Semi formal dining attire?

HomelessBear

Hi everyone,

I have not been on a P&O cruise before, but am considering one on the Azura next year, as they have charter flights from UK, which are very convenient. Reading the brochure, it talks about 4 semi-formal nights on a 14 night cruise. Does this mean that guys have to wear a jacket as well as a shirt and tie, or is a shirt and tie sufficient? (With trousers obviously!!)

When I did Celebrity some years ago, they had semi-formal nights and a shirt and tie were fine for those, so I was just wondering.

Don't mean to start any sort of heated discussion, as I see that dining room attire questions can provoke such varied views. I am also NOT looking to get out of the guys wearing a jacket, I am just asking, as sometimes things translate differently from what the brochure says.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

The P&O blurb also says that men can wear a jacket and shirt which are appropriate to being worn without a tie e.g. linen jacket and shirt. We saw quite a few on Azura in May with Jackets and no ties on semi formal nights.

However, I would have to say we saw some on formal nights that looked like they had dressed for McDonalds. This included jeans, leggings and t-shirts albeit black ones.

It does seem strange that P&O are showing semi formal on Caribbean cruises on Azura as all other P&O fly cruises just have formal and smart casual to save on luggage weight. However it should be possible to manage with a bit of thinking. There are free self service laundry facilities on board, you just have to provide the soap powder or buy from the shop. The flights from Birmingham are very good, usually with Thomson, and they now have lots of legroom and take around 9 hours. On arrival in Barbados you get into a fleet of small buses on the tarmac and go straight to the ship so there is no waiting for your luggage or queueing for immigration. The luggage allowance is 23kg plus 5g hand luggage.

Brian

It does seem strange that P&O are showing semi formal on Caribbean cruises on Azura as all other P&O fly cruises just have formal and smart casual to save on luggage weight. However it should be possible to manage with a bit of thinking. There are free self service laundry facilities on board, you just have to provide the soap powder or buy from the shop. The flights from Birmingham are very good, usually with Thomson, and they now have lots of legroom and take around 9 hours. On arrival in Barbados you get into a fleet of small buses on the tarmac and go straight to the ship so there is no waiting for your luggage or queueing for immigration. The luggage allowance is 23kg plus 5g hand luggage.

Brian

Thank you Brian.

We have done a few caribbean Princess cruises with charter flights from Manchester and love giving the bags in at the airport and then not seeing them again until they arrive in your cabin. Also in Barbados getting off the plane, onto a bus and to the ship is great. No US immigration and an overnighter in a hotel. This is why we are considering the Azura for next year as it doesn't look as though Princess will be doing the charter flights again.

Much appreciated all your replies.

I think your supposed to wear a jacket but on the last cruise we did that had semi formal was a little warm in the dinning room, so I had to take my jacket off, (as did many others). I think the jacket part really depends on the temperature. I for one would rather people did not wear a jacket when its hot rather than smelling of sweat.

We did Ventura in the Caribbean last year and there were no semi formal nights.

Chris

Archived