CCL Triumph v RCL Spirit NOLA Western Carib.

igo2travel

I'm trying to plan a western carribbean trip out of New Orleans around Jazz Fest next year. Sounds fun, doesn't it? The Triumph is a Saturday cruise and the Spirit is a Sunday cruise. Both will allow for a couple Jazz Fest days before or after the cruise. Would anyone who has sailed on both share any suggestions/comments/concerns to help me in this decision. Thank you.

I'm trying to plan a western carribbean trip out of New Orleans around Jazz Fest next year. Sounds fun, doesn't it? The Triumph is a Saturday cruise and the Spirit is a Sunday cruise. Both will allow for a couple Jazz Fest days before or after the cruise. Would anyone who has sailed on both share any suggestions/comments/concerns to help me in this decision. Thank you.

I don't believe RCCL has a "Spirit" ship. Are you talking about NCL's Spirit?

Yes, I do believe you're talking about the NCL Spirit, not RCCL. I have not cruised on that ship, but I have cruised on the Triumph twice this spring and am booking a 3rd Triumph cruise for this fall. That should tell you how much I like the Triumph! So, although I can't compare the two ships, I can tell you that the Triumph is a very nice, beautifully decorated ship. There is another thread going where someone asked for Triumph info and pics. You should check that out.

I agree with Grits53(Hi Jan!). I have never sailed with NCL but the Triumph is a great ship, and I hope to catch a good deal on another cruise on that ship.

I have seen price drops in the past month that are starting to look very inviting for this fall! Join us! :) (I'll post dates on our roll call. ;))

In an answer to the original question, we have been on both. Understand that both ships have different personalities. The Triumph and Spirit are both the same age. The Triumph is larger but their swimming pools may as well be classified as overgrown hot tubs (extremely small). There's no refrigerators in the Triumph cabins but the Spirit's balcony and above cabins do. The Spirit has coffee makers in the cabins, the Triumph doesn't. There's more "specialized" restaurants on the Spirit. Our Spirit balcony and cabin was larger than our sons SPA Cabin. The Triumph has an outside Theater (which is so loud you can't hear yourself think). The Triumph has a water slide (open only 5 hours daily with long lines) whereas the Spirit has a children's area pool w/smaller slide in the aft section. We enjoyed both ships but if we were to choose, it's be the NCL Spirit with the added port of call for a 7 night W/Caribbean cruise, the added On Board Credit on most of the cruises (even though the gratuities are $2 p/p more daily). I'm still trying to ascertain where RCCL was mentioned in your original post. Hope this helps you decide.

I've done both out of New Orleans and had a great time on both ships. I would base my decision on which one gives you the better price for the week that you want or which itinerary you prefer. Both ships are well maintained and you will enjoy either one if you approach the cruise with an open and positive mind. I plan on booking another cruise this November on one of those two ships and for me value for my dollar will be the determining factor.

Thanks for posting that question...I am on the fence over my December cruise. Spirit leaves for seven days on the 12th and the Triumph on the 13th for a five day. I have cruised with Carnival twice and had a blast both times, but would also like to try something different.

I priced an interior and balcony for two passengers on both sailings and the break down was...

Spirit interior...132.48 per day (928.48 for cruise). Spirit balcony...208.60 per day (1460.48 for cruise).

Triumph interior...111.?? per day (556.41 for cruise). Triumph balcony... 243.28 per day (1216.41 for cruise).

These prices include gratuities and military discount.

As of today I am still on the fence.

I've sailed both ships twice... my choice would be the Spirit. For a couple of different reasons. I love the huge variety of eating venues offered by NCL (some of these are an additional charge, but you can always eat in the dining room or buffet at no extra cost). The Spirit is a very unique ship with an extreme asian flair.

My only issues with the Spirit is the availability of quad cabins for people interested in something other than an inside cabin. Other than that, I have spent over 3 weeks aboard her and I'd sail her again anytime...

I was on the Triumph last week and while she was fine and we had a great time, The pools were over crowded, and while the food was pretty good all the way around, I wanted the variety I found on NCL, it would have been nice if the Triumph had a Supper Club, but no cigar. The kids club on the Spirit are far superior to what we experienced on the Triumph last week as well.

If you decide to cruise the Spirit, be sure to get on the Roll Call as NCL is usually very hospitable to Cruise Critic Members. In the past they have really bent over backwards for us on NCL.

We are doing the April 23rd, 2011 cruise on the Triumph (Saturday) out of New Orleans which is the week of jazzfest. We were able to score pre and post cruise hotels but at a premium cost because its jazzfest. Be prepared. We've cruised out of NOLA twice before , both on Carnival, and once out of Tampa on Carnival which stopped in New Orleans at Mardi Gras. We've never sailed on NCL. We are close to Platinum level on Carnival and the early saver price was very good.

We are sailing on the Triumph in Sept. and we sailed the NCL Spirit in 2007. I would not sail on the Spirit again, mainly because the food in the MDR was terrible. The Spirit is a beautiful ship but the piano bar was in the atrium and the shops are small so they always had tables set up in the atrium with items for sell. It always felt very crowded in the atrium. We did not like freestyle dining, the MDR was just not the same fun experience it is on Carnival. We did not eat in any of the extra charge restaurants because we had the in-laws with us and they did not want to try them.

We had a balcony cabin and it was smaller than Carnival and did not have a refrigerator, they may have added those during the upgrade after we cruised. The balcony was also smaller and the beds were hard, even with the eggcrate topper.

NCL does do a good job at debarkation and I liked the way the main theater had individual seats instead of bench seats. We still enjoyed our cruise, not going to let some crappy food ruin our vacation. We just won't be sailing on NCL again.

So I've made up my mind. Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm going to go with the Spirit for the following reasons:

1) Difference in cost is nominal

2) Spirit offers an extra port over Triumph

3) I'll be able to do two days of Jazz Fest pre-cruise and one day post-cruise.

4) We're cruising Carnival this December and will be able to do our own comparison for future sailings.

Oh what fun it is to plan!

Archived