Dress code in New Orleans

chadci

This is not cruise related but I'm not a member of any other travel board so I thought I would ask.

My wife and I will be traveling to New Orleans to celebrate my birthday. I've been doing a bit of reading and it looks like shorts, t-shirts or polo shirts don't cut it down there. We're fine with dressing up a bit for dinner but if we're out sight seeing do we need to run back to the hotel and change before going to get some lunch?

Also, any good tips on where to eat that's not a budget breaker?

This is not cruise related but I'm not a member of any other travel board so I thought I would ask.

My wife and I will be traveling to New Orleans to celebrate my birthday. I've been doing a bit of reading and it looks like shorts, t-shirts or polo shirts don't cut it down there. We're fine with dressing up a bit for dinner but if we're out sight seeing do we need to run back to the hotel and change before going to get some lunch?

Hi...unless you are planning doing it up in style at some of the fancier places to eat, then shorts, tees, polos, and cofortable clothes are definitely what you want to wear...when we were there last time it was about this time of the year and VERY VERY hot and HUMID....so if you are just going to be hanging out on Bourbon and sightseeing, there is absolutely no reason to dress it up at all....

As for places to eat, we always eat at Acme Oyster Bar for seafood, and we never leave NOLA without a muffelata from Central Grocery on Decator...and don't miss Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets.....For more info keep searching thru all the posts here on New Orleans and also you can go under PORT OF CALL and look for New Orleans..wealth of info there too....Hope this has helped some...have Fun!!!!

As long as you don't plan to eat at Emeril's, Brennans or those other "Nice" restaurants for dinner then you don't need to dress up. We went to New Orleans two days ago and I didn't see a single person in anything but casual clothing. It is awfully hot even after dark so I would suggest wearing something cool. We tried a new restaurant that was very good and prices were reasonable. This one is only a block or so down from Bourbon St. http://www.deanies.com/restaurant.html You can also go to www.tripadvisor.com and search for New Orleans and get lots of reviews on restaurants and attractions.

Chad,

About the only two places that come to mind that you will need a jacket for dinner would be Commander's Palace and Galatoire's. Everywhere else casual is the word. However, at some of the nicer restaurants you may want to forgo shorts and t-shirts for a business casual look. ;)

As you're asking about places to eat, check www.nomenu.com

Love having you come down to our neck of the woods.

Jorge

Thanks guys, I'll check out the menus. How icky is it going to be in early November?

Temperatures should be nice in November. It may be a little warm or it may be very cold. I have worn shorts on Christmas Day. :) Just check the forecast from the Weather Channel, etc.

Temperatures should be nice in November. It may be a little warm or it may be very cold. I have worn shorts on Christmas Day. :) Just check the forecast from the Weather Channel, etc.

Thanks. Sounds a lot like Savannah, GA. Another place I love. I have close friends there and we visited right after Christmas. We had about 1' of snow here and we were out on the beach feeding seagulls there :D

If you like po'boy sandwiches try Mother's (on Poydras) or Parasols (2533 Constance @ 3rd St.). Sooooo good. Now I'm hungry.

Mothers is great for breakfast too. We ate there last Sunday:D A good sized line will be formed there by 10AM and out the door by 10:30

So many great places to eat in NOLA. I can tell you that we've been going there for 10 years and we have at least 2 meals each visit at The Gumbo Shop. It's on St Peter, a few blocks from Bourbon in the Quarter. Check out their website - great prices, amazing food, true Creole cuisine. As others have said, unless it is a New Orleans "traditional establishment - Brennans.Galatoires, Antione's, Commanders Palace, Arnaud's - wardrobe is quite casual. Petunia's is a great breakfast/brunch place. Brandy milk punch to die for. :)

Archived