Rome Transfers

oldmedic

does anyone have information about the transfer services available in Rome? we will be in a villa @ 3-4 days prior to sailing. what does a transfer entail? Do they pick up at private villas? do they just take the luggage to the ship, or do they transfer luggage and passengers to the ship? I have knee problems and have trouble with stairs, will this be a problem getting to or on the ship? approximate cost? thanks for your thoughts/replies...

The trip from central Rome to the port at Civitavecchia is about 1 hour or so. Since you have trouble walking I highly recommend you hire a car to take you. They will pick you at your place in Rome and take care of all your luggage until you check it in with the cruise line's representative. There are many reputable companies who do this transfer. Search on these boards or on tripadvisor.com for recommendations. This does not come cheap; a sedan will run around 130-150 euros for 2 people. However, you may be able to cut the cost if you look on the "Roll Call" boards for your cruise to see if you can arrange to share a ride with other fellow cruisers. You might have to hire a minivan instead of a sedan for this. These companies charge per vehicle, not per person, so sharing the ride can really reduce the cost.

Many people on these boards take the train from Rome to the port, but since you have trouble walking I do not recommend this. My wife uses an electric scooter to get around and she could never do the train. First, the tracks for the Civitavecchia trains are usually #27-30 at Rome Termini station. This can easily be a 5-10 minute walk from where you enter the station. It's huge! It is highly likely you will have to use the underground tunnel at Civitavecchia to get from the platform to the station building and thus to the street. It's a lot of stairs, especially wtih luggage. It is then about a 4-block walk from the station at Civitavecchia to the entrance to the port, at which point you will then transfer to a bus to take you from the port entrance to your ship. You've now shlepped your luggage 3 times, at least. You CAN NOT walk inside the port.

If you decide to hire a car, be sure the company has a permit to go inside the port and take you as far as your ship's check-in point -- not just to the port entrance. It is a large port and your ship can be docked a mile from the entrance.

Archived