Pools on carnival ships

CallDOC

First, I have to admit I am a "FAN" of Carnival Cruises... so understand I am NOT bashing CCL... I just never read any posts about this. Am I the only one?

BUT, I wonder why Carnival pools are;

1- so small

* so many folks take advantage of the pools and yet they are all so small. I am certain that they could make them larger. Now, they are used for basically wading rather than swimming.

2- set up with stadium seating?

* of course there are 'chair hogs' on all ships but wonder why they set up the area with the levels rather than a larger single level?

3- and the Jacuzzi's?

* most have luke warm water, and no one seems to care about children in them? I am not just talking about the kids peeing in them! ROFL!

OK... bash me if you want, but I am just asking if anyone knows why?

Thanks for your responses..

DOC :cool:

What you said is objective enough. As best as I can tell, everything on a ship involves a trade-off. I'm just off the Glory this month. The amount of space devoted to food on the Lido deck is impressive and the ship sails for a number of weeks from NYC to Canada (too cold to spend much time in a bathing suit in June). There may or may not be a cost savings involved -- someone must know this -- and I did not meet one person who felt they were being overcharged for their cruise (despite many things that could be better, everyone I spoke with was having as nice a time as I had).

The stadium seating works well if you are watching a movie on deck under the stars. It also gives a feeling of more personal space. That said, I understand how you might not like it. On the Glory in June in Canada the area was never full because of the cool temperatures. I have no idea what it would be like at full capacity.

The water temperature is odd. Only the hot tubs were heated (not the pools, which were very cold) and the hot tubs were not too hot. Perhaps it costs less to heat this way. Perhaps it cuts down on people getting ill from spending too much time in the hot tubs. There were some people who watched a 2 hour movie while in the hot tub. That is not recommended in a hot tub that is really hot.

Still, Carnival always sails full. They must balance everything and give folks a cruise they are willing to pay for.

When designing a ship the most difficult engineering aspect is the size and locations of pools. It's very difficult to engineer a pool on a boat, the smaller it is the easier to engineer. I've been on many different ships on different lines and all pools at sea are on the small side.

As a side note to this, simply do the math. Water weighs approx 8 pounds per gallon. A 5000 gallon pool, which is small, holds 20 tons of water. Now this may not seem like a lot when you are talking about a ship that displaces 80,000 - 100,000 tons, but stability can be an issue when you consider that the pools are most often on or near the topmost deck, so you have to consider how pool size effects the balance of the ship.

Okay, now that I wrote that, I see someone else already addressed this issue, and there does not seem to be a delete button.

Jamers22 try the hot tubs on the Serenity deck with two hot tubs and no kids. I took a few pic's before everyone was up. Enjoy your trip we will be going on the Inspiration in Sept and the Legend in Dec.

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

P7100310.jpg

Archived