Takshanuk

pal4404

We need to make sure we introduce ourselves. As you have cruised Alaska before and this is our first, for that matter our first cruise, I am going to pick your brain. I had a difficult time deciding whether to take the White Pass Train, Jeep tour to the Yukon or this tour. After much deliberation the Takshanuk tour won out. My husband is a man of action so I was concerned he would get bored on the Train. The option of the Catamaran to Haines and possible water fowl is what tipped the scales in favor of this tour as well as the fact we can take a short Tour to the Summit at 3:15 and hopefully capture some of the scenery we missed by not taking the train. Our port time is short in Juneau so weather permitting we are dogsledding the Mendenhall on a 7:00 a.m. tour hopeful allowing time to tour the fish hatchery. My husband is in food service sales and is always eager to see anything related to food sources. Ketchican we are doing a float plane tour. What have I missed? Hopefully there will be sufficient free time to get a flavor of each town.

I wonder if we will end up on the same tour...not sure since we are on different ships, yet the timing seems right.

It sounds like you've made some good plans. My mom did the float plane out of Ketchikan a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Last year, in Juneau, we went to Mendenhall Glacier on the blue bus, then just wandered around town. In Ketchikan, we did the Ducks Tour and were very disappointed. I'm sure it all depends on the tour person and ours was just awful. After that we just wandered around town and shopped. In Skagway, we did a tour through Chilkoot Charters that included a small bus up to Emerald Lake, stop at Caribou Crossing (where we had lunch and did a dog sled ride) then the train down. We enjoyed the bus ride and Caribou Crossing, but the train did not thrill us - it might have been due to it being a fairly warm, sunny day and the train having no windows that could open. We were very uncomfortable! I think on a cooler day, it might have been more enjoyable - and the scenery was breathtaking.

Last year, the rivers were all stuffed with fish, so even if you don't have time to tour the hatchery, you can still see lots of them. It was pretty interesting to watch them flopping around.

Thanks karatemom! I don't seem to have much luck searching - although it never occurred to me to try that this time. Oops...

I did see quite a few positive reviews on Trip Advisor as well. I'm really looking forward to this excursion now!

Archived