Excursion with 1-yr. old...what do we need to bring?

drumline13

Hello,

My wife and I are first-time parents who will be cruising with our 1-yr-old in the Caribbean. We would like to take some simple excursions (scenic drive tours....and/or beach "tours"). For anyone who has done so, did you bring a car seat on the tour? What about those "open air" taxis that they have in St. Thomas.....can our child sit on our lap (and is this safe)?

Are there any other items (i.e. umbrella stroller?) that you think are absolutely necessary for a baby on an excursion??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello,

My wife and I are first-time parents who will be cruising with our 1-yr-old in the Caribbean. We would like to take some simple excursions (scenic drive tours....and/or beach "tours"). For anyone who has done so, did you bring a car seat on the tour? What about those "open air" taxis that they have in St. Thomas.....can our child sit on our lap (and is this safe)?

Are there any other items (i.e. umbrella stroller?) that you think are absolutely necessary for a baby on an excursion??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Depends on where all you go. St Thomas taxis might be safer than one in Mexico..holding a child on your lap is only safe is nothing happens! I havent researched St Thomas, but you might find a private taxi tour that would be able to furnish you with a car seat, or if you bring your own, make sure they have seat belts to secure a car seat with. We wont take a chance with a 10 ride with our baby sitting on our laps..some ppl would.

dont bother with the carseat, but an umbrella stroller might be very handy.

We rented a car in st. croix last jan with 1y/o DD with us, (DH is very familiar with st criox and wanted to drive us around on his own) and they were able to provide us with a convertable carseat (safty 1st brand). That was the only time we were in a vehicle off ship. However, from the hotel in san juan to the ship, and from ship to airport I held DD on my lap.

I've mentioned this before, but when we went to St. Thomas with our 11 month old, we did bring the carseat and when we got off the ship we just asked the taxi dispatcher for a van rather than an open air taxi and we were able to install the carseat - no problem. Yes, it meant having to lug it to the beach with us, but I would have rather stayed on the ship than take her anywhere without one... just MHO.

We pretty much stuck to beach type excursions that didn't need transportation or shopping right outside of the ship with our stroller. Some transportation on the islands don't have seat belts, some didn't have room for bigger strollers, etc. It was a hassle so we kept it simple while they were really little. Make sure you have plenty of sunblock, hats, sun shirts, life jacket (if in water or beach), bottled water, prebagged snacks (like goldfish or graham crackers) because in some ports you can't bring food from the ship and you don't know what will be available for the baby to eat and diapers. Those were the must haves in addition to all the other stuff you have to bring!!

When my DS was younger, we did not take his car seat. Please don't flame. I tended to pick excursions that would not be car seat friendly - like buses - or else water excursions. I even @ 4 years old just buckled him into a taxi seat in Cozumel. Now that he is in a booster alone, it is easier - we just strap that to the back of the back pack. Because we were taking longer, higher speed drives, we took it to Canada last week. We used it in both Saint John (rental car) and in Halifax (van taxi).

It is really up to you and your comfort level. Do I believe car seats save lives, absolutely. Do I want my kid in one whenever possible? Absolutely. But all of us over the age of 35 are still here and never rode in one. That is just my way of keeping it all in perspective.

Archived