Which hotel would you choose?

jhawks

This is probably a really silly question, BUT, all the pictures I've seen of the Hotel Continental showed double beds only.

I'm traveling with my Aunt and will need two singles. They must certainly have them, right? I know, silly question but I thought why not ask here before sending the hotel an email and have possible translation issues.

I probably do just that...ask for a room with 2 singles, right? :)

This will be my 1st trip to Spain and I want to make everything special for my Aunt who is a very spry lady at 78 and will probably walk my 54 yo legs off.

I'm not sure that this is the Hotel for us yet as I'm still in the research stage but I really appreciate reading the thread.

Thanks in advance.

Have received info back from the Continental and Jazz hotels for Sept 2011 but have not found a travel website that has dates beyond a year. Do I have to wait until October or is this normal ? Is there another way of getting information now that I can compare to what the hotels have provided me ?

Most hotels do not book more than a year in advance. The best way to get info on hotels is to read reviews on Trip Advisor or other travel sites. You can just google the hotel with city and you will get loads of reviews and you won't have to navigate the travel sites.

Have received info back from the Continental and Jazz hotels for Sept 2011 but have not found a travel website that has dates beyond a year. Do I have to wait until October or is this normal ? Is there another way of getting information now that I can compare to what the hotels have provided me ?

We booked the Continental over a year out, but had to do it through the hotel itself, travel sites would not go that far out. If you want comparisons, I would run the dates a year earlier, figure a slight increase for inflation, and that would give you a general idea as to where the prices from the hotel stand. Prices for us went up 2E from the time we booked, (they warned us they might), but 2E isn't enough to cry over.

The Hotel Continental does have elevators, right? I was reading on Trip Advisor that it's sister property the Continental Palacete is not very luggage accessable. I just wanted to make sure that my not so small suitcase woudn't be a problem. :eek:

I booked into the Hotel Continental for May 2011 today so that's another item off my to-do list.

I got a room inside so I don't think the noise from the street should be a problem at all.

Interesting that when checking availabillity on Trip Advisor, they said that there was no availability...so I went directly to the Hotels website and filled out their reservation form and they had various categories of rooms available. And done...room reservation....check!

Kathy

I don't understand the fascination with the Hotel Continental. So many better and equally priced accomodations in Barcelona, especially if you book early. Stayed there once, and that was enough.

I don't understand the fascination with the Hotel Continental. So many better and equally priced accomodations in Barcelona, especially if you book early. Stayed there once, and that was enough.

we are debating bw the HC and NH Duc de la Victoria... HC is 14 euro more a night. Is it not worth it?

we are debating bw the HC and NH Duc de la Victoria... HC is 14 euro more a night. Is it not worth it?

The bigest differences I can see between the two hotels are unlimited free internet, closer to the metro, and the 24 hr buffet with soda fountian at the HC. Being right on La Rambla can be a plus or minus depending on your prefrences. I think the reviews for NH Victoria are a little better for the condition of the hotel.

I know a lot of people don't like the HC but there are a lot of people that do really like it. We all have different tastes which is nice because then we all don't want to stay at the same hotel:D.

How many nights are you staying and what kind of price are you paying ?

Is the HC a hotel that you can cancel and rebook if prices drop and at no cost to do so ?

The Hotel Continental does have elevators, right? I was reading on Trip Advisor that it's sister property the Continental Palacete is not very luggage accessable. I just wanted to make sure that my not so small suitcase woudn't be a problem. :eek:

I booked into the Hotel Continental for May 2011 today so that's another item off my to-do list.

I got a room inside so I don't think the noise from the street should be a problem at all.

Interesting that when checking availabillity on Trip Advisor, they said that there was no availability...so I went directly to the Hotels website and filled out their reservation form and they had various categories of rooms available. And done...room reservation....check!

Kathy

There are a few threads if you search Hotel Continental. Here is one that includes some pictures. Take note of the mans feet while laying down on the bed.

Shak

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1121538&highlight=hotel+continental

In this picture, where they extend beyond the end of the bed? DH (who is 6') noticed the same problem at Continental Palacete.

We stayed at the Hotel Continental last year (loved it) but the elevator broke down one evening/into morning. Seems like I've read other comments about the elevator being down and having to hike up/down the stairs. Anyway, we're staying again this November and since husband is in wheelchair this year, am concerned about it -- does anyone know if there is a freight or rear service elevator that can be used in emergencies?

Archived