Athens

I know this question has been asked before, but if we want to travel on our own to the Acropolis (there will be 4 adults) can somebody give me the best info to do this this? travel this Fri 25th June.:)

I know this question has been asked before, but if we want to travel on our own to the Acropolis (there will be 4 adults) can somebody give me the best info to do this this? travel this Fri 25th June.:)

Hello there,

Here is a copy of the review I did last year about how to get into Athens on the Metro.

Piraeus (Athens);

It is very easy to get into Athens independently using the Metro - but it is quite a good walk to get to the Metro, at least 20 minutes at a reasonably brisk pace - but it is on the flat. It may be worth getting a taxi for this bit if you're not into a route-march. If you are using the Metro, ask at Destination Services for a Metro map and instructions - it's very good info. Basically, go through the coach park and you skirt all the way around the port (turn left on exiting) passing the Catholic Church and McDonalds on your right. When you get to the foot bridge (steps and escalator) you cross over and the Metro station is the yellow building on your left. The ticket was 1E each way - remember to validate your ticket before getting on the train. There was one standing in the station as we arrived and the ticket seller said they run every 5 minutes. Taxis all the way into Athens are expensive and the traffic means that it will probably take longer than doing it the way we did.

We had decided to explore the area as we had a fairly early departure (15.00) and save doing the Acropolis for our next visit when we hope to have more time - although we did leave the ship promptly at 8.00 and were in Athens before 9.00. If visiting the Acropolis was your main objective, it is perfectly possible to do it on this schedule - but go there early before it gets too hot and crowded.

We had a leisurely stroll around Plaka (charming!) and the markets of Monastriaki (local, tourist and flea markets). We had a welcome rest and cold beer at one of the street cafes. We felt we'd had a real flavour of Athens (though not the manic roads/streets/traffic of the areas surrounding Plaka and the Acropolis - this looked scary!) and look forward to exploring the Acroplois and Agora in the future now we have our bearings.

Give yourself plenty of time for the return trip - we left Monastriaki at about 12.15 getting back to the ship at 13.30. This took a bit longer than the outward trip as at the port it rather like check-in at the airport - long queues, security and unfortunately the embarkation of a Princess ship (hundreds of passengers arriving at the same time - with hand baggage!) all slowing up the process.

Following this review we went to Piraeus again on another trip. We had a later departure time but still went into Athens early to beat the crowds and heat. But we got off the station BEFORE Monastiraki (Thissio?) and walked up the more gentle slope of a cobbled boulevard going in an anticlockwise direction around the base of the Acropolis. The main entrance is up some steps on your left. The ticket office though is on your right I think - not at the actual entrance. If any of your party are eligible for concessions, don't be afraid to ask both on the Metro and at the Acroplolis as there are good reductions available. We carry our driving licences for this reason. (Apologies if you are far too young to know what a bus pass looks like - no offence meant! :eek: )

Remember to go in good walking shoes as the marble steps are quite slippy and a sun hat and water are a good idea too. Just take the usual care on the Metro too with your belongings - we felt as though we'd been targeted and 'hemmed in' by the door just as we got on the train - our way was blocked by a young woman and man who were NOT prepared to move. In desperation I pushed through at which point they both got off the train so we thought it had been an attempt to relieve us of some of our belongings. But just be aware as you would in any city and especially on public transport where you can be squashed in. This warning to one side, it's really easy and cheap to use the Metro and we'd have no hesitation in using this method of getting into Athens when we go again.

Enjoy your holiday!:)

Hi there,I followed the Kruzseekas directions on a previous on a visit last summer and they worked perfectly.One thing to remember is to validate your ticket on the metro before you use it,this can be done at one of the ticket machines.The ticket inspectors can issue on the spot fines if you dont do this.The metro is very easy to use and every stop is announced before you arrive at the next station.

Archived