck 7 of the Pride, but for the most part used for the VIP staff. Go for it .... I know, I'm glad I did! :o

We have just come off the Pride and were upgraded to a higher category oceanview, we absolutely loved the room but we both suffer with seasickness and our room was on deck 6 right at the front, when we hit rough seas we really knew about it. I believe some people had asked for midships or lower decks so may be worth mentioning it if you do suffer.

We have just come off the Pride and were upgraded to a higher category oceanview, we absolutely loved the room but we both suffer with seasickness and our room was on deck 6 right at the front, when we hit rough seas we really knew about it. I believe some people had asked for midships or lower decks so may be worth mentioning it if you do suffer.

If you don't mind me asking ... we are on the Pride 7/29. we were upgraded as well ... 316.

There is very little downside to a GTY suite. We booked on our last suite because we booked late and it was our only option. We usually book an A1 because we like being down low -- we were upgraded to a B3(top level balcony). We were worried that if we ran into rough seas it would be a problem -- we were fortunate the seas were calm. We have also just booked a two week BTB Med cruise as an A1 GTY because right now no one A1 suite is avaialble for both cruises. We shall see what happens. To me the only other possible downside is that we will be assigned one of the few suite without a bathtub.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience with guaranteed cabins!! We experienced a very strange conversation with a Seabourn rep last week regarding prices for a GTY cabin. She told me that several travel agencies are posting inaccurate prices and that Seabourn had a disclaimer about this. The Seabourn rep said that our price quote was too low even with taking out the TA commission.

We have received the exact same price quote from two different travel agencies, so we have no idea how to interpret this comment and whether we will get a separate bill from Seabourn for the difference?? Has anyone experienced this situation with Seabourn? Anyone know how to interpret what is going on here?

Thanks!

Hi Jettman,

Just a guess judging from your CC "handle" - is this an interline booking? The Seabourn reservation agents may not be familiar with your rate since they are usually for reserved for travel industry folks.

Hope you have a great trip,

Twoflyers

I cannot see why guests don't book the exact type and level of suite that they wish to travel in.

I know an A1 guarantee is a grade, but if you like a low down mid ship position you could be in for a suprise when you get a high up forward position with rough seas.

Is it just a case of money that we are talking about here.

While I do tend to agree that booking a GTY suite is a bit like playing Russian roulette perhaps some people do like the idea that they "might" get a great deal and are willing to risk the alternative. As I stated, we usually do book a particular suite(119 or 121) but there have been times when that was not possible and have had to do a GTY booking.

I would be booking an owners suite if it wasn't about the money ... Had I booked the suite that I was up-graded to it would have been 3 times the cost. I am a working man that has a mortgage and a wife that has expensive taste ... there is only so much to spread around. :p

I'm not familiar with the guaranteed suite program and don't see anything about it on Seabourn's website. How exactly does it work? Is there a cost to reserve over and above the normal cost of the category in which you are booking?

I'm not familiar with the guaranteed suite program and don't see anything about it on Seabourn's website. How exactly does it work? Is there a cost to reserve over and above the normal cost of the category in which you are booking?

What you are doing is paying for a cabin level ... either the lowest price or the "next to the highest" price. You are GUARENTEED that you will get that level ... or ... higher. SO, if you paid for and got the level that you paid for ... no loss, no gain. If you were upgraded, you win, unless they put you in a location that isn't the best OR there is an obstruction to your view. It is a gamble. One I take all the time. If you have to pin-point your location ... don't do a guarentee. I believe they call it "Run od the Ship."

I assume that when you make your booking, you simply tell the travel agent that you want a guaranteed booking. Normally, when do you hear from Seabourn as to what cabin you have been assigned? Does it ever happen that you actually show up without knowing which cabin?

Lexcruiser,

Generally, suites are assigned 30 days before sailing. You can go to Seabourn's website and click on "Already Booked" and log into your reservation and see if "GTY" is replaced by a suite number. About 2 weeks before sailing, Seabourn finalizes all bookings for the sailing and prohibits passenger access to them. If you do not have your suite number by then, either you or your TA will have to call Seabourn to get your suite number. Although rare, there have been isolated instances where a few passengers embarked on the ship not knowing their suite number.

I was initially confused by "guaranteed suite" and, thanks to all the great info here, now understand the concept. My partner and I are ready to confirm our first Seabourn booking (purchase deadline in 5 hours): Odyssey 7-day in August (Adriatic & Greek Isles, "A GTY" booking).

I was surprised to read quite a few mixed reviews on this site and wonder if, in particular, I should be concerned with the vibrations mentioned in several of the reviews. I tend to be sensitive to noise and motion - do I need to reconsider this boat?

Also, is there a thread with tips for Seabourn newbies? Thanks!

Personally, I strongly recommend against an A guarantee on the Odyssey or Sojourn. The A suites on the larger ships are very far forward on deck 4 and right on top of the anchor. If you book a guarantee with the hope of getting upgraded and then do not, you may not be happy. I recommend at least an A1 guarantee which is midship. This is a strong contrast to the triplets where an A guarantee is a much better bet since the ships are so much smaller and the location is not that much of a difference. JMO.

We're booked in a "Gty-A" suite on Sojourn on 27 Sept. Our cruise is for 15 days and is the "middle" portion of two longer cruises which stretch for a total of 41 days. Both longer segments show "A" suites "wait-listed". Our cruise shows availability in "A".

So the question: How is it possible for the cruises which encapsulate our sailing to show no availability in "A" while our cruise, in the middle of these two, shows "A" availability? Comps booked in the portions of the two sailings which are on either side of our dates?

We're booked in a "Gty-A" suite on Sojourn on 27 Sept. Our cruise is for 15 days and is the "middle" portion of two longer cruises which stretch for a total of 41 days. Both longer segments show "A" suites "wait-listed". Our cruise shows availability in "A".

So the question: How is it possible for the cruises which encapsulate our sailing to show no availability in "A" while our cruise, in the middle of these two, shows "A" availability? Comps booked in the portions of the two sailings which are on either side of our dates?

Maybe people on your cruise booked before the people taking the 41 day? Only thing I can think of.

And to the other poster, asking about a newbie to seabourn thread...i'd suggest you look to the thread to get a voucher if you're a first time sailor on seabourn. If you acquire one, both you and the person who sent to you, get a $400 OBC with Seabourn. :-)

Regarding the question posted earlier in this thread as to whether your suite will be changed once it had been posted under your booking on Seaborn's website, my TA says that very rarely does Seabourn change it once they enter it online. We do not sail until late September and our suite number has already been assigned.

Archived