Cozumel Scuba

Wyattsmom

Looking to try Beginning Scuba in Cozumel on Carnival Legend, but the Carnival excursion states no photography. Part of why I want to dive is to get better pictures than just snorkelling. Has anyone done this excursion and did they allow you to take pictures. Thanks.

Are you taking a "resort" type scuba excursion because you are not certified, or just taking an easy excursion for the fun of it? Either way, you should be able to do underwater photography. I would be very shocked that any honest excursion operator would prevent you from taking your own photos. If Carnival says no photos, it's because they most likely want to sell you theirs.

If you know the name of the excursion company, try posting this question on Scubaboard.com under the location/travel section. Someone might be able to answer your question. Also, maybe consider going with another scuba operator on Cozumel. There are plenty!

Have fun!

Looking to try Beginning Scuba in Cozumel on Carnival Legend, but the Carnival excursion states no photography. Part of why I want to dive is to get better pictures than just snorkelling. Has anyone done this excursion and did they allow you to take pictures. Thanks.

Wyattsmom-

Sorry, but the operator is absolutely correct to deny U/W photography to a Discover Dive participant - it's a safety issue. If you happen to hear of someone that will let you bring a camera as an uncertified diver, run the other way. You will be very busy diving on limited instruction, and adding a U/W camera is asking for a disaster.

Do your Discover dive, get hooked on diving, do an Open Water certification, get 50 or so dives in, and THEN think about an U/W camera.

To get good U/W photos, you need excellent control of your buoyancy and attitude in the water, and that only comes from lots of practice.

Have a wonderful time and dive safely.

Wendy

I agree with the majority of the posts that say a person doing a discover scuba dive should not even think about trying to take photos while on the dive.

If you want photos of YOU while on the dive, you would be able to arrange that with a private operator.

To me, it is obvious that the first response if from a non-scuba certified person.

Are you taking a "resort" type scuba excursion because you are not certified, or just taking an easy excursion for the fun of it? Either way, you should be able to do underwater photography. I would be very shocked that any honest excursion operator would prevent you from taking your own photos. If Carnival says no photos, it's because they most likely want to sell you theirs.

If you know the name of the excursion company, try posting this question on Scubaboard.com under the location/travel section. Someone might be able to answer your question. Also, maybe consider going with another scuba operator on Cozumel. There are plenty!

Have fun!

Poor advice for a non-certified diver. A new diver will have to learn how to dive, bouancy control, staying off of the reef, air conservation, and a myriad of other new skills long before underwater photography.

I concur that if you find an operator who is willing to teach you a short course and then while diving at depth trying to learn to be a photographer, then you have stumbled across an operator who is not concerned with the reef, or will take you to a sand bottom and let you wander around shooting less than ideal subjects.

It doesn't take but a short time to get your C Card and a few dives under the belt to maximize your skills and safety, and you will be in business to start learning to engage in underwater photography.

The other thing you will be worrying about in Cozumel will be the current as almost every dive I have ever made in Cozumel is a drift dive...leading to another complication for a rookie trying to take photos....

I just dove with Carnival last month....I dove with three different dive operators in 3 different countries...all the dive operators allowed cameras on the dives. But, these were certified dives, not discover scuba. All of the dive operators took a video of our dives, then tried to sell them to us.

20 years ago, before I was certified, I always took my dive camera with me on dives. The camera is on a strap which you can connect via a retractable dive clip. I then either tuck the camera inbetween my BCD shoulder area or tuck in into a velcro'ed pocket.

I am sure the reasoning is three-fold with a discover scuba. 1) Reef protection 2) Your protection 3) $$$$ (sell you video or pictures)

The two Cozumel Dives last month were drift dives....for the inexperienced, this can be a little hard. You will want to fight the current, you will be using your air more than an experienced diver, and you may experience buoyancy problems.

If you feel you must bring your camera, then attach it like I do to your BCD and tuck it into your BCD pocket...If you feel totally comfortable under the water and aren't having any of the issues all the posters have warned you about...you'll have your camera.

As a side note *** Unless you have a professional dive camera, the deeper you go the worse your pictures (less light). So actually your snorkel pictures may just be better than your dive pictures.

See you at the bottom!

I thought of one more thing you might consider if you decided to take the camera along. 90% of all underwater cameras that people use for snorkling can only go to a depth of 15 feet max. Check your manual and make sure it will take pictures at a depth of 50ft+. You should only be going to a depth of 30-40 ft. You may also damage your camera and it may leak for future uses. My first 35mm dive camera had a depth of 30 feet, and sure enough once you hit 30+ feet the picture button would be sucked down and wouldn't work. You could take it to 100 feet, but it would only take pictures at 30 feet or less. If yours doesn't have a good depth testing on it....don't bother trying to take it.

• 4 weeks later...

If you really want to have a good time, I would drop the Discover Scuba course all together, and enrol in a PDI-certified "open water" course in your home town, and then go on regular scuba excursions on board.

1) you'll have a much better training than you can have on board.

2) you'll be a better diver after you get your open-water certification.

3) you won't be spending as much of your time on board your cruise ship doing classroom and pool classes.

4) you will have a lot more fun during your dives and go to much better places and see much more stuff, plus you'll be able to take pictures!

I looked into this "Discover Scuba" course, and the more I read about it, the more I thought against doing it.

Archived