(American) Independence Day on the Independence OTS ?

I always thought there was a small irony, that I will be spending Independence Day, the 4th of July, marking our independence from the British; on the Independence of the Seas; a ship homeported in England, and filled with many Brits.

It's a big day for we Yanks. I'm sure the Indy will have it's share of Americans on the vessel but we will be in the minority. So, will there be an aknowledgement of the day in some fashion by the crew/management..or all things considered; soft peddle it? It's not an issue for me; just a curiosity.

I know the BIG deal will be the World Cup; especially if England manages to last that long.

Mitch (counting the days now..board in 13 days...)

A few years ago DH and I were in London on July 4th...A bit of irony, we thought. One of the pubs near where we were staying was offering a special "American Picnic" lunch for the 4th of July. I figured that was because England was happy to be rid of us at this point!

A few years ago DH and I were in London on July 4th...A bit of irony, we thought. One of the pubs near where we were staying was offering a special "American Picnic" lunch for the 4th of July. I figured that was because England was happy to be rid of us at this point!

LOL...good point! Maybe we will go to the Dog and Badger English pub to celebrate..more irony on the high seas! :)

I haven't been on that ship but I was on a cruise during the 4th once. I would think it would be the same fleet wide. But they had ballons and streamers around the pool deck, a "special American dinner", a deck party, and a the singers sang American songs.

The 4th is a pretty big deal here in the USA and even if you leave from England I'm sure your ship will still be a majority Americans ( at least mine was on my cruise from there). So I'm sure they will do something.

we were on the independence for thanksgiving, IOS had departed from southampton on its transatlantic to FL and they had many thanksgiving related things going on on the day

I haven't been on that ship but I was on a cruise during the 4th once. I would think it would be the same fleet wide. But they had ballons and streamers around the pool deck, a "special American dinner", a deck party, and a the singers sang American songs.

The 4th is a pretty big deal here in the USA and even if you leave from England I'm sure your ship will still be a majority Americans ( at least mine was on my cruise from there). So I'm sure they will do something.

It's a VERY big deal; but considering the original conflict; is it in bad taste to say, wave little American flags that day on board (we bought some). I mean, I know it's been over two centuries, and we are the best of friends and allies now...but; still...don't want to offend.

MItch

Archived